Skip to content

The Ascendancy's Government

I've bugged this, but I'm going to bring it here, because according to Martais and the Angel, the Ascendancy now has guardians. According to the faction commands, they are still at councillors. As we RP out this government and get people into roles, it would be helpful to have the roles better defined so we know our starting point.

So can we get clarification there? 
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Specifically, the past 60 years or so should have been under 5 Guardians, including the Guardian Prime. Which means this new world order is far from perfect, but indeed is different than the previous, Corporate regime. And it seems from faction discussions that needs to be made more clear.

(With of course, plenty of room for dissent and strife still!)
  • Yes. Having a clearer view of what our newcomers would experience would help, as well as recognizing that each faction has its own feel. It's important to embrace themes and work within them rather than trying to make them something they aren't. It would be like going to Ferenginar (Star Trek) and trying to push for demonetization of society. 
  • Eshe said:
    To piggyback on this, will the factions be receiving some guidance to help their newly elected leadership stay on-theme? 
    To llamaback on your piggyback, will there be some sane people running for offices? @Syaja. by any chance? @Jerom? I'm asking, because yesterday I had to turn the FTELL off, not able to stomach the chatter any more :( It sounded like first year political science students discussing minimal wage and voting rights.
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • I can't speak for all, but characters are going to RP as they are, young and new to the world, full if ideals on both sides. Some of those conversations will be important, but it's best to have them In Character. 
  • I'm not sure of the requirement of hours logged to contest, but I know people haven't yet hit that number.
  • Eshe said:
    I can't speak for all, but characters are going to RP as they are, young and new to the world, full if ideals on both sides. Some of those conversations will be important, but it's best to have them In Character. 
    Oh, how I wish it was RP :D But you are right, of course. The community will mature in time.
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • Quean said:
    Oh, how I wish it was RP :D But you are right, of course. The community will mature in time.
    Well, SOME was RP at least! But, good to set the example now and reinforce roleplaying, faction theme, etc, as it develops and people find their rhythm. 
  • Characters will develop over time, people are just throwing their hats in the ring now so that they're known. I'm not so much worried about that. I just don't want one of the greatest bits of lore ever to be ignored because the game mechanics suggest that the revolution didn't do anything, when in fact we know it did.
  • Perhaps that could be one of our first FHELPS then, a tl;dr version to bring people up to speed, and then a link to the full thing. Not everyone wants to sit and read in that volume when there's mechanics to learn and space to explore. 
  • Quean said:
    Eshe said:
    To piggyback on this, will the factions be receiving some guidance to help their newly elected leadership stay on-theme? 
    To llamaback on your piggyback, will there be some sane people running for offices? @Syaja. by any chance? @Jerom? I'm asking, because yesterday I had to turn the FTELL off, not able to stomach the chatter any more :( It sounded like first year political science students discussing minimal wage and voting rights.
    Nope. Not me. My character is barely level 6, barely know his way around on foot or in space, can barely fight to save his life (that's a lot of 'barely' in the same sentence) and until I read this thread I didn't even know the Ascendancy ever had Guardians.

Maybe later in the future, who knows, but right now, not a chance in hell.
  • I find it funny that people play a text based game and then complain about chatter. It more sounds like you don't want people with differing views in your organization and want the Admins to step in and enforce what your view point is. Instead of bugging something that doesn't exist yet maybe you should wait for the Admins to roll out the elections and events that are going to come to set up the tone for the cities like every IRE game before this.
  • We have an election going right no @BadPenguin , for councillor rather than guardian. Hence the reason for this post. 
  • Syaja said:
    We have an election going right no @BadPenguin , for councillor rather than guardian. Hence the reason for th is post. 
    I just logged in and typed elections. There is no election going on just a bunch of people posting on news in anticipation of one.
  • edited December 2018
    -- Celestine election #4 ------------------------------------------------------
    Title: (Hours left to vote: 75)
    Election for Councillor of The Celestine Ascendancy

Description:
    The following individuals believe they can perform the duties
    required of Councillor of The Celestine Ascendancy and have put
    forth their names as possible candidates for the position.

Choices:
    1. Choice One
    2. Choice Two
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Well then the real bug is that not everyone can see it.
  • You may not be able to see if it if you don't have enough hours of play time.
  • I've been playing since launch and that's a stupid restriction to have in a few days old game.
  • Interestingly, the elections are only actually visible if you've racked up enough play time, @BadPenguin. Just like how voting is only possible if you hit that magic number of hours too.
  • And anyone know the play time necessary to vote?
  • I've been playing since launch and that's a stupid restriction to have in a few days old game.
    Not so much, saves the headache of people trying to stack CA with seconds and voting.
  • Sairys said:
    I've been playing since launch and that's a stupid restriction to have in a few days old game.
    Not so much, saves the headache of people trying to stack CA with seconds and voting.
    Neither is acceptable for a game that just opened. You cant have an election 2 days after a game opens and expect it to be fair for the people who are actually going to stay with the game. There should be no elections for a month and it should all be admin ran until a real community is built. Anything else is a chaotic headache waiting to happen.
  • I mean, we need some leadership, yeah. But I do agree with you because it's a mess right now and again, need the guardians, not the councillors. There should probably be NPCs in place until everything is sorted. 

Then again, Song has people challenging for Lord Commander, I think. 
  • Or alternatively the Guardian led government could have fallen. Just some clarification is needed.
  • @Aurelius - got any thoughts here? Since I think that beautiful bit of lore was yours?
  • Sairys said:
    I've been playing since launch and that's a stupid restriction to have in a few days old game.
    Neither is acceptable for a game that just opened. You cant have an election 2 days after a game opens and expect it to be fair for the people who are actually going to stay with the game. There should be no elections for a month and it should all be admin ran until a real community is built. Anything else is a chaotic headache waiting to happen.
    The Song challenge looks to be going for about 5 rl days, it seems likely that active players will be able to get their hours up in that time frame if people already have them at this point. 

Having no elections for a month can work at times, but realistically there's already some frustrations starting to crop up that people in leadership spots would be resolve.
    For example, not being able to create fhelps to share knowledge IC or guards not being up to stop people being annoying. 
  • All allowing elections this early does is encourage migration metagaming to control a faction. 
  • Waiting doesn't prevent that realistically, just means that it'll happen later.

I went through this like a year ago in Lusternia, that was just the new guilds and that wait was intensely frustrating because you realistically couldn't start doing much of anything without the leadership in place.

Similarly, if people are really going to abandon their org if they/their group doesn't get to control it, having that population shift early on is less disruptive than if it happens later.
  • edited December 2018
    Basing votes on played time has proven to be a broken system ripe for abuse in every IRE just like in every IRE the first year is a cluster fuck for politics because everyone tries to flex their epeen and be in charge. People are already in cliques and it's kinda sad.
  • I have a real life so I can’t vote or run. 🤷🏻‍♀️ This is fine by me since it also means that even if I could run, I wouldn’t have the hours IRL to properly commit to such a position and would make a bad/unreliable leader. A leader needs to be active and present to address the needs and concerns of the populace, which at the moment, I’m not.

When my schedule changes further down the line, I might try giving politics a spin. And I hope that when/if I do, it’ll be as a known, well-established character whom people actually want to vote for as opposed to feeling obligated to do so based on limited options and guesswork.

I think that at the moment, a lot of people are clamouring to run for what largely amounts to bragging rights for having gotten first dibs. I’m not worried. Someone always has to be first, and by definition, there can only be one, but the current political climate in CA isn’t going to be the same as what we end up with even one month down the line, let alone two. Everyone’s still getting settled in and figuring out what’s what.

So to those of you disappointed you couldn’t get a foot in the door, my advice: don’t sweat it. There are more important things if you’re looking to play the long game. Stable, effective leadership is a maranthon, not a race.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood