Skip to content

Death/Retirement in Starmourn

Going through the wiki and rereading about different races with their expected lifespans, I think I remember hearing that there will be a way to prolong one's life.

However, say you're playing an Amaian. Would you be able to undergo the Last Inundation? (That is, I think, half of why I find that race so appealing. Y'all did a fantastic job setting up cultures.)
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• Not currently, player characters will live forever. I'm sure we could theme retirement for some of the races that have a cultural death sort of thing in the future!
  • edited September 2018
    Maybe not for this game, but I think it would be pretty neat for specific characters to have a finite lifespan. Something cool I remember from old-school JRPG's (think Chrono Trigger) was the New Game+ feature. Sure, your current game was over, but you could start anew with all of the goodies that you had in your last game (in other words, that character might have died, but you retain all of the items/levels/skills you had -- you just inhabit a new body (with a new name perhaps.)
  • look up Chronicles of Elyria. not a mud, but they're trying it. considered very much a gamble. were I IRE, I'd let someone else try it first. :)
  • @bairloch Yeah. I despise mmo's.
  • There are a lot of MUDs that do deal in 'death', permanent death through combat and finite lifespans included; I think, due to the habit of IRE MUDs being combat-heavy, permadeath would be a bit daunting and people would start just killing each other over small things like silly comments. Which they do anyways sometimes, but in a permadeath MUD, you have to deal with the fact that it'd be a lot more soul-crushing to deal with trolls.
  • Yeah, when I say permadeath here, I'm referring to death by player choice which would really be retirement with a race-themed skin on it, essentially. A ceremonial type death rather than say, getting ganked in space, now your character is gone forever.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • It would be pretty awesome if you could enter a command to make a death permanent once retirement was set up for you.
    Go into battle to defend your homeworld, die in it, make it permanent.
  • Sairys said:
    It would be pretty awesome if you could enter a command to make a death permanent once retirement was set up for you.
    Go into battle to defend your homeworld, die in it, make it permanent.
    This, yes. This is how you pass into legend.