Skip to content

Which Client?

2»

Comments

• Sorry for the double post, but editing takes like a week. I'm really hoping that eventually IRE gets nexus or something similar working on mobile! I'm constantly looking, and I do remember there was something at some point(it didnt work for me) but it got taken down.
    It would definitely make MUDs more accessible and more appealing to the younger generation.
  • edited November 2018
    I wrote my own terminal client thats customized for Achaea. Its not done yet because i'm actually creating it for Starmourn. Once i get access to Starmourn i'm going to refit my client.
    The reason i'm writing my own client is because I want the same feature set at work, at home and on my phone.
    Its even responsive! So resizing the window beyond a certain threshold will swap layouts to comply to the screen size its currently using.
    here is a screenshot: link
    The hype

🍆💦💦💦💦

• Rothare said:
    Sorry for the double post, but editing takes like a week. I'm really hoping that eventually IRE gets nexus or something similar working on mobile! I'm constantly looking, and I do remember there was something at some point(it didnt work for me) but it got taken down.
    It would definitely make MUDs more accessible and more appealing to the younger generation.
    Nexus works on mobile! It's browser based and scales pretty well, though the screen's always too small for me. My 11" Chromebook screen is about as small as I can go. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Mudlet until I D.I.E.
  • @Orion does nexus triggers execute on the server or in the client?
  • edited November 2018
    Alishia said:
    @Orion does nexus triggers execute on the server or in the client?
    On the client.
  • Definitely going to start out with Nexus and once I'm comfortable, try Mudlet. I used Mudlet for Achaea but only with a GUI someone else made. What even is coding? :D 
  • So how do I access the nexus on my mobile?
  • You just go to the website. For example, in Achaea it's https://nexus.achaea.com/
  • Oh, I didnt realize that was considered nexus. Thanks!
  • jari said:
    I wrote my own terminal client thats customized for Achaea. Its not done yet because i'm actually creating it for Starmourn. Once i get access to Starmourn i'm going to refit my client.
    The reason i'm writing my own client is because I want the same feature set at work, at home and on my phone.
    Its even responsive! So resizing the window beyond a certain threshold will swap layouts to comply to the screen size its currently using.
    here is a screenshot: link
    Looks cool man. I briefly considered doing my own thing with python as well, mostly because when I changed jobs about a year ago and had to learn and use python, I found (and still do) myself constantly muddling python and lua. There are enough similarities that if a script won't run it's almost certainly me mixing syntax between the two (do/then in place of : for example).

Also, I could script for gaming under the guise of practicing for work. Maybe? 

But then I didn't; I'd need to learn a lot more about Python that doesn't apply to my job at all. Also, so much work from others has already gone into mudlet, I can't be bothered reinventing the wheel like that. 
  • I'll be using Mudlet mainly because it's more secure. If I were to make settings in Nexus, I imagine they wouldn't be private but stored on their server.
    Mudlet: Ōtsutsuki Interface
    "In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
  • They are stored on their server. The upside of this is I take them with me everywhere I go without having to do anything.
  • Syaja said:
    They are stored on their server. The upside of this is I take them with me everywhere I go without having to do anything.
    I'd rather store mine on a private git repo than a place where admins can get their hands on it. I don't have anything against the admins (they're great!), I'd just like to keep my code private.

If Nexus were an offline client then I would perhaps reconsider.
    Mudlet: Ōtsutsuki Interface
    "In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
  • Mudlet on my desktop, Nexus on my Linux based laptop. 
  • You know mudlet runs on Linux, right?
  • Well I am going to be playing with VipMud or MushClient, and yes @tecton, MushClient, is useable with screen readers, with a  few plugins, now  I am not sure on the status of mudlet and screen reader support though when I tryed to play with it a long time it wouldn't read  a thing at all with my two screen readers I used I will have to check on the status on that if anyone knows  any new status on that would be good. Also I love VipMud because in  its options, you can strip ascii art from the output window, by line, or by character for thoughs who don't know VipMud has two windows, a input and a output window, makes it easy to copy and paist stuff in for quick entering of stuff like names and such saves alot of typeing.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
  • I love Mudlet so very much. I wanted to play this on my new pixelbook but tintin++ is going to take me some time to learn to write scripts. I'll probably use my regular laptop and Mudlet until I can get it all squared away.
  • I love Mudlet so very much. I wanted to play this on my new pixelbook but tintin++ is going to take me some time to learn to write scripts. I'll probably use my regular laptop and Mudlet until I can get it all squared away.
    Just use Nexus!
  • Syaja said:
    I love Mudlet so very much. I wanted to play this on my new pixelbook but tintin++ is going to take me some time to learn to write scripts. I'll probably use my regular laptop and Mudlet until I can get it all squared away.
    Just use Nexus!
    We were just talking about that in the discord. I think I am going to give it a try. I will need to try and learn more javascript but I don't think it's that much different than Python, which is what I typically code in for work and other things.
  • Probably Mushclient but I may start off with nexus until I get a feel for things before customizing that much.
  • Having discovered that javascript can do things natively that I would need to build by hand in Lua, Nexus Master Race.
  • I just want to point out for those that are using a Pixelbook (or anything with a new enough Chrome OS) it -is- possible to install mudlet. You will need to turn on the Linux Beta in your settings. There is a link on the mudlet page. I was running it yesterday and it worked pretty well from what I can see, even if it is Beta.

That being said, I am switching my vote to Nexus. Gonna give this javascript thing a test run.
  • Mudlet. The one and only.