Skip to content

What other MUDS have you played?

Comments

• I found Achaea in, I think, the start of 2000. Maybe the year before. I'd tried a few other muds but Achaea's community was really welcoming at the time and I played it fairly solidly until Aetolia began. 

I've since played all of the IRE muds, Aetolia the pmost and Lusternia the least.

These days I want to play but find family life doesn't leave me enough time to play as seriously as I always end up wanting to.
  • kay said:
    I've played a little bit of most the IRE games. But never very far on most of them. Lusternia I've played a lot of, though, and I've been playing a bit of Aetolia of late, just for something different.

For non-IRE games, few that are actual MUDs. I was one of the ones who played Lithmeria, and I've played some MUCKs or MUSHs. Not entirely sure on the difference there. But I've played ones based on tabletop games, where you create a character with stats and all, and after that it's more free-form, and you gain XP to level that character. Shadowrun: Denver, Shadows over Reno, and Dark Spires being the main ones of those.
    Hahaha yess Lithmeria that was pretty fun. So unfortunate that it was abandoned and is now dead.
  • My first MUD experience was from Mikemia Online in 2010. Was a big fan of Raymond Feist's novels where the MUD was based from, and I just fell in love with the MUD itself, to the point that I became more attracted to the MUD than I was with the novels. Hehe.

When the MUD closed down, I didn't play any other until I gave Achaea a try in late November, 2017. So right now, I'm on Achaea, and it's been amazing so far.

Soon, I'll be on Starmourn and I can't wait. >:-)
  • Kurdock said:
    kay said:
    I've played a little bit of most the IRE games. But never very far on most of them. Lusternia I've played a lot of, though, and I've been playing a bit of Aetolia of late, just for something different.

For non-IRE games, few that are actual MUDs. I was one of the ones who played Lithmeria, and I've played some MUCKs or MUSHs. Not entirely sure on the difference there. But I've played ones based on tabletop games, where you create a character with stats and all, and after that it's more free-form, and you gain XP to level that character. Shadowrun: Denver, Shadows over Reno, and Dark Spires being the main ones of those.
    Hahaha yess Lithmeria that was pretty fun. So unfortunate that it was abandoned and is now dead.
    It was, yes. And could have been more so with a bit more work. And it had some things about it that I really liked. Such as the describing of individual body parts, in addition to an overall description, then having someone looking at you seeing any of the described parts not covered by clothes. So describe your fingers, but wear gloves? Finger description doesn't show up.
  • I enjoyed the lore behind Hybrids in that game and how they had a real reason to be part of both organizations.
  • I've played with all of the IRE muds, along with Finnish muds Batmud, Zombiemud, and Icesus.
  • Been playing MUDs since 1995 while in the seventh grade. I actually started in Avalon when it was strictly pay to play (which is probably the main reason I didn't stick around). Joined Cardea when a few people from Avalon decided to create their own MUD. Stayed with them until their V3 update basically went nowhere, at which point I was already pretty involved with Lusternia. Just recently called it quits there too and decided to give Imperian a try. It isn't too bad, though you can bet your butts my crazy ass is coming over here (playing by phone and all!) once the release is announced!
  • I've played all of the IRE at some point in my 10+ years of playing MUDS, nevered strayed away from them. Achaea as always been my first, and it seems to always draw me back. 
  • Uachet said:
    I've played with all of the IRE muds, along with Finnish muds Batmud, Zombiemud, and Icesus.
    The Finnish muds are where I got my started MUDing, a god awful long time ago.
  • The one I played the most was Dragonrealms where I had a handful of characters over the years with one being a very HLC (it took years in DR to get high level).

I've fooled around on a bunch of others but lack of population always made me lose interest.
  • Aetolia was my first good experience with MUDs.
    Imperian was where I gained a better understanding.
    Geas is where I tried something different (not for long).
    Lusternia is where I achieved greatness (relatively speaking, anyway).
    Midkemia Online I played briefly.

Most of my time is on Lusternia. My character's roleplay clicked with me and was a lot of fun for many years, starting back in 2007 or so. Other games I never had a strong RP sense, which I feel is vital to maintain my interest. I still play Lusternia, but I don't really enjoy it anymore. I feel done with it for the most part. No fault of IRE, mind you, it is just time for something new.
  • I played Gemstone back in the day when it was Gemstone III, mid to late 90's?  I think I accessed it through AoL!  HA!.  Haven't played a MUD until last month when I found Achaea.    Now I see this!!!!! I am super excited to get in at the beginning of Starmourn and I like the  Sci-Fi space theme!
  • My first ever MUD, I think if i recall was GENESIS. I played that on and off for about a year, until I stumbled upon another one, very similar to Wizards of The Coasts, D&D setting, Dark Sun. After that, I kinda just wandered around not finding any MUD's that could keep my interest,until I played Achaea. I'm gonna be completely honest and say that I haven't gotten very far, due to the fact of school, but I'll get there eventually. (pardon the cringe, this is my first forum post)
  • Hi folks! Thought this would be a good place to stop lurking and actually start being involved in the community. I've been MUDding for over a decade and most of that time was in an IRE. Primarily played Lusternia but often dabbled in all the others. Loved a lot of the aspects of Midkemia and was sad to see it go. In particular, the slower, more methodical combat was a huge draw to me.

I've been admin on a few small rp intensive muds that failed (I don't think that was my fault). 

Looking forward to Starmourn immensely.
  • Aetolia and Imperian here. Dipped a toe in Midkemia Online, Lusternia and Achaea, but never stayed enough to establish myself.
  • Cen said:
    Aetolia and Imperian here. Dipped a toe in Midkemia Online, Lusternia and Achaea, but never stayed enough to establish myself.
    Mostly the opposite for me, call it 70-30 Lusternia and Achaea, with a few weeks spent in Aetolia and just a couple stabs at Imperian. Never got around to trying Midkemia before it was gone, sadly.
  • I've played Dark & Shattered Lands for the best part of 19 years. Dabbled here and there, and while I loved Aardwolf's engine could never get past the lack of RP. I've tried a few IRE games before, but always felt lost, and frankly DSL gives me my fantasy fix.
  • I played Lilah (Dragon Chieftain/nitehork/abomination/fake-elf/death cultist) in Midkemia Online before a stint as the Goddess Ruthia. I also had a lot of fun playing a Cabalist Imp called Nia in Aetolia for a while, but wasn't too keen on certain aspects of the player culture, namely the craft-approval system and a lot of double standards in its 'PG-13' tagline, like the fact it has tortured cats with gored/skinned faces in Bloodloch and crucified children on a slave island, but I got told building an NPC brothel in the liberal, morally ambiguous renaissance city of Spinesreach would be too risque. I can't abide that kind of nonsense.

I've played every IRE at some point, but those are the ones that held my attention the longest as an adult. (I've been at this since I was 9, so it's been a journey, you know?)

I tend towards darker characters and have a fascination with the grotesque. So you'll usually find me playing some variation of rogue/spy/vagrant or a pint-sized monster (e.g., Imps). I'll probably play a Scoundrel or an Engineer in Starmourn.

Outside of IRE I've got an on-and-off love-hate relationship with a horror MUD called HavenRPG and I've had a few summer flings with a variety of MUSHes.

I'm a roleplayer. I like words. I like writing. My characters are usually crafters, explorers, event-runners and politicians. I enjoy conflict RP, but don't really care for PvP/grinding spam that much.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• The last one I played was Lament age of wolves, fun game, too bad the player base is so low
  • My first MUDs were a Battletech MUD & Achaea almost simultaneously. Then I got into Lusternia pretty heavily and played that for around 5 years. I worked on ToP for a couple of years, and while that was fun, I guess it's not technically playing.
  • Started in Achaea around 2001, maybe 2002, then went to Imperian (back when Ithaqua was still a clan). Joined Lusternia on opening day, spent a lot of time there in the early days. Real life got in the way for a while, then MKO came out and I played Auwa (gross goblin rogue) there. I was out of the scene for a couple years, by the time I came back to MUDs MKO had shut down, Lusternia and Imperian were too far from what I had loved, so I'm on Achaea again after all these years.
    I'm gone.
  • I have been playing MU*'s  since the late 80's, I probably played Midkemia the longest as the Duke of Krondor and Achaea which I joined when it first opened.
  • I played DragonRealms the most (both back in 90's on aol and picked it back up on and off a few times since then), have dabbled with a lot of others - but nothing long-term.
  • Avalon RPG
  • I've played quite a few over the last 25 years. 

I can't remember my first, but I've played Avalon, Ardwolf, Gemstone, Dragonrealms, Dragon's Gate, Achaea, Modus Operandi, and several others that I can't even recall. I've always found MUDs have the potential to be far more complex and immersive than the majority of games I've played
  • Seth said:
    I worked on ToP for a couple of years, and while that was fun, I guess it's not technically playing.
    You lasted a lot longer than me - I gave up after about 2 weeks. My role there very much required decisions/approval before I could move on to the next thing, and that was really lacking.
  • Cosrin (on AOL), Federation 2 (AOL and stand alone), Discworld, Aardwolf, Achaea. 

Ive been more on the graphical side of MMOs since i stopped playing Fed2 in like 2000? Shadowbane, WoW, GW 1&2, Warhammer, Wildstar, B&S, Archeage, etc. Currently playing Achaea and a cross platform MMO called Villagers and Heroes. 
  • Indi said:
    Seth said:
    I worked on ToP for a couple of years, and while that was fun, I guess it's not technically playing.
    You lasted a lot longer than me - I gave up after about 2 weeks. My role there very much required decisions/approval before I could move on to the next thing, and that was really lacking.
    Were you a writer or coder?
  • Aardwolf, Phoenix, and Achaea