Skip to content

The Ideas Thread

Post your ideas for features/improvements/changes for the game!

Here's a small one to start: I think it would be really useful to be able to tell that someone is in combat when you walk into their room. For example, instead of just 'Zil is here.' it could be something like 'Zil is braced for action here.' Toggles on and off with the combat flag. I know this already exists for when people are in cover, but I notice that quite often while hunting, they aren't.

Comments

• Another one!

The ability to JUNK SCRAP ALL [WEAPONS|ARMOR]. Unless I'm missing something, the current method is to do [ARMOR|WEAPON] LIST INV and then scrap each piece individually by ID number, which takes forever!
  • You can JUNK SCRAP ARMOR easily as it won't attempt to scrap what you're wearing. Weapons get more tricky.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • End incursions immediately when the number of remaining targets reaches 0%. I've seen a few where the targets reach 0% long before the time has ended, so you have to sit and wait, and wait, and wait until the incursion ends and a new one spawns.
    More incursions. Currently too few and too far apart for the number of players, IMO.

Move Detonate in Captaincy to one of the first abilities in the skillset. Why? It sucks being stranded with a beat up ship that doesn't move anymore. That is, until some sort of towing/salvage service can be implemented.

If Scatterhome's current list of calls is an indication, might want to put a playtime requirement on eligibility for making calls so that people don't create alts just to spam/support/oppose them. With faction influence factoring in, I'm sure the support/oppose wouldn't be a huge problem later on since new characters start with very low influence vs established characters' 1k+, but right now it could be a potential issue.
  • A separate inventory section for junk items. Currently, they all get lumped in together in the 'You have:' section, and it gets very spammy in there while hunting. It would be nice to have them listed separately from your other items.
  • I don't know if this is a thing at all, but perhaps a tractor beam for cargo? I found the the remains of a ship and it was very damaging to loot. Maybe a special module for salvaging?
  • Would it be possible to grab a level 2 hacking terminal in Song Space? Or maybe if there's one for training could it be added to the list in help hacking?
  • I don't know if this is a thing already with no helpfile on it. I think though there should be an option to allow us newbies to quit a class at anytime before reaching level 15(?) and learn another without penalty. Also to tack on, that perhaps in the future, classflex/multiclassing may be a thing? These classes are pretty awesome and sometimes we might want to play a class one day, and be like "I feel like being a nanoseer today instead" and get to classflex into that class instead. Just my two cents 
  • Nakis said:
    I don't know if this is a thing at all, but perhaps a tractor beam for cargo? I found the the remains of a ship and it was very damaging to loot. Maybe a special module for salvaging?
    As in the cargo was in somewhere that did damage to your ship to fly through?
    Illidaen said:
    I don't know if this is a thing already with no helpfile on it. I think though there should be an option to allow us newbies to quit a class at anytime before reaching level 15(?) and learn another without penalty. Also to tack on, that perhaps in the future, classflex/multiclassing may be a thing? These classes are pretty awesome and sometimes we might want to play a class one day, and be like "I feel like being a nanoseer today instead" and get to classflex into that class instead. Just my two cents 
    You can CLASS QUIT to leave your class without loss up until you've invested 800 lessons in a class skill, See CLASS STATUS for eligibility.
  • Could we please have a PATH SEARCH command like Imperian has? Purdy please?  o:)

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• I notice that a good chunk of the questions being asked on NEWBIE and FT are related to directions. "How do I get go x from y?"

Being able to do something like PLOT ROUTE TO <place name> and have it return a step-by-step list of the stops to take would be amazing.

Going one step further and being able to then automatically follow the plotted route would be good too.
  • Zil said:
    A separate inventory section for junk items. Currently, they all get lumped in together in the 'You have:' section, and it gets very spammy in there while hunting. It would be nice to have them listed separately from your other items.
    You have:
    10 cylindrical quantum power cells, a pair of goggles, and an engineer's workstation.

Your Junk-in-the-Trunk™ is currently holding: 17 pieces of junk

You are wearing:
    a heat-blackened blaster belt, a pair of worn-out combat boots, and a high visibility jumpsuit.
  • edited December 2018
    Tecton said:
    Nakis said:
    I don't know if this is a thing at all, but perhaps a tractor beam for cargo? I found the the remains of a ship and it was very damaging to loot. Maybe a special module for salvaging?
    As in the cargo was in somewhere that did damage to your ship to fly through?

Because I'm really, really bad at using actual terms right now sooo....

It was a planet with a ring of debris like Saturn has. It looked like someone was autopiloting and got caught bouncing back and forth (autopilot once set me through a debris field and almost took my shields out completely) and exploded. So I had to slide in slow to collect the cargo and then wait for my shields to regen.
  • NANO SCAN would become at least 200% more useful if along with room names, it listed the vnums for each room, as a lot of rooms in the same area have the same name.
  • edited December 2018
    Can killing Denizens in Song impact your Influence since we can’t enemy people right now?

Second idea, ability to bring your crew on board your ship fast, without having to set a million perms. Or else being able to allow all in your crew perms.

• edited December 2018
    If you have a cosmpiercer and another org starts to take it, it should warn your org. Taking a cosmpiercer should lock it out from being taken by someone else for a short while.

Cheaper guards. For now, 25k is insane.

Passive defenses for org territory.

HELP COSMPIERCER really needs to be updated, especially with pertinent information like how often it pays and how much.
  • edited December 2018
    Question: I see a lot of people having to ask others to scuttle their ship, or being unable to blow up their own bots if they don't have homeport. Is it possible to put self destructs or releases a little lower down so we don't have to rely on others so much to allow us to operate normally again? Or even being able to slowly repair your ship, unless there's already a way and I just don't know it. Essentially all I'm asking is a way for lowbies to have it easier to reset, even if it takes time, so they can continue playing. I understand homeport isn't far up, but for the new player it's not really something you think about.
  • Nakis said:
    Question: I see a lot of people having to ask others to scuttle their ship, or being unable to blow up their own bots if they don't have homeport. Is it possible to put self destructs or releases a little lower down so we don't have to rely on others so much to allow us to operate normally again? Or even being able to slowly repair your ship, unless there's already a way and I just don't know it. Essentially all I'm asking is a way for lowbies to have it easier to reset, even if it takes time, so they can continue playing. I understand homeport isn't far up, but for the new player it's not really something you think about.
    Tecton said that a system to recover ships would be available at some point.
  • Well, mainly I was hoping to push out something in the interim, even a self destruct early on to recover the ship faster.
    • Prone status should be passed through GMCP.
    • Max experience should be listed in SCORE, and also passed through GMCP.
  • Kestrel said:
    Could we please have a PATH SEARCH command like Imperian has? Purdy please?  o:)
    Other than the LANDMARKS and WALK TO commands?
  • It's not huge or pressing but this has been bothering me. Nexus has that character panel that displays affs/defs and the outline changes based on gender, but non-binary just defaults to beefy man. Could we either get nb its own illustration or, failing that, allow a choice of which? 
    I'm gone.
  • Make it a Decheeran
  • edited December 2018
    bairloch said:
    Make it a Decheeran

Excuse me. As a nonbinary pansexual  polyamorous atheist Nath'el vegetarian, I find this rude and appalling. I don't suggest you identify as your food.
  • edited December 2018
    Excess resources being processed. At current, for example, 29 raw iriil results in 20 iriil processed. That's 9 raw iriil wasted. Keep the minimum the same or increase them a little but allow for remainders to be processed as well? Assuming each cloud gives 1 resource, we're going to end up with a lot of spots with 1-9 clouds, which is a huge headache to bother with since there's no telling when you'll encounter another cloud of that same resource. (I'm not certain how cloud spawning works but I'm curious to know if leaving a few clouds behind affects spawning of a different cluster of clouds.)

Now that the raw space map has been minimized even further (33 rows, 34 columns), could we please have a method to increase its size? Maybe each rank in captaincy adds a bit more, eventually restoring it to the 57x57 it used to be? Maybe a CONFIG option? Ship sensor strength?