Skip to content

Tutorial Feedback Thus Far

edited December 2018 in The Commsphere
I might add more to this as I play over the weekend/next weeks, but I wanted to start a thread with my general tutorial feedback thus far.  I've played MUDs before, but that was back in 1990s so things have changed.  I'm also now spoiled by MMOs, so some of the things I list might not be technically feasible with clients as they are now.  I'm playing on the Nexus client in Google Chrome, for reference.

1)  Autocomplete doesn't seem to match mobs properly, and/or they are not aliased to shortened references.  For example, I had to type look wreckage, not look wreck.   

2)  The bartender in the cantina can only be greeted / looked at as bartender, not as Bushraki

3)  In the fighting pit, the goredogs cannot be examined by name (look Magnetlook Hookmaw).  I also haven't figured out yet how to examine the 2nd, 3rd, etc. instances of identical mobs in a room (that is, look 2.goredoglook goredog.2look goredog 2, etc. - none work, so I'm not sure what the syntax is).

4) Several commands give you the error message that you "can't do that yet".  It would be useful to have something more specific, such as, "You can't perform this command until you have finished the tutorial."   or  "That command does not exist", or "You must be at least level 5 to <COMMAND>", or something.

5)  After dealing with Elzi, her corpse is present but you cannot loot it, pick it up (and put it in the incinerator later >.>) or anything else.  Clearly she has a blaster and possibly some money on her; you should be able to loot it!

6) Similarly, after dealing with the Loroi slavers/overseer, they do not leave any corpses behind, even though they should.  For the sake of immersion, I would suggest giving an in-game reason why the corpses are not present to be looted (or throwing an error message that "you don't have time to do that now!  You need to escape!", with possible death-punishment if you stick around long enough to get caught anyways).

7) Moving the faction chat and newbie chat channels to the side panel to clear main-screen clutter, breaks dialog.  There are instances where the NPC dialog shows up in the side-menu instead, which in and of itself is not a big deal, but your own response dialog options ALSO appear/disappear there, making it impossible to continue the quest dialog without returning faction/newbie chat to the main dialog window.

8)  Commands to mute channels does not appear to be functioning.

9)  It would be extremely useful to be able to separate individual chat channels (newbie, faction, private, etc.) into separate tabs, or recolor them specifically to be able to tell them apart in the scroll.  This might be a client setting I haven't found / figured out yet.

10)  While there are icy boulders and such around that the descriptions sound like they might be climbable, I was not able to climb them.  It struck me odd to have physical objects present which were not interactable in any way (unless I missed it); if they're just for description/atmosphere, why make them objects instead of just text references in the room description?

11)  Not tested yet, but I'm curious if there is a purely in-character communications channel (i.e. similar to faction or global, but for roleplayers).  If not, can one be created?

Comments

• Here's my own feedback:
    First of all, still broken and very easy to get stuck in. Quitting and reloading sometimes helped, sometimes it didn't. Currently stuck on the space ship you get on after you escape the loroi, with no further prompts appearing.
    The tutorial's form really railroads you into playing a specific kind of character. Being a pacifist or at least someone whose first instinctual reaction isn't "blast 'em, bang bang!" is out right off the bat (doesn't mess with my character ideas, but might with some people), also there's no option to disagree with the idea of betting on dog fights except half hearted protests that "I don't believe in gambling". Apparently gambling is more of a moral problem for our character than animal cruelty.
    I'll give this game a few days to stabilize. Until that time, pass.
  • > It would be extremely useful to be able to separate individual chat channels (newbie, faction, private, etc.) into separate tabs, or recolor them specifically to be able to tell them apart in the scroll.  This might be a client setting I haven't found / figured out yet.

Just right-click on another window and select channel -> <whatever channel> and it'll create a tab for that channel on that window.

If you don't want chat from those channels showing up in the main window, go into settings after that and tick the "Hide all chat messages in the main window if they are shown in another tab" button.
  • Was having some trouble doing this with Scatterhome. Despite selecting it and creating the scatterhome tab, no scatterhome faction chat goes to the tab.
  • edited December 2018
    Honestly this is the worst starting experience of ANY of the IRE Launches and I have been involved in 3 of them. The lack of spawns for basic quests that should take 10 mins, the lack of tutors to learn from or even just simply allowing a tutor to teach multiple people. Its like Starmourn didn't bother at all to listen to the things people didn't like about the  other IRES and did them all again. It shouldn't take 20 min to get started in a game and then you spend 30 min competing 50 other people to finish a simple newbie quest.

I was going to return to IRE muds finally after MKO got shut down...not so much now this is INCREDIBLY disappointing from a game company like IRE.  I was bored after 30 min and felt like I was playing a text version of Mass effect, and not in a good way.

The travel and mapping is also sub par. I shouldn't have to sit and wait 10 seconds every time I want to move from one silly 10 room city. It's just clunky and unfun to navigate.
  • I love it overall and think it's amazing but the one thing I hope changes ASAP is the fact that only one person can learn from a teacher at once. It's incredibly frustrating as is.
    I'm gone.
  • Asteyr says, "The line is Jarrhn. Sinturion, Maalbyst, Renjue, Aeolus, Asteyr, Pumkin, Onreon, Edon, Nirrain, Tasp, Perfect, Naldan, Annaya, Aurora, Althedir, Ascdren, Ziazapojira, Jekkana, Soza, Jako, Kurdock. If you are not on the list, speak up. The rest of us will kill you if you if you attack the master slaver and it is not your turn. Once on the list stay in this room please or risk being removed." 

=) Very nice.
  • The evolution of that list cracks me up, and I love it so much.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • My newbie intro experience was thoroughly ruined by the super noisy faction channel and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off till a lot of stuff scrolled past and I lost the patience to scroll back and read it all again while some slaver was firing lasers at me. Hmph! :angry:
  • Kurdock said:
    Asteyr says, "The line is Jarrhn. Sinturion, Maalbyst, Renjue, Aeolus, Asteyr, Pumkin, Onreon, Edon, Nirrain, Tasp, Perfect, Naldan, Annaya, Aurora, Althedir, Ascdren, Ziazapojira, Jekkana, Soza, Jako, Kurdock. If you are not on the list, speak up. The rest of us will kill you if you if you attack the master slaver and it is not your turn. Once on the list stay in this room please or risk being removed." 

=) Very nice.
    Lovely. This is some Lord of the Flies shit right there.
    BTW 9 hours later, still stuck in the tutorial.