Skip to content

Sneak Preview: Quests!

This is an example of a very simple quest that can be obtained in one of our high level hunting areas on the planet Usum Usutti. You'll have a chance to see this place at a low level, since there is an adjacent area for level 1-15 bashing, but you will not be able to pick up this particular quest until at least level 65.

Note that the reward listed in the quest is not what I actually received - quests that haven't been done in a while actually give out a greater reward! So it will be worthwhile to explore and find lots of quests to do.

>>> look
A small souvenir shop. 
Tanned hides and stuffed trophy heads adorn the walls of this crowded shop, where displays of jewelry, clothing, trinkets, and other souvenirs greet visitors. At one end stands a long formglass counter, where the more expensive items are kept securely out of the way but still visible for customers. 
A merchant stands here with a welcoming smile.
A massive syncrete post looms here. A straight-backed and uncomfortable looking chair stands here. A short cabinet stands here, formed of metal and plastic.
Merchant facilities indicate there are WARES for sale here.
[n] -> Usum Usutti Main Lodge

>>> greet ayit
You acknowledge Ayit Zahair in greeting.
Ayit Zahair says, "Ahh, great hunter. Are you heading out into the reserve? If you come across a tooth or claw in good condition, I will gladly pay for it."
[1.] Okay, I would be happy to bring you back any suitable items.
[2.] I don't think so. I'm far too rich to bother with a job like that.

>>> 1
Ayit Zahair says, "Wonderful. Good hunting."
Tiny Trophies has been added to your quest log! Type QUEST 16 for more information.
You have a new objective in the "Tiny Trophies" quest: Hunt the wild game in Usum Usutti until you find a trophy-quality tooth or claw.

>>> quest 16
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tiny Trophies
Description: While hunting game in Usum Usutti, keep an eye out for large teeth or claws. The merchant in the souvenir shop will reward you for bringing them to her.
Giver: Ayit Zahair
-- Objectives -----------------------------------------------------------------
  1.)  Hunt the wild game in Usum Usutti until you find a trophy-quality tooth or claw.
-- Rewards --------------------------------------------------------------------
  - 700 Covenant marks
  - 2000 xp

>>> quests
-------------------------------< Active Quests >-------------------------------
#     Name                                       Giver                         
119   Rout the Poachers                          Dezha Dinadi
16    Tiny Trophies                              Ayit Zahair
108   Little Shop of Wonders                     Prysis Riyore
88    New Life                                   Healer Ruto Kache
139   A Clandestine Task                         Lt. Andeika Grotzi

[walking around a bunch]

>>> look
Under the eaves of a dense jungle. 
Fresh and invigorating, the green fringes of a sprawling jungle are lush and enticing to many varieties of wildlife. Immense trees, solemn and ancient, tower overhead, but an equal number lie upon the jungle floor, broken and decaying. Their absence in the canopy allows light to penetrate far below, and the vegetation at ground level thrives wildly. Deeper into the jungle, the vegetation tangles and locks together, making further passage completely impenetrable. 
An immense reptilian predator crashes through the jungle. An immense reptilian predator crashes through the jungle.
Bracken and brush have grown up over a large piece of machinery here. A snarled hillock of knotted grass forms a small hump on the ground. A broken comm box has been unearthed, wet dirt clinging to it.
[n] -> Under the eaves of a dense jungle
[e] -> Under the eaves of a dense jungle
[se] -> Under the eaves of a dense jungle

>>> p predator
-- an immense reptilian predator  (#9737) -------------------------------------
Race:             Animal                                Gender: Male
Affiliation:      Unknown                               Status: Healthy

Description:      Looking vaguely saurian, this building-sized predator is painted in the hues of the jungle it lives in. Glossy green body with darker green stripes, it stands tall and proud upon two immense and muscular back legs. Its front arms are rather small and stubby, but this is made up for by the fact that the creature's head is a monstrous anvil-shaped wedge, with four beady eyes and an immense mouth filled with a triple row of teeth. Its tail is likewise deadly, a swinging beam tipped with spikes.
Strength:          You estimate that he is about as strong as you.

[killing this guy]

With a rumbling roar, an immense reptilian predator picks you up in his massive toothy jaws and shakes you vigorously from side to side.

>>> crackshot predator
A Pryfix TRT piece kicks in your grip and an explosive noise cracks the air as you fire a shot at an immense reptilian predator.
The exhilharation of victory rushes over you, suffusing your limbs with energy.
You have slain an immense reptilian predator.
You spot a tooth in particularly good shape and cleanly break it off.
You have a new objective in the "Tiny Trophies" quest: Return to the souvenir shop with what you have collected.
You salvage 2 detached eyes and a bony skull from the lifeless remains.

>>> quest 16
Tiny Trophies
Description: While hunting game in Usum Usutti, keep an eye out for large teeth or claws. The merchant in the souvenir shop will reward you for bringing them to her.
Giver: Ayit Zahair
-- Objectives -----------------------------------------------------------------
1.) Hunt the wild game in Usum Usutti until you find a trophy-quality tooth or claw.
2.) Return to the souvenir shop with what you have collected.
-- Rewards --------------------------------------------------------------------
- 700 Covenant marks
- 2000 xp

[walking back to the shop]

>>> greet ayit
Ayit Zahair says, "Did you find something for me, great hunter? Hand it to me and I will take a look."

>>> inv
You are wielding in your hands:
a Pryfix TRT piece in your right.

You have:
a tall glass filled with lapteth beer, a plain mug filled with choco-flavored syn-kaf, a large tooth, 2 detached eyes, and a bony skull.

You are wearing:
a compact jetpack, a sturdy messenger bag, a sleek polyleather jumpsuit, rugged tactical boots, and a pair of knuckledusters.
Total items: 12 / Covenant Marks: 9001

>>> give tooth to ayit
You give a large tooth to Ayit Zahair.
Ayit Zahair squints at a large tooth with an appraising eye before nodding.
Ayit Zahair says, "Precisely the kind of thing I am looking for. It will make a handsome trinket. Many, many thanks to you."
You have completed "Tiny Trophies".
[Marks]: Your mark balance has been adjusted by 1050.
You receive 1050 Covenant marks and 3000 xp as reward.

>>> greet ayit
Ayit Zahair says, "Welcome to my humble shop, great hunter."

Comments

• This is awesome <3

• edited November 2018
    Sorry, but what is the point showcasing a boring kill quest which is like millions we've already seen in any MUD? If Starmourn has only those, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Also I hope planets in Starmourn arent copypastes of generic fantasy zones of same biome type. I want to see worlds being alien and unique in more than one way, constantly reminding us that it is sci-fi game and not another IRE fantasy world.
  • edited November 2018
    Was that, by any chance, a vurbok?
  • Malash said:
    Was that, by any chance, a vurbok?
    Mayyyyyybeeee.....
  • Oh yeah daddy
  • Oryx said:

You salvage 2 detached eyes and a bony skull from the lifeless remains.

This line interests me a lot. It seems that we don't have lug around corpses. I can't wait to see what we'll be able to do with salvaged organic parts.

• mindw0rk said:
    Sorry, but what is the point showcasing a boring kill quest which is like millions we've already seen in any MUD? If Starmourn has only those, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Also I hope planets in Starmourn arent copypastes of generic fantasy zones of same biome type. I want to see worlds being alien and unique in more than one way, constantly reminding us that it is sci-fi game and not another IRE fantasy world.
    Why be negative when you could just be silent?

@Oryx: Do we have quest logs and an ability to track which quests we've completed in which zones etc.? We had this in MKO and I liked it a lot.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Pollivar said:
    Why be silent when you can give valuable negative feedback, like 'If starmourn's only boring GET TEN BEAR ASSES quests I'll be hugely disappointed.'
    Probably because it might be useful to remember this game just went into closed beta. It might also be useful to remember that more and better quests will come down the road, y'know... when the game runs properly all the time. 
  • Oryx said:

You have a new objective in the "Tiny Trophies" quest: Return to the souvenir shop with what you have collected.

I like this. I know I can lose track of what I'm trying to accomplish after hours of grinding. This will help.
  • Very much appreciative of the example provided, it's refreshing to see the system streamlined as it is. Echoing the others, it also makes a great deal of sense to use a more simple example in order to more easily display how the quest system works, particularly for those of us who aren't well versed in how these things work. That, and showing off a more complicated or intriguing quest would be something of a spoiler, in my opinion.
  • edited November 2018
    Kestrel said:
    Pollivar said:
    Why be silent when you can give valuable negative feedback, like 'If starmourn's only boring GET TEN BEAR ASSES quests I'll be hugely disappointed.'
    There's a way to phrase valuable negative feedback. 'Sorry, but what is the point showcasing a boring kill quest which is like millions we've already seen in any MUD?' in response to a sneak preview thread isn't it. It is also a good idea not to jump to conclusions on the entire sum of what the game has to offer — an unreleased game we know next to nothing about just yet — based on a sneak preview on a thread where literally the first sentence was: 'This is an example of a very simple quest that can be obtained in one of our high level hunting areas'. I'm guessing a more complex one wasn't offered because A ) spoilers and B ) it would make the post at least five times as long. The aim was to show us how the quest system works; the very simple example offered accomplished that.
    I saw headline in this topic that says "Sneak preview: Quests!". Since great memorable quests is what I enjoy in games, and hoping Starmourn will offer indepth missions that are at least on par with Lusternia or better, I eagerly click on topic. And all I see is "go kill x rats" type with "Go kill and loot it. Yo, thanks, here is money" depth of conversation. So yeah, I dont know why give example of this since we saw it already a million times. Would be nice to see examples of good stuff.

Tbh even for a simple kill quest they could at least try to make it more interesting. Like providing a choice at some point, bringing a twist or some backstory about creature to be killed. I dont know why MUD creators drag this "go kill it and thats it" quest formula that was maybe relevant 30 years ago into modern MUD. I understant that those copypasted quests take 5 mins to make and throw in, but Id rather see 5 really interesting ones than 1000 quests like this.
  • It's just a demo of how quests work specifically in Starmourn, not a showcase for how great the major quests will be. It's specifically because we are so familiar with this basic formula that it makes a good example.
  • edited November 2018
    They straight up say "example of a very simple quest". They are telling you "this is as basic as it gets". And that took pages of scrolling to show all of it in a forum post. I think you're posting from the heart much more than from the head on this one.
  • I love simple quests. I love: do this, find this, get money. Because I like money. There's a time and place for us lazy bastards to have our day. I've no doubt there's far more complex quests for less lazy people to do too as every IRE game has them.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Oryx said:-- an immense reptilian predator  (#9737) -------------------------------------
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but I think "Race" would be better as "Species" and "Animal" would be better as "Unknown" (or what you'd like to call it). The reason being is that "animal" is not a race OR a species. If you were to change these two things then not only would it be more accurate it would also just read better. Thematically, I also feel it makes more sense to have more precision for identification in a futuristic world where it should exist.
  • Aspie said:
    Oryx said:-- an immense reptilian predator  (#9737) -------------------------------------
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but I think "Race" would be better as "Species" and "Animal" would be better as "Unknown" (or what you'd like to call it). The reason being is that "animal" is not a race OR a species. If you were to change these two things then not only would it be more accurate it would also just read better. Thematically, I also feel it makes more sense to have more precision for identification in a futuristic world where it should exist.
    I would prefer Species as well. And maybe humanoid/non-humanoid could be some of the options. You may not know the race, but that's something you should be able to tell.
  • edited November 2018
    Aspie said:
    Oryx said:-- an immense reptilian predator  (#9737) -------------------------------------
    This is a sci-fi game and I’m a fucking nerd but I feel like you could get really technical with it and go Domain>Kingdom>Phylum>Order>Genus>Family>Species and that would be really cool. As a general rule, the more technical you can get in science fiction the better, whereas the opposite is true for fantasy.

Failing that we could just go for species name and classify all playable races as part of a humanoid genus, so they’d be called something like H. sapiens, H. jin, H. shen, etc. At least in the human language; I assume Jin would prefer a term like J. sapiens, and refer to humans as J. hominus.

— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Hmmm.... not sure if Decheerans would be H.
    :)
  • I identify as an animal, and so do they! Are you QUESTIONING their RACE bruh? So unacceptable!
  • As an only-IRE mudder, the interesting part about the preview isn't the quest (which is boring, but not the point of the preview), but the quest system itself. Confirmation that there is actually a quest log, for example. And varying rewards discouraging learning repeatable quests and looping them.

@Oryx
    The diminishing returns on quests completed more often, is that calculated per quest or per player? i.e. if I complete the quest and get 3000xp, and then another player completes it soon after, do they get a lesser reward or does it only apply if I repeat it soon after?

• It's per-quest, so if you complete it and get bonus xp/marks, and I come and complete it 10 minutes later, I'll just get the normal rewards.
  • I believe this may have already been addressed, but will there be a TASK system as well? Something like Achaea that walks you through major mechanics?
    ~ The Turtle Hermit way is to work hard and grow in strength every day. ~
  • I believe this may have already been addressed, but will there be a TASK system as well? Something like Achaea that walks you through major mechanics?
    Something similar, yes.
  • edited December 2018
    bairloch said:
    Hmmm.... not sure if Decheerans would be H.
    :)
    Anthropos hominus
    Anthropos nympha
    Anthropos sylva
    Anthropos minima
    Anthropos mortucultu
    Anthropos manuspes
    Anthropos scarabaeus
    Anthropos rapere*
    Anthropos tyrannos
    Anthropos gigantopithecus
    Anthropos sphinx

*TIL: 'Raptors', AKA birds of prey, get their name from the Latin word rapere, which is also the root of the word rape. I thought it was funny and highly appropriate as a designation for Starmourn's rapey raptor people.

YW Starmourn you may use my ideas free of charge.

Could also swap Anthropos for Sapiens but I've always thought calling us wee lil' humans sapient was a bit daft considering we aren't even the smartest or most successful species of humans to have ever lived, let alone special snowflakes of the animal world.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• If you're going for sci-fi realism, you need to recognise that alien species wouldn't share similar cell structures. No DNA, possibly not even any carbon. If animalia is just a kingdom that is a sub-group of a domain that is in turn a subgroup of 'life', then when we discover aliens, 'life' will need to become 'earth life', and any other planets will get their own hierarchy.

Naming moving multicelled organisms by a vernacular 'animal' is probably the better way to describe something that looks like it could fit into the animalia kingdom, yet in fact has nothing in common, or in fact no part in Earth-based taxonomic rank.