Skip to content

Are Space Battles Visible Planetside?

If, for example, someone's cruiser explodes in orbit above me, or in nearby space, will I get to see the pretty lights? Can I use some sort of telescope to get this effect? And per the other question asked on Discord, will falling space debris be a potential hazard?

Comments

• I would totally understand if, for coding reasons, the space layer was separated from the ground layer and no interaction was possible... Still, it would have been awesome to both witness big events from the ground and to have huge debris falling down :awesome:
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • No plans for this at launch, as cool as it would be! Maybe in the future though!
  • Quean said:
    I would totally understand if, for coding reasons, the space layer was separated from the ground layer and no interaction was possible
    That's correct, though we still know what celestial bodies are within X range of something in space, so it'd certainly be possible to show a ship blowing up to everybody on the planet (there'd be no conception of being on the wrong side of the planet or something though). 
  • Aurelius said:
    Quean said:
    I would totally understand if, for coding reasons, the space layer was separated from the ground layer and no interaction was possible
    That's correct, though we still know what celestial bodies are within X range of something in space, so it'd certainly be possible to show a ship blowing up to everybody on the planet (there'd be no conception of being on the wrong side of the planet or something though). 
    How about making exploding ships only visible at night? That'd make sense, since otherwise it'd be too bright to see them, and also nicely simulates you standing on the wrong side of the planet to see it half the time.
  • Tecton said:
    No plans for this at launch, as cool as it would be! Maybe in the future though!
    Every time you use this phrase, my confidence in Starmourn actually launching grows :-) It shows that you are focused on the core systems and are not distracted by the myriad wonderful possibilities. 
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • Quean said:
    Tecton said:
    No plans for this at launch, as cool as it would be! Maybe in the future though!
    Every time you use this phrase, my confidence in Starmourn actually launching grows :-) It shows that you are focused on the core systems and are not distracted by the myriad wonderful possibilities. 
    Yeah, we are focused on getting it out. It's not going to be anywhere near as feature-full at launch as we'd like, and it's not going to be as polished as we'd like either, but that's just the reality. Small company, big game, etc.