Skip to content

How aware/intelligent are juvenile Nusriza?

I'd like this context for the sake of understanding how my character's past would have gone, if he would be aware of those he grew up with/quickened with, or if they are basically just animals without their spike in body change. Their maturity is a bit... unique so I'd appreciate any guidance here for how a juvenile's mind functions compared to an adult, and how my character would remember himself growing up!

For the first fifteen or so years of their life, they are flying lizards essentially. I'm aware they change physically after eating Algerion meat, but how do the develop mentally? Do they advance at the same rate as a human child? Slightly slower or faster? Or do they just hardcore hit the books during those two-ish years before officially being an adult in their society at 17?

Example, would a 12 year old Nusriza, who is not bipedal, be able to communicate with the adults? Their language has sign language cues and very complex vocals I am to understand, but they cannot exactly stand up and wave their arms around, are their vocal chords always developed at least? Would it be like talking flatly for the adults?

Do their brains also develop rapidly after eating Algerion meat, or is the mental difference between a 15 and late-16 year old Nusriza minimal?

Comments

• Shameless bump.
  • Alright it's been a couple months, don't mind me, just gonna give this anoooother bump because I still want to know this for RP purposes and making a backstory.
  • I am not an expert but:

"Example, would a 12 year old Nusriza, who is not bipedal, be able to communicate with the adults? (...) Would it be like talking flatly for the adults?"

From the article on the Nusriza: "with 14 different distinct tones lending shading to the meaning of words, and a wide variety of subtle hand gestures that shade the meaning of those toned words further"

Hands are more important than the legs in their language. Thus, a handless Nusriza would be as talking flatly if we take the article as a source not one who lacks his feet. You were correct.

"but how do the develop mentally?"

This is a question of what cosmology the world of Starmourn would follow usually cosmologies determine what type of processes are possible for growth in their various domains. Is there mind? is there soul? Do the Nusriza have their own method to consider when one of their own is "fully" developed. Is algerion meat purely biological in its process? Can they measure the processes of which the undergo when eating the meat?

"Do they advance at the same rate as a human child? Slightly slower or faster?"

Assuming that one's biology and life span is indicative of the speed in which one persists then the fact that Nusriza live "about 160 years" mean that they may develop slightly slower and that algerion meat is an accelerant of sorts for their development as a species with X biology. I am assuming here that a Nusriza that does not eat algerion meat is effectively another species. Just as a neantherthal can be considered a different species distinct from homo sapiens.

"Or do they just hardcore hit the books during those two-ish years before officially being an adult in their society at 17?"

I would expect that a language which is complex like theirs would have tools of learning that are unlike books but commit to the same use. Possible example: Our movies are their books because it is easier to convey meaning with sound and visual for them by definition. The fact that the game has not 'all' the details is an opportunity for you to give what you can to the history of the game itself. If your character IS in the world as he is and his memories are as such, only a direct rebellion from others from reputable sources could contradict you as a player to urge you to reconsider. but your character is who he is until you think otherwise and if your character cannot truly be who he is, a ban would be better than constant oppression by other players that can't deal with contradictions in their games or RP.

"Example, would a 12 year old Nusriza, who is not bipedal, be able to communicate with the adults?"

In another sense of this question With a language of complex tones, they could have established the 'tonal architecture' of the language of their prior state. However, this would be purely interpretive in as so far that it seems that if a 12 year old nusriza can communicate as well as a 16 year old Nusriza then I would say that that a 12 year old Nusriza communicating rather than 'being interpreted' could be a Nusriza 'genetic' prodigy and that from his eating of the fruit deploy such genius forwards. Why haven't they changed their own biology? How do they feel about their sexual past?

"Do their brains also develop rapidly after eating Algerion meat, or is the mental difference between a 15 and late-16 year old Nusriza minimal?"

This is a question you could use to define it before anyone else. Measure it and describe it as best you can or refer to the accepted cosmology.

Not everyone is the same. Although we may share species we do not share the same individuality or else we would all want to live in the same place at the same time with the same people which would imply taking the place of everyone else that wants the same place. We would be unable to travel except where the whole species is a hive-mind kind of situation where the 'species individual' realizes it needs to travel through its many bodies and cannot just nest itself forever in one place.

What your character is, is a Nusriza.

Who 'he' is, is how you will make him react to what he is. It might be a culture shock to realise that there are some species that do not depend upon a specific thing to acquire 'sentience'.

Seek inspiration if you can throughout your everyday life and contrast it with the life your character might have had with what you can know about Nusriza and who you want him to be.

Arche, Logos, Muthos, Kratos, Xenia, Agathos, Ethos, Philo, Sophia.

Hope this helps. Thanks for reading what you could.