Skip to content

What will be your first major activity?

edited August 2018 in The Commsphere
I asked this in the Discord server (Come talk with us here!) and we had some fun response and discussion, so I decided to ask here as well.

What is the first major area of the game you want to explore after all the dust settles, you've completed the newbie intro, and you start to get your bearings when it opens? Are you anxious to sink your kithblade into another player's character? Will you be the first to explore all known regions of the sector? Will you have the first shop on the block or invest your time in being an early adopter of crafting creations? Will you start your career as a feared factory mogul? Will you go hunting the monsters across the vast reaches of space? 

The forums are very limiting. I had about 23 choices, but it only allows for 10 total. Starmourn is just too awesome and with too much content and things to do. :sunglasses:

Add in comments to specify, discuss, or explain your choice.
As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
Jin
VOTE FOR STARMOURN
Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
GrootToday at 2:16 PM
  if there's no kittens in space
  I'm going on a rampage
TectonToday at 2:17 PM
  They're called w'hoorn, Groot
  sets out a saucer of milk

Comments

• I can't wait to get into the crafting side of things, and my aim is to open a shop as fast as I possibly can. It's still hard to pick just one thing for me, because there are so many awesome things to do in SM.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • I want to run a cantine, and through that, develop my character.

Also #FreeTheEckin.
  • Probably PvP and PvE. No idea which one will grab my attention first. Maybe PvE because PvP is usually more doable when you're a certain level.
  • Lol, @Devina
    I thought that was just something that you were saying just cause. I see it's already actually a thing#FreetheEckin
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • I am going to explore my home planet and then explore space. I will focus on upgrading my ship emphasizing top speed. 
  • Hacking was given a spotlight so long ago that I'd almost forgotten how fun it looked. I'm really looking forward to that too.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Too many things. Will probably start with figuring out what does what (in a broad sense). Poking around at commands to see what information can be uncovered through clever usage. Exploring the mechanics around stats. Typoing, bugging. Thoroughly dissecting GMCP, json, etc. Setting things up client-side for ease of reference/viewing. Parsing logs, resources, etc. Then, all the scripts necessary for bashing, crafting/gathering, and such.

IG, probably exploration first. I guess ships and stuff would be needed for that... but I imagine that's going to be costly, so maybe questing and bashing before that. I don't know. Will have to see. Of course, I'll be documenting every - single - thing that seems useful (there will be org help files at start, right?).

Hacking sounds interesting, so I'm sure that'll be something I attempt early on.
    Not interested in PvP, although I might play around with the props system some.
  • edited August 2018
    Tecton told us that they were writing a ton of help files. Other than brief mentions of there being an org help file system, I haven't heard much about how populated they'll be. If they're anything like the other IREs, I would imagine they're mostly player-written and, therefore, will be sparse initially.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Give me all the player org perms for orghelp files and I will jam them full of knowledgey goodness.
  • Qitorien said:
    Tecton told us that they were writing a ton of help files. Other than brief mentions of there being an org help file system, I haven't heard much about how populated they'll be. If they're anything like the other IREs, I would imagine they're mostly player-written and, therefore, will be sparse initially.
    Yeah, orghelps will be entirely player-composed.
  • Exploration first for me. My character's supposed to have been around the Sector a few times already; gotta be able to back that up. Also, I just plain love figuring out new places.
  • Hello! This is my first attempt at trying to be active in this forum.

Personally I'll try to make as much profit I can from war and politics, and use all that to explore and enrich my character knowledge
  • I've always been late to pick up these games and everything seems figured out already. I want to write tons of help files and be one of the greybeards/gurus this time around. 
  • The very first thing I'm going to do is make sure room descriptions are on verbose. Then my plan is to start exploring. One thing I really want to do is keep my basic character concept in mind during the early days and play my character true to the vague backstory I've given her. It's something I failed at early on when I started playing Achaea, and I don't want it to be detailed and inflexible, but I want the backstory to influence her. 

In other words, RP is gonna be on the forefront and I may set a description early on but I'll want to interact with the game first. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • I mean, the first activity will really be "sitting around for a while throwing lessons at skills", but seeing what hacking can do will be interesting
  • I'm also really excited to interact with all of you IC. Especially anyone who ends up in whatever civilization I end up joining. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • All of the above! Except politics. My plan starting out is to try out everything, feel out my characters and see what I like for them and which one of them I like best. From that, I'll find my favorite activity and MO and stick to that. :)

The one thing I promised myself, though, is that any character in this game would be relatively unattached, not having any responsibilities, so that I can easily go dormant whenever I need to. So politics is out, even though that can be fun too.
  • Because it's the first thing that came to mind >_> :P

BUG the bug command isn't working
    --> You appear to have caused an untrapped error in the code. Please don't execute this command again right now, and please BUG <what you did and how this error occured> with as much information as you can think of.
  • General socializing. I am interested to pick at the brains of those interested in the things I am (even if only by proxy, through "characters")
  • Probably going to be doing a lot of resource gathering.
  • It's difficult to choose just one.

Exploration, resource gathering and PvE tend to go hand in hand. I like knowing stuff about the world, but I've never been into explorer rankings, for example. I prefer spending time in an area, hunting, questing whatever, until I think I know it, then moving on to the next one. I like the idea of benefitting from the knowledge of exploration - whether that is money from rare resources, levels from excellent hunting areas, or even just respect for knowing useful secrets and lore that others don't.

PvP I will engage in from the beginning, though initially probably just sparring and otherwise mucking around - it won't be a serious focus but the best way to never PvP in these games is to keep waiting until you think you're ready. Instead, forget level, skill, opponents etc - just relax and dabble in it with friends for a bit of fun, and keep going for as long as it is still fun. A character that doesn't PvP misses out on a lot of RP opportunities.

• While I will undoubtedly be doing... Most of those, if not all, getting my character established as a character in my head via the details is going to be what I work on first. Rather than my character just being a virtual avatar for gibbing aliens and whatnot. For me, I play IRE games for RP, with everything else being ancillary to that. And getting the personal details sorted helps with that.
  • Pk to start out with and find a way to gather resources.
  • Resource gathering...space mining if that is possible. Make a lot of money etc.
  • There are so many great options, but I'm still surprised only 2 of us (so far) have said hacking! I've been excited to try it out since the first paragraph of the Hacking page on the main site. I will inevitably explore, craft, and try out some challenging PvE in my first couple hours, but I can't wait to try out the new hacking mechanics.
  • I'm excited about hacking. I'm just also excited about everything else!
  • I’m excited to see all of the different gadgets, bots, and turrets Engineers can cook up and how they can all be used.

Also turret layout/defense systems. 
  • edited November 2018
    First you get the gun.
    Then you get the money.
    Then you get the power.
    Then you get more guns.
    Then you get more money.
    Then you get more power.
    Then you get more guns.
    Then you get more money.
    Then you get more power. 
    Then you get mo-