Beta Contest Commentary

<moved out of contest thread by request>

Comments

• Quean said:
    Malash said:
    Nilo said:
    I'm torn!
    Be a BEAST. Do the tearing instead.
    Don't listen to this hiccup of evolution! What could be better than feeling the heartbeat of the very stars as a Fury?!
    Let me and my plasmacaster help with that.
  • Malash said:
    Quean said:
    Malash said:
    Nilo said:
    I'm torn!
    Be a BEAST. Do the tearing instead.
    Don't listen to this hiccup of evolution! What could be better than feeling the heartbeat of the very stars as a Fury?!
    Let me and my plasmacaster help with that.
    Don't be ridiculous. Control all life through your Nanoseer nanites.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Gotta say, I'm with @Qitorien now. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Elink88 said:
    I'd like to be a Nusriza B.E.A.S.T. Maybe other BEAST pilots don't have to periodically sweep feathers out of their mechs but I see it as a ritual, not a chore.
    I'm hoping the suits are self-cleaning. Otherwise, there's gonna be an awful lot of ripe individuals running around....
  • Kestrel said:
    Pshk ...

As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Kestrel said:
    Khargal said:
    lmao

My father, IRL, is an engineer. Allow me to confirm with perfect accuracy that the words 'Trust me, I'm an engineer' constitute the most ominous predictor of an imminent catastrophe.
    I used to work in the Engineering campus of a university, and I will absolutely second this.

I fully expect those of the Engineer class to provide us with the most epic of disasters. If nothing else, it'll make great story/rp
  • Human Scoundrel seems like the absolute underdog in Starmourn. 

I may have to change my answer. I so wanted to play a space gerbil, but playing the guy that barely knows what he's doing and relies on luck constantly sounds super fun. 
  • Was there a huge boost to advertising or something? I'm on the forums a few times a day and normally beta contest thread has 2-5 new comments. Today was 58 new since I last logged in.
    I'm gone.
  • They sent out the Starmourn newsletter last night.
  • Forgot about that. By the time it showed up in my inbox I was fairly drunk trying to get rid of back pain.
    I'm gone.
  • There's a lot of entries that aren't actual entries though. 
  • Oh, thought everything irrelevant had been purged or shifted here.
    I'm gone.
  • People aren’t always using the format of race and class and just posting let me in. Others have double posted. I don’t know how close they’re watching that lol
  • Well, today's the day. Fingers crossed! :anguished:

Since there's been no word of it, I wonder if the contest officially closes at 23:59:59 GMT.
  • Well, today's the day. Fingers crossed! :anguished:

Since there's been no word of it, I wonder if the contest officially closes at 23:59:59 GMT.
    Yeah, I'll close the thread at EOD GMT.
  • Related question: will the closed beta have an NDA?
  • As a pipefitter, I can also assure everyone that Engineers are more adept at fucking up than the greenest of apprentices.

With that said, pew pew.
  • Redbeard said:
    As a pipefitter, I can also assure everyone that Engineers are more adept at fucking up than the greenest of apprentices.

With that said, pew pew.
    As an engineer who designs hydraulic systems, I can say that I resemble that remark! 
  • Borran said:
    Human Scoundrel seems like the absolute underdog in Starmourn.

I'm rather surprised by this. Then again, why play a boring Human when you already play one IRL?
  • edited November 2018
    I only skimmed the contest thread, but it looked to me like Human and Jin were the two most popular species choices by a long shot.

Meanwhile, here I am wishing some of the more unusual NPC species were playable. I suppose I'll have to "settle" for one of Nuzrisa, Ry'nari, or W'hoorn, if "settle" is the right word for three different kinds of awesome. :pleased:
  • Meanwhile, here I am wishing some of the more unusual NPC species were playable. I suppose I'll have to "settle" for one of Nuzrisa, Ry'nari, or W'hoorn, if "settle" is the right word for three different kinds of awesome. :pleased:
    You might get lucky and they may release more of the races later down the road as they get better fleshed out and have player stats attached to them. I certainly hope so.
  • Related question: will the closed beta have an NDA?
    Yes, that's why we require 18+
  • edited November 2018
    I only skimmed the contest thread, but it looked to me like Human and Jin were the two most popular species choices by a long shot.

Meanwhile, here I am wishing some of the more unusual NPC species were playable. I suppose I'll have to "settle" for one of Nuzrisa, Ry'nari, or W'hoorn, if "settle" is the right word for three different kinds of awesome. :pleased:
    Humans are always popular in any MMO, it's the law. I fully suspect Jin and W'hoorn to be very popular as well, followed by Ry'nari and maybe Shen and Nusriza. As the least popular race I fully expect the Krona, probably followed by Amaians and Nath-El.
    Basically, a race's popularity depends on three factors: pretty (which usually but not always means human-like), cool/badass, and easy to RP. Jin and W'hoorn are all three so they will be popular. Krona (edited, wrong race name) are none, so they will be a very niche race with few players.

ADDENDUM: The above applies only if there are no significant mechanical differences between races. If there are, you can expect the top meta race to always be the most popular, even if lore-wise its members are deformed and half-rotten crawling potatoes.
  • Tecton said:
    It may be a bit late to ask now but when will the notifications on if you got in or not be going out?
  • Dushka said:
    Tecton said:
    It may be a bit late to ask now but when will the notifications on if you got in or not be going out?
    They haven't announced a specific timeframe, though Tecton made it clear that he would take a few days to go through replies to the thread before sending emails out.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • edited November 2018
    Cubey said:
    Humans are always popular in any MMO, it's the law.
    I don't think that was ever in question!  Rather, I was a bit confused by the "humans-as-underdog" sentiment expressed in the quote I was responding to.  If anything, it looks to me like humans in Starmourn are in a bit of a Mass Effect-like situation, with an inordinate amount of influence for a species that only debuted on the galactic stage relatively recently.

As an aside: If Starmourn were more "hard sci-fi" than "adventurous space opera", I'd probably be worried about the genetic health of a species whose founding population has been stated to be 375.  Instead, I just expect to hear a passing comment in some Scatterhome dive about how vigorously humans are fighting that whole "endangered species" label. :wink:

--- Skip this paragraph if you're not interested in an Internet stranger's unsolicited opinion

I won't speak to popularity any more than that, since it doesn't really interest me.  What does interest me is that just about every playable species is essentially humanoid (bipedal, head, two arms, two legs, and the occasional tail) whereas nonplayable species have body plans that include centauroid, serpentine, two non-bipedal insectoids, cnidarian, molluscoid, and whatever these are, plus all the others that didn't stand out in my mind strongly enough to remember their names and wiki pages.  I realize that it has more to do with general trends in sci-fi than Starmourn itself, per se, but I feel like a MUD is exactly the kind of place where they should be playable.  You don't have to worry about animations, skeleton rigging, low poly count, or bad texturing dragging the gameplay down — they leap off the proverbial page pretty well on their own, I think.

Cubey said:
    ADDENDUM: The above applies only if there are no significant mechanical differences between races.
    Most (all?) of IRE's MUDs have decoupled races from stats and retained only a small handful of minor mechanical benefits for racial flavor, though I suppose that's no indication of whether that will happen here as well, what with everything Starmourn is trying to do differently.

• I won't speak to popularity any more than that, since it doesn't really interest me.  What does interest me is that just about every playable species is essentially humanoid (bipedal, head, two arms, two legs, and the occasional tail) whereas nonplayable species have body plans that include centauroid, serpentine, two non-bipedal insectoids, cnidarian, molluscoid, and whatever these are, plus all the others that didn't stand out in my mind strongly enough to remember their names and wiki pages.  I realize that it has more to do with general trends in sci-fi than Starmourn itself, per se, but I feel like a MUD is exactly the kind of place where they should be playable.  You don't have to worry about animations, skeleton rigging, low poly count, or bad texturing dragging the gameplay down — they leap off the proverbial page pretty well on their own, I think.

Cubey said:
    ADDENDUM: The above applies only if there are no significant mechanical differences between races.
    Most (all?) of IRE's MUDs have decoupled races from stats and retained only a small handful of minor mechanical benefits for racial flavor, though I suppose that's no indication of whether that will happen here as well, what with everything Starmourn is trying to do differently.
    It's a matter of combat and ease of balancing that between races that keeps races humanoid. They don't want to have to code in targeting the eighth right leg or something. 

Aurelius said:
    Tasan said:

it wouldn't surprise me if we're all bipedal and "humanoid" for the sake of calculating limbs and what not. 
    Limbs, wielding of weapons, etc etc.