Skip to content

The tips and tricks thread

Comments

• Crorr said:
    Just so people have a scope of what the game means, bring at least 40 repairkits, 2 astromechs, and 10 kinetic batteries to the level 10 quest. Be prepared to end up at a net loss for your trouble, discounting xp.
    Thank you so much for posting this. Was wondering about the resources required for that quest.
  • Maruna said:
    Crorr said:
    Just so people have a scope of what the game means, bring at least 40 repairkits, 2 astromechs, and 10 kinetic batteries to the level 10 quest. Be prepared to end up at a net loss for your trouble, discounting xp.
    You should need close to that many. I went with 10 kits and 1 mech, and still came out almost full on shields. The ammo is about right, though.
    Ten batteries??? The heck, I took four and still had excess afterwards.
  • Indi said:
    config MXP on

Thanks, I had just finished making some of those clickable with triggers. Now I don't have to go through and finish the rest of them. That was a big help. Thanks a lot for posting that.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • edited December 2018
    Maruna said:
    Crorr said:
    You should need close to that many. I went with 10 kits and 1 mech, and still came out almost full on shields. The ammo is about right, though.
    What were you guys doing. I didn't have a Mech, did not use a kit. Reloaded twice and absolutely creamed all 4 defenders first time round. Walked out with 26% Hull and 100% Shields. Hurah.
  • Aerry said:
    Maruna said:
    Crorr said:
    What were you guys doing. I didn't have a Mech, did not use a kit. Reloaded twice and absolutely creamed all 4 defenders first time round. Walked out with 26% Hull and 100% Shields. Hurah.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Who knows, maybe it was yet another bug. The first defender I went through nearly 5 whole batteries before he dropped, hence needing mech.
  • Likewise I loaded my standard 30 repair kits and...Oh, bother.
    Marks to algae chips says the enemies scale to Captaincy rating. I was at 4.18 when I started. (notable because at the time I was in the top 100 in the rankings.)
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • Range impacts it a lot.  I have had as little as 70 damage at range up to 700 damage when they're midway between the edge of the cone and me, then down to 230 when they're super close.
  • It really depends on the player, I think. A lot of people, at that point in the tutorial, are overwhelmed, and don't react quickly or catch on to the fact that they have to kill the defenders first (and so waste rounds on the platform). But if you're still fresh of mind, you catch on quickly to what you need to do.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Things moving so quickly doesn't help. Plus the space map being so spammy, so if no map capture, it really hurts you.
  • I am on the level 10 storyline quest. Not having a map capture on Mudlet really hurt me. I ran through all 50 kits and died on the third ship. It was also taking like 15 shots to kill one ship. I was also like one or two squares away from the enemy ship and on the third ship I wasn't paying attention and was trying to target the ship behind me. I made a few to many mistakes from the start. My Captaincy is only at level 1 and that was only my first real space fight.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
  • Sethysia said:
    -- Breakers #1 (breakers) -----------------------------------------------------
    Make:     Akari Yards              Class:    Interceptor
    Model:    Corsair                  Owner:    Unknown
    Hull:     75%                      Shields:  75%
    Bearing:  Southeast                Distance: 1su
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out that you can figure out the hull and shield numbers of the incursions.
    When you're locked on, simply SHIP SCAN. Or you can SHIP SCAN SHIP #XXX

Is it actually working now, though? Last I checked the enemy Hull and Shields were both just printing your own ship's hull.
  • Aebrua said:
    Sethysia said:
    -- Breakers #1 (breakers) -----------------------------------------------------
    Make:     Akari Yards              Class:    Interceptor
    Model:    Corsair                  Owner:    Unknown
    Hull:     75%                      Shields:  75%
    Bearing:  Southeast                Distance: 1su
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out that you can figure out the hull and shield numbers of the incursions.
    When you're locked on, simply SHIP SCAN. Or you can SHIP SCAN SHIP #XXX

Is it actually working now, though? Last I checked the enemy Hull and Shields were both just printing your own ship's hull.
    I believe so. My shields were at 90% 
  • Hunt in groups. The less you have to heal and stop, the more killing you can do. This also lets you take on stuff you normally couldn't kill. 

Experience is shared based on damage dealt to the target, Junk is random among damage-dealers, and Equipment only goes to the one that lands the killing blow(If there is any)

@Rkansas HMU ig, I can send you a starmap script and numpad movement keys for mudlet.
  • Ronin said:
     Equipment only goes to the one that lands the killing blow(If there is any)

I got gear from stuff Vorn killed when we were grinding together this past weekend.
  • @Ronin Thanks, but I am about to buy the GUI from Kaguya and I don't have a keypad for my laptop yet. Thanks anyway.
  • Kaedok said:
    Ronin said:
     Equipment only goes to the one that lands the killing blow(If there is any)

I got gear from stuff Vorn killed when we were grinding together this past weekend.
    oh? I didn't think that was possible. Good to know though!
  • Does Nexus have a keypad option for space flight?  Also, what is map capture and is it something to worry about in Nexus client?
  • Map capture means you splice away the space map / starchart map onto its own separate mini window, so that not all of it floods the main screen. Nexus already does this natively, I think, so it's nothing to worry about.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • rockmorg said:
    Does Nexus have a keypad option for space flight?  Also, what is map capture and is it something to worry about in Nexus client?
    Not built-in, no.

Map capture is what Nexus does to redirect the maps into the map window that you see up in the corner. You don't need to worry about it in the Nexus client.
  • Worth taking a look at Migi's thread on the subject of keypad space flight. She and I made a couple of options (and if you don't like the values we picked for some keys it's probably still easier to install one and modify the keys than build it up from scratch.)
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • edited January 2019
    What am I doing wrong here? I feel dumb. - botched the copy/paste up a bit royally

armor list
    10:43:24 -----------------------------------< Used armor >-----------------------------------
    10:43:24 Slot    ID      Upgrade                                      Level   Quality  Health
    10:43:24 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10:43:24 torso   176549  a Tuffy Solutions Hunter I                   14      100.00%     87%

ii armor
    10:43:26 You are holding:
    10:43:26 chestpiece81180          a Microsun Defense Oryso MD-2 Pro

ab exploration comparison
    10:43:35 -- COMPARISON (Exploration) ---------------------------------------------------
    10:43:35 You can compare the features of two weapons, or two pieces of armor. All the relevant stats are listed, including mods.
    10:43:35 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10:43:35 Skill:                  Exploration
    10:43:35 Command:                COMPARE <ITEM 1> [IN SHOP] [AND ITEM 2 [IN SHOP]
    10:43:35 Known:                  Yes
    10:43:35 Lessons:                48 Lessons
    10:43:35 Ability type:           Noncombat utility
    10:43:35 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

compare 176549 and 81180
    10:43:49 You can find nothing called '176549'.

compare 81180 and 176549
    10:44:07 You can find nothing called '81180'.

compare torso and chestpiece
    10:44:12 Comparing a Microsun Defense Oryso MD-2 Pro to itself would be quite pointless.

compare chestpiece and torso
    10:44:17 Comparing a Microsun Defense Oryso MD-2 Pro to itself would be quite pointless.

compare chestpiece and 81180
    10:44:51 Comparing a Microsun Defense Oryso MD-2 Pro to itself would be quite pointless.

compare torso and 81180
    10:44:55 Comparing a Microsun Defense Oryso MD-2 Pro to itself would be quite pointless.

compare chestpiece and 176549
    10:45:01 You can find nothing called 'chestpiece'.

compare torso and 176549
    10:45:05 You can find nothing called 'torso'.

• Try to just COMPARE 81180
  • @eoleva Compare torso TO 176549
  • For future reference when it comes to IRE games... If something is between square brackets, it's optional.
    COMPARE 12345 AND 54321, if they're both chestpieces, would compare your current one against both of them. It's not comparing the two items with one another.
  • doing WW REGENERATE can drastically speed up your recovery times between fights. Do wish there was an option to specifically mend my health though.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • If you're having trouble finding the gear you need in your late 20s, hold off for a bit. The L30 story quest sends you to a zone you will never be able to access again upon completion, but its shops stock a lot of very good L30 gear for very reasonable prices (300 marks a piece). Take advantage of this. You're unlikely to find a deal this good again.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood