Skip to content

Will we be able to play Starmourn in a web browser (no plugins)?

I ask as work policies mean that the computers we use are completely locked down.  No plugins, no installation of anything, no VPN other than the one provided.  Even a highly basic browser interface would allow those of us in similar environments to chat / RP, if not fully engage with the universe (e.g. flying a ship would be tricky) during the day.

Comments

• You can run most mud programs from a thumb drive or desktop if your USB ports aren't locked down. Telnet comes with a lot of versions of windows. I think windows has terminal server still. All you have to do is connect to starmourn.com over port 23. Content filtering might block "gaming" meta-tagged URLs though... I can think of a few ways around it I'll help you out if nothing else. I'm the network admin at my work so no worries here :). Sorry for your troubles lol
  • edited October 2018
    Yes. Nexus runs in a web browser, no plug-ins, which is the Iron Realms web client for their games. They'll have it available for Starmourn.

Edited to add: You can test this out by trying Nexus at Achaea: https://play.achaea.com/

If that works, Starmourn will work for you.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Tir_Orin said:
    You can run most mud programs from a thumb drive or desktop if your USB ports aren't locked down. Telnet comes with a lot of versions of windows. I think windows has terminal server still. All you have to do is connect to starmourn.com over port 23. Content filtering might block "gaming" meta-tagged URLs though... I can think of a few ways around it I'll help you out if nothing else. I'm the network admin at my work so no worries here :). Sorry for your troubles lol
    Just as a heads up for this, we had some techs where I work try something similar by running WoW through portableapps on usb and the security service we use was able to detect all of that and immediately ping our network people.

We're super limited in what we can run though, from what I understand they're likely to get a ping if you run any program that shouldn't be on your computer. (It'll actually remove some stuff automatically too)
  • Syaja said:
    Yes. Nexus runs in a web browser, no plug-ins, which is the Iron Realms web client for their games. They'll have it available for Starmourn.

Edited to add: You can test this out by trying Nexus at Achaea: https://play.achaea.com/

Gold star for @Syaja

• Tecton said:
    Syaja said:

Gold star for @Syaja

Thanks for your help!  Unfortunately it doesn't look like it works, using Chrome the red text on login notes some sort of "Object Event" and I get the error pop-up "Unable to connect to the game. Please check your network configuration, or try again later."  On Internet Explorer I don't get the pop-up, but nothing happens when I go to your link, I see the windows but there's no prompt to login.

IT wins again.  Time to find a different workaround.
  • Ugh, sorry to hear they have it locked down so much that they won't even allow websockets :(
  • Sairys said:
    Tir_Orin said:
    You can run most mud programs from a thumb drive or desktop if your USB ports aren't locked down. Telnet comes with a lot of versions of windows. I think windows has terminal server still. All you have to do is connect to starmourn.com over port 23. Content filtering might block "gaming" meta-tagged URLs though... I can think of a few ways around it I'll help you out if nothing else. I'm the network admin at my work so no worries here :). Sorry for your troubles lol
    Just as a heads up for this, we had some techs where I work try something similar by running WoW through portableapps on usb and the security service we use was able to detect all of that and immediately ping our network people.

We're super limited in what we can run though, from what I understand they're likely to get a ping if you run any program that shouldn't be on your computer. (It'll actually remove some stuff automatically too)
    You're absolutely right I have a lot of stuff locked down in just this way. I wouldn't recommend ever trying to play some games if you have real techs and you'd get in trouble. I don't actively snoop or really care but if I'm told to pull logs it's all there. Safety first.  
  • Update: Turns out if I launch a virtual desktop I can get into Achaea from there!  Success!  Thanks to all for your help.

Ready for a beta key now :)
  • Hooray! 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.