Skip to content

Racial names

edited August 2018 in The Commsphere
I've had (more than a few) requests from people asking to provide some examples of racial names to try and help people figure out how to name their characters. So I thought I'd put some up here in a thread as a good resource for you all. If you want more information on the races and backstories, check out the wiki - https://wiki.starmourn.com.

Amaian
   Cracios             Verita            Zandra
   Tytus               Jace              Dimitris
   Arlia               Medea             Thale

Decheeran
   Silvaeben           Lirior            Gandresh
   Caichanar           Barthor           Althedir
   Thuri               Thranfel          Breghiel

Elgan
   Miglia              Fensis            Quaser
   Bilni               Sinji             Felfani
   Qorix               Jayde             Prixi

Jin
   Aisu                Itiko             Kinohi
   Ikoti               Tholus            Etana
   Shofi               Nenko             Uluyi

Krona
   Zi                  Rab               Iva
   Aya                 Zeri              Anbu
   Makru               Ador              Dan

Nath-el
   Frisa               Sieti             Lya
   Heeli               Fen               Gerrit
   Minka               Alle              Lourens

Nusriza
   Ametz               Lukano            Haneta
   Tosea               Iluro             Aziza
   Elazrakina          Jenova            Augustin

Ry'nari
   Verga               Survara           Crotarus
   Khivrak             Cuvaro            Wumari
   Vika                Khagrim           Pruta

Shen
   Hiqum               Zaifa             Kupka
   Niza                Ayit              Humi
   Dezha               Suya              Uzef

Tukkav
   Forro               Vul               Jira
   Jozz                Guaggha           Dagnir
   Dix                 Tifria            Sha

W'hoorn
   Khana               Khu               Darar
   Corik               Reteli            Ryram
   Dylvas              Sohuri            Ixin

Comments

• Humans don't get names? Or humans are just so contrarian that their names defy categorization?
  • That and we're all human so any of our names from any human ethnicity seems reasonable to use, hence Maddox, Akari, etc.
  • Sure, but that's no fun. I like to think the humans keep naming their kids things like Gjutdsrfdfxg and Khhhthalgrx just to force everybody to try to pronounce them.
  • 
    Human
       Harland             Spinny            Genny
       Salle               Viala             Eyolla
       Barabus             Helane            Solivar

• edited August 2018
    That's an interesting topic - alien languages, human languages in particular. Did the humans possess enough knowledge of Earth languages to properly teach future generations how to use them or have the languages evolved (or devolved) into something unique? Did the penal colony contain a database of the languages, allowing the knowledge to be spread and passed down? Is it a nonissue if mindsims work as universal translators? If mindsims do function as translators, should characters be using accents and dialects in spoken word?
  • For that matter, if mindsims do work as universal translators, do they have external microphones, or are they dependant on the user's hearing? And if it's the latter, how could it properly translate the tone-requiring Nusrizan language heard through a Ry'nari's tone-deaf ears?
  • Maybe the mindsims communicate through the commsphere, exchanging thoughts and ideas, bypassing auditory processing within the brain? In the moment that the Nusrizan thinks of something to say, the mindsim grabs that information, conveys it to the Ry'nari via the commpshere, and the Ry'nari's mindsim converts it into something useable? The downside would be if a mindsim wasn't loaded with the proper service/upgrade (aka credit purchased language passes in the other games) to translate the information into something useable or if the information was completely alien to the mindsim?

We need a wiki page on this, unless languages' function in Starmourn are going to be similar to those in the other games.
  • If the mindsim just does a flat translation, it wouldn't need the tones, though I suspect it would lead to some amusing misunderstands with Ry'nari and other races due to their inability to really differentiate those things.
  • This might make for an interesting topic in and of itself. I'd assume any sort of translative prog in a mindsim would aim for a concept to concept translation rather than word to word, or even sentence to sentence. So, like, instead of translating "um den heißen Brei herumreden" literally into "talk around hot porridge", it gets turned into whatever the Ry'nari equivalent of "beat around the bush" is for someone whose base of understanding is Ry'nari culture and language. Assuming their mindsim is properly coded, anyway.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • Took me a bit to find it, but I knew I remembered reading something about language before. https://forums.starmourn.com/discussion/comment/345#Comment_345
    That's not to say there won't be racial languages. I don't remember seeing anything answered about that specifically.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Decheeran is disgustingly Elvish. I will be bucking tradition.
  • I was just thinking yesterday that without surnames at the start, something like this would be super helpful and then this list appears. @Tecton has hacked into my mindsim or something.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • I miss the original plan for surnames to be from a pre-generated list, I won't lie.
  • Devina said:
    I miss the original plan for surnames to be from a pre-generated list, I won't lie.
    Me too. I'd love for that to be an option still.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Maybe this doesn't matter, but the Ry'nari name Verga is an extremely common swear word in Spanish meaning male genitalia. Possibly consider changing it if that stuff matters to you guys? 
  • Squeakums said:
    Maybe this doesn't matter, but the Ry'nari name Verga is an extremely common swear word in Spanish meaning male genitalia. Possibly consider changing it if that stuff matters to you guys? 
    The Ry'nari version of Richard, then?
  • edited September 2018
    Squeakums said:
    common swear word in Spanish
    Like the Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4... one of the more successful serious four wheel drives ever, around the world? Bunch of wankers...