Skip to content

Which Race Poll - a link so every option is out there

Hey everyone! 

Forum polls don't allow for every option so here's a link to a private strawpoll.

https://strawpoll.com/pdf45pek

You should totally vote and maybe comment here with what you voted for. 
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• (Totally sticking with a filthy W'hoorn.) 

:)
  • I'm most likely going to try my hand at most if not all of them at one point or another, but my main will be Jin, pretty sure.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Qitorien said:
    I'm most likely going to try my hand at most if not all of them at one point or another, but my main will be Jin, pretty sure.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person who wants to experiment with different combinations of race/class/civilization. 
  • I really like the Elgan, Nusriza, and Tukkav. I think I have decided on Tukkav. 
  • Still sticking with Elgan. Although Amaians and Humans come close after.
  • Jin, W'hoorn, Nusriza... Those are the three I keep waffling back and forth on.
  • Ry'nari. I'd consider trying something else much, much later for an alt; Jin, maybe, or Nath-el. But for the near future, no question: Ry'nari.
  • The Krona, Ry'nari, Shen and Tukkav are my favorite non-human races; I selected Ry'nari because it's still on my mind to be a Ry'nari tavern owner, but I know I'll have a human too.
  • I am very sad that I misspelled Shen in this poll and can't fix it. :(
  • I'm going to be an Elgan - it's just so fitting to how I plan to play.
  • I'm sure I'll main human, but I do like Elgan and will give one a spin at some point.
    Playing a stealthy Nath'el does make me grin slightly, but not enough to put time into.
  • I'll probably be boring and just stick with human for my main character, but I do find both Elgan and Shen interesting, potentially as alts. Tiny people races like imp/hobbit/pixie/kender/gnome/halfling always appeal to me for some reason, and Shen appeal to me because of their culture and aesthetic.

Plus, I relate to them in that I too 'find meat-eating in others to be quite distasteful'. I'd enjoy being able to incorporate some of that into my character since I could do so in a way that's authentic and congruent. The idea of being a cook and opening a restaurant serving authentic Shen cuisine also appeals to me; I'm aware that many people have the misconception that vegan food is very bland, and I'd enjoy designing food options that actually show just how much variety there is out there. Falafel and hummus platter with some couscous, quinoa and tabouleh anyone? Tofu laksa? Beet-balls? Nom. It'd be a nice lore-friendly roleplay hub/hangout too, ideally.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• I find the amount of potential humans exciting, from initial talks it sounded like we would be the minority. I'm predicting a human populated Scatterhome is going to be the immediate booming civilization and I intend on using it to FIND AND RECLAIM THE EARTH.
  • There's a lot more answers out there than the last time I checked. This is exciting.
  • Nath-El all the way. A cybernetic rhino beetle would just be awesome.....then I saw the B.E.A.S.T class and squeeeeed myself.
  • edited October 2018
    I thought I'd made up my mind, but the more background information I read and the more I think about the kind of character I want, the harder it becomes to choose.  I'd alt and/or reroll Ixodon in a heartbeat if they ever become playable but, barring that, the only thing I know for sure are the species I like the least. :confused:

If I were invited to the closed beta and had to choose right that moment, I'd probably go with either Nuzrisa or Ry'nari, but W'hoorn is a very, very close third.

Edit: Rambling ahead.
    1. I like the Nuzrisa because they're either the newest or second-newest species – behind only humans, I think – in the sector to use kith because of that relatively recently-discarded religious prohibition.  That doesn't strike me as the kind of thing to materialize out of thin air, so I'm really quite curious about the "when" and "why" of the Echanist ban.  Was there some terrible kith war among pre-spaceflight Nuzrisan societies?  Hostile first contact with one of Starmourn's other species that also led to the anti-fraternization stance?  Were the Nuzrisa influenced by an Elder Race so far in the past that it syncretized into their religious beliefs?  So many questions!

2. I like the Ry'nari because I will never not find "quasi-Mongolian magical space dinosaur" to be awesome and album-cover worthy, and do I really need any deeper reason than that? :lol:

3. I like the W'hoorn because how and why did this species come to be ?  Starmourn isn't a fantasy setting where a god got bored/pleased/offended one day and spliced wings onto cat people; in all likelihood, they evolved that way.  That aside, I would live to delve into the push and pull of being an exile from one's home: a scholar who came from a warrior culture, who can't quite rid himself of the drive for physical excellence and the adherence to honor in all things. That sense of being permanently separated from your home culture but never able to escape it completely is the kind of character-driven roleplay I love exploring.