Skip to content

The Ideas Thread

Comments

• Zil said:
    Can we get some kind of warning when attempting to DOCK a ship at a station while your gas scoops are deployed?
    Huh, I thought there was one...
  • Should we put artifact ideas here, or could we make a different thread? I had an idea for Dockmasters Blackmail, an artifact that gives you free cargo storage on a specific station.
  • Artifact Idea, OR expensive ship module thing: a mobile cloning station for your ship. It has to be installed in another room, but has a cooldown period of half an hour or something. It respawns with the ship and can be moved for a cost to another ship.
  • I've noticed that taking people along to bash is actually counterproductive for getting xp. I enjoy the bashing and questing, and while I get that the main storyline is a personal experience,  it would be nice to bring a friend or two around with me the rest of the time! Improvements on that would be awesome. Enjoying the game so far. :)
  • Minei said:
    Can we have either CONFIG MASOCHISM or some target dummies to quickly test skills on? Thematically I also think being able to go into some combat simulator where you beat up a virtual target for the sake of practice would be neat. But I'll take any solution.
    We have the arena on Omni Station for that.
  • Can we get the armor slots to recognize common alternative names? IE: "chest" or "chestpiece" as well as "torso", "foot" as well as "feet", etc?
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • Can we get channeltells? eg ftells, crtells, etc. Dunno why we wouldn't have that.
  • It's HISTORY (channel). HISTORY FT, HISTORY NEWBIE. No history for CRT, though.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Can we get FW switched on as the shortened form of FWHO? Yes I know I can write an alias, yes I know I'm petty for refusing to, pls don't say mean things to me.
  • I did IDEA this already, but, some way of locating NPCs since you can't WALK TO them. I understand not having walk to. It's so easy it's almost like cheating, and there's little to no IC reason for knowing where every being in the Galaxy is. But it's also a pain to have to wander a whole area in search of an NPC, at least when it is a large area.

I suggest having a directory in each area (at least the larger ones) that you can use commands to locate the local NPCs. It doesn't even have to be exact directions; just a hint would suffice. Example: you're trying to find Jonah Feng because he's listed in HELP STARTER QUESTS and you like questing for marks and XP. So you go to the directory and DIRECTORY SEARCH JONAH. (It's basically like using a digital phone book. no reason the future wouldn't have the ability to Google people). It would return "Jonah Feng    Near the GRAVITY bar, Jonah Feng resides in the residential tubes." Or something like that, I don't know.

Another example is that you know Tonk runs the area's weapon shop and you can't remember where that is. Yes, I have walked all around a whole area looking for that. There was a landmark for armor, but Tonk was not right next to it like I thought it might be.

Even the simplest direction, like knowing the object is in the southwest part of the area, would be a huge help.
  • edited December 2018
    Showing damage numbers when you get hit, similar to how you can get the healing amount from wetwiring and the numbers when you hit others.

Also, unless I'm overlooking it, there's no way to see what other ships are docked somewhere, similar to how you can see at cosmpiercers.
  • It would be helpful if props were colored differently in the room descriptions. It is a little overwhelming for me to try to take in what is in a room with the comparatively large amount of stuff in the rooms here compared to other IRE games.
  • edited December 2018
    Ialador said:
    It would be helpful if props were colored differently in the room descriptions. It is a little overwhelming for me to try to take in what is in a room with the comparatively large amount of stuff in the rooms here compared to other IRE games.
    Config color will let you customize that! :)

Edit: misread props for people, oops. Definitely agree with a different color or even an IGNORE PROPS config for ql
  • Smaller suggestion: Eliminate coded delays in movement, such as lifts and transports.  They're really cool for flavor, but quickly become a detraction from game enjoyment.

Distance starship travel also falls under this, though I expect that to improve as characters acquire bigger, more capable ships with skipdrives and better engines.
  • edited December 2018
    Also a qol emote with the following added to @name:

@name_his @name_her @name_their (as needed)

So doing EMOTE posts on @Tecton_his forums would read "Flipilaria posts on his forums" for third party and "Flipilaria posts on your forums for Tecton.

Also:
    @name 's
    Ex: I type "Emote posts on @Tecton 's forums"
    Third party sees "Flipilaria posts on Tecton forums"
    Tecton sees "Flipilaria posts on your forums"
  • Also the ability to reference items in an emote please. Ex:

Emote raises #glass12345 into the air and toasts Starmourn's forums.

Would display to others as

Flipilaria raises a clear glass tumbler into the air and toasts Starmourn's forums
  • Hake BEAST's WEAPON LIST at least have the same information as everyone else's WEAPON LIST. Especially health!
    Ally/enemy colors in QW.
    FACTIONTELLS/CREWTELLS/etc...?
  • Nosta said:
    FACTIONTELLS/CREWTELLS/etc...?
    Can't be done for CRW, but HISTORY FT gives you recent FT tells.
  • Are ship vitals and such accessible via GMCP? If no, can it?  =)
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Also a qol emote with the following added to @name:

@name_his @name_her @name_their (as needed)

So doing EMOTE posts on @Tecton_his forums would read "Flipilaria posts on his forums" for third party and "Flipilaria posts on your forums for Tecton.

Also:
    @name 's
    Ex: I type "Emote posts on @Tecton 's forums"
    Third party sees "Flipilaria posts on Tecton forums"
    Tecton sees "Flipilaria posts on your forums"
    piggybacking for a concise list because I like literary-style flow to my emotes: (italics is replaced with 'you'/'your'/'yours' for the target)

@name's (Maven posts on Tecton's forums)
    @name_his (Maven posts on his forums)
    @name_he (Tecton thinks she's awesome!)
    @name_him (Maven tells Deu what she thinks of them!)
    @name_race (Crorr shakes his head at the ry'nari in barely concealed disappointment.)
    @name_title (Deu rolls its eyes and turns its back on the spacer.) (defaults to faction if no title set)
    @name_faction (Maven points accusingly at the Singer.)
    @name_class (Dracunos thumps his chest and prepares to charge the nanoseer.)
    @name_aclass (Markus points to an engineer and says "You. Fix this!")
    @name_([you|your|yours],<phrase>) (set a custom field. This one should also echo the third person phrase to the target in case someone is trying to be an ass.)

For that last one, providing the input: EMOTE growls posessively at @maven while holding @ekko_(you,his lizard), snarling "Mine!"
    Maven sees:
    Crorr growls possessively at you while holding his lizard, snarling "Mine!"

Ekko sees:
    Crorr growls possessively at Maven while holding you, snarling "Mine!"
    [During the last emote, a custom phrase was targeted to you. The third party message reads 'his lizard' to any third parties.]

Third parties see:
    Crorr growls possessively at Maven while holding his lizard, snarling "Mine!"
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • A way to unmark items as junk so we can keep them. 
  • Gentle reminder that this thread is great, and the admins do peruse it from time to time that I've seen, but some of these simpler ones would probably be better using the in-game IDEA syntax.
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • Could we please get the IRE Chrome Extension working with Starmourn? It's been years since I've played IRE so I had to reinstall it, as I had fond memories of it being very useful for checking news/messages on the fly. But it isn't synched up yet. Pretty please. :mrgreen:

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited December 2018
    BEAST stuff:

A DEPLOY and REVERT command. These would be purely cosmetic. DEPLOY fully deploys your suit. It alters your description to an armoured one you specify, and hides your skin, eyes, and regular clothing, among other traits. REVERT draws back your suit, retracting it into a bulky harness or what have you, returning you to your normal appearance, and exposing your clothing. The harness could provide an explanation as to why you can still use your MWP abilities. 

Let us have a command to talk through loudspeakers! We can do it through emotes but it feels cheap. 

Mentions of spacewalking in help files - surely the suit can double as a space suit? 
  • edited December 2018
    Hold up! Other idea: 

Let BEASTs light cigarettes with plasma jets. And let engineers do it with welding torches, just to be fair. Bonus points if we are allowed to light someone else's cigarette in this manner.