Skip to content

Retirement and Starmourn

I'm really struggling to understand the retirement system and how it can benefit my future Starmourn character.

I have a character in Achaea; and I've been grinding levels and learning about IR's MUD systems - but I don't seem to be accumulating any credits to put towards retirement (according to "RETIRE VALUE"). It's my understanding that I can also purchase credits from other players with in-game money; but does this count towards the character's credit worth? Is it only unbound credits that count towards RETIRE VALUE? I currently need 991 more credits before I can retire. I'm also level 24 at this time.

I'm trying to simplify the whole process into a "Do X, receive Y" type plan. Should I be focusing on accumulating gold to simply buy credits from players for retirement? Grinding levels? Am I in the wrong game for my intent? What's the best use of my time to be of benefit to my future Starmourn character?

TLDR: What's the easiest and fastest way that I can accumulate credits (in any of the current IR games), so that I can retire the character and transfer the credits to my future Starmourn character? (Not including buying with real money)

Comments

• edited August 2018
    To be honest, if you've not spent money on the character chances are you will not be able to retire them. You need at least 1000 credits worth of value. Retirement is essentially for people who have dropped a decent amount of money on a character so as to preserve *some* of that value when you decide you're done with said character and want to do something new. 

Edited to add: That's not to say you can't earn 1k credits IC in any of the games. Just it may not be worth the blood/sweat/tears it'll take just to have those credits available for Starmourn. 

Edited again: There might be opportunities with the 21st(!!) birthday coming up to get some credits. I don't know if leveling credits count or if they're considered promotional. You'd need @Aurelius or @Tecton for that. Personally, I'd conserve the effort and strive to earn them in Starmourn and just play Achaea for the fun you can have there. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Syaja said:
    To be honest, if you've not spent money on the character chances are you will not be able to retire them. You need at least 1000 credits worth of value. Retirement is essentially for people who have dropped a decent amount of money on a character so as to preserve *some* of that value when you decide you're done with said character and want to do something new. 

Edited to add: That's not to say you can't earn 1k credits IC in any of the games. Just it may not be worth the blood/sweat/tears it'll take just to have those credits available for Starmourn. 

Edited again: There might be opportunities with the 21st(!!) birthday coming up to get some credits. I don't know if leveling credits count or if they're considered promotional. You'd need @Aurelius or @Tecton for that. Personally, I'd conserve the effort and strive to earn them in Starmourn and just play Achaea for the fun you can have there. 
    This is what I am doing -- playing Achaea to learn how IRE games are built, learn some basic scripting, reactions, and triggers in Nexus client, and think about how they design systems (i.e., mining) as I imagine they will reuse as much code and syntax as is feasible. I'm almost level 80 in Achaea now and I'm still at about 991 more credits before there is any retirement value.  The leveling credits and no-brainer packages do not apply any bonuses. It really just seems to be the credits I buy from House and City sales that help.
  • edited August 2018
    This is what I am doing -- playing Achaea to learn how IRE games are built, learn some basic scripting, reactions, and triggers in Nexus client, and think about how they design systems (i.e., mining) as I imagine they will reuse as much code and syntax as is feasible. I'm almost level 80 in Achaea now and I'm still at about 991 more credits before there is any retirement value.  The leveling credits and no-brainer packages do not apply any bonuses. It really just seems to be the credits I buy from House and City sales that help.
    And those house and city credits were spawned from credits bought by players, so that makes sense. 

I don't know how much they're reusing since they've learned a TON since Achaea started, but the general basis is good to learn and Nexus will be the same. I should probably play with Nexus a bit myself since it's been a while since I used it for anything.
  • edited September 2018
    They’ve said that they’re starting from scratch. While I’m sure they’re not reinventing the wheel, I doubt there’ll be a ton of exactly the same coding, except at its most basic levels. Tecton did write somewhere else that they’ve tried to retain some of the syntactical commands to provide some familiarity.

As far as retirement credits go, it’s mainly for people who have spent real money (ie, not in-game currencies) on a certain character and want to retain some value of that but don’t want to play that character anymore (as @Syaja already explained above). It’s not really intended as a way to build up credits for another game.

Sometimes promotions (like city sales) will get you some credits you can use in retiring a character but generally if you didn’t spend real money on a character, you won’t get anything from retiring that character. And if you do spend real money, you’ll only get back a portion of it anyway. Personally I would not go to any great lengths to try to work up enough just for retirement into Starmourn. At best, it’ll take a long time, and you’ll lose a large chuck of it anyway. Better to simply put your money and/or time into SM when it opens.

If you’re enjoying your time in Achaea and want to spend money on a character, I say go for it. I just wouldn’t advise it if your primary goal is using retirement in Starmourn.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Especially considering that you might not actually like Starmourn -- you won't be able to utilize retirement credits for several months after opening, so you might regret it if you find you just don't click with the game the way that you think you will.
  • Personally I hate the fact that retirement will be an option.  Heres what I mean:

I could do everything, grind and never stop and be a top player for example, but then

BOOM

Retirement options start and all the hard work amounts to what? Being left behind by people who played a different game than this.

And to those who don't personally care or like being over optimistic, please dont try to romanticize the feature for me and say stuff like "but the game is in how you build your character, not about who's stronger" or "you wont even notice the difference".

I understand the concept and why it really is awesome for veteran players, but in the end it just creates an unfair playing field for people who haven't experienced previous MUDs or remember their login info, and there is no way I'm the only one who thinks this way.

And I'm not even talking as if I think it will make people OP strong or anything. I'm meaning that the stuff they get, the bonuses they obtain is not possible for other people to obtain in the same way.
    Sure, people can pay money and get the same amount of stuff, but that's still not the same as merely getting bonuses for thoroughly enjoying and investing in a completely separate game. That's like saying "preorder our game and you'll get all this stuff that will never be available again unless you heavily  invest into another one of our now outdated games." It just doesnt feel right.

TL;DR 
    In the end, I think the concept is neat, however it creates an unfair opportunity for people who have chosen to invest in a completely separate title.

So anyways, thanks for reading, and that's my opinion.
  • I'm curious, and not looking to argue. Just making that clear because sometimes text is complicated and intentions get muddled. 

But can you explain exactly how you see this affecting you? 
  • I'm wondering how you define "left behind".
  • Hard to believe you're not trying, considering the answer to your question is the entire post. But try reading the TL;DR bud, it stands for too long, didn't read. It's at the bottom of the post.
  • No, I definitely read through it and didn't feel like the question was answered, but it's fine if you don't feel like elaborating further. 

You explained why you feel it is an unfair system and you explained why you don't like it. I didn't get much of an idea of what exactly it is, in game, that you will feel affects you directly.

Is it that people will quickly get artifacts it took you a long time to grind for? Is it that they will bash faster than you with less of a time investment? Is it that they will beat you at PvP? That's what I wanted to know. Or is it their mere existence that is irritating? 

I asked because knowing what part bothers you specifically makes it easier to try to work through or even propose a solution.

For context, in the past I have stopped playing certain IRE games altogether because I felt like there was a very uneven playing field and I was not catching up faster than they were pulling further ahead (strictly PvP wise). I wanted to know if that was your issue with this system or if it was something else, hence the disclaimer and prodding for further elaboration.
  • edited December 2018
    As someone who can't afford to drop X amount of $ on credits... I have retirement credits just sitting there in the catacomb's of IRE data from when they closed down MKO. Yes, I know I could use these on another game from IRE, but at the same time once I do use them I probably wont have retirement credits again so I tend to hoard them.  The waiting period from launch is 3 real life months, long enough to decide if I want to use them in Starmourn, in that time I'll be grinding and working hard right beside you to build up my character. I will not be waiting for those credits to enjoy the game, they will be a nice perk later on down the road for my well established character. 
  • Squeakums I guess it's my naturally competitive nature, and although I hate the idea of it in the end I do understand why it's there from a business and player loyalty aspect. It's just how I personally feel and dont necessarily believe it shouldn't be there. As a non-veteran however I wish it wasnt. Hope that helps
  • If I recall, you can't take your retirement credits into Starmourn until 3 months after release.
  • I feel like all of this is overlooking all the many people who will be buying credits. They'll buy them right away, have tri-trans skills + as soon as they functionally can(lvl 20, 40. etc). Your character is/should be more than your skills/level. Or you're just not gonna have much fun. 
  • Errant said:
    I feel like all of this is overlooking all the many people who will be buying credits. They'll buy them right away, have tri-trans skills + as soon as they functionally can(lvl 20, 40. etc). Your character is/should be more than your skills/level. Or you're just not gonna have much fun. 
    This ^

Realistically, I'd probably be dropping money on the game immediately. If we've got them, I'd likely be grabbing the lesson packs and the credit pack within the first week or two. Probably also some unbound credits too so I can sell them on the market for some marks.

It's probably when I'm done learning that I'd be starting to go out and it's likely that my bashing potential would be greater than those who didn't drop money on these packs. (I'd probably spend levelling lessons and credits on general skills and the like)

And that's just with the cheapest options, not the more expensive ones that others would be able to invest in.
  • @Rothare the closest you'll get to even is if they reset the game after open beta.
  • edited December 2018
    Alishia said:
    @Rothare the closest you'll get to even is if they reset the game after open beta.
    They are resetting after the beta, and crediting everyone with a hundred credits... if I remember right.

Edit: Did not remember right. 
  • Alishia said:
    @Rothare the closest you'll get to even is if they reset the game after open beta.
    The game definitely won't be reset after open beta.
  • Aurelius said:
    Alishia said:
    The game definitely won't be reset after open beta.
    What's the stance behind that (other than it has been that way before). Why introduce an unnecessary imbalance out the gate that does not seem to add much?
  • I believe because open beta is like a soft open to the game?
  • MKO stayed in open beta throughout its entire run, right up until it was cancelled 7 years later.

I sincerely hope this won't be the case with Starmourn, but I wouldn't count on open beta being as short term as the closed beta period.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Yeah... I can't see Tecton letting that happen. lol. Not in his nature.
  • As Syaja said, open beta is just a way for them to say 'Hey, you can play the game now but you can't be upset that there are still bugs or an incomplete feature set.'

The dev team seems very organised and disciplined so I'm sure open beta won't drag on. The point of closed beta is so that by open beta the game is playable enough that we can all begin our stories without it all being reset later.

In other words, there is no imbalance out of the gate (unlike if there was no reset at the end of closed beta).
  • There may be a slight imbalance as the closed beta players have been promised 100 credits for testing.
    https://www.starmourn.com/2018/10/17/beta-time/

• tbh, 100 credits isn't all that much. If you grab the elite sub (if it's available at launch) you'll get that plus a bunch of extra stuff for 24.99 usd.
  • It will only give them a head start on people who otherwise would not be buying credits or not buying large quantities of credits right away. So ultimately it will only affect a small amount of people.
  • I did say "slight"...
  • bairloch said:
    There may be a slight imbalance as the closed beta players have been promised 100 credits for testing.
    https://www.starmourn.com/2018/10/17/beta-time/

Those imbalances don't matter much as anyone can get credits.

Other imbalances which have historically happened in IRE games out of the gate are the closed beta testers can snap up or corner resources, honours, quests, and positions in game (staff favortism). These things have on occasion been far greater imbalances then credits.

This is why it appears to me that having some sort of open beta to even the field and then a full reset would be the fairest approach.