Skip to content

Which civilization will you play in?

As we've gained more information about civilizations and their governing style, it seemed like a good time to ask this question again.
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• I've gone back and forth a lot because I love the differences and uniqueness of all three, but I think Martias and the Angel really solidified my desire to have my character start off in the Ascendancy. Especially given how recent that history is.
  • I know one of my characters will be in Song, and one in Scatterhome. I'd like to try them all for flavor but the Ascendancy is the least interesting to me, simply due to its political system being so similar to the other IRE games; its culture might win me over though.
  • Devina said:
    I know one of my characters will be in Song, and one in Scatterhome. I'd like to try them all for flavor but the Ascendancy is the least interesting to me, simply due to its political system being so similar to the other IRE games; its culture might win me over though.
    I tend to suck at alting, so chances are I may flirt with it a bit but those characters will end up by the wayside. Probably.
  • Scatterhome seems like the best place for an old merchant/brigand such as myself. Of course I'll still be supplying the Ascendency and the Dominion with my morally-neutral services, but I would only feel at home among fellow rogues and scoundrels.
  • Scatterhome, where the forces trying to kill you and take what you've got have names and facesSmashable faces.

• I was most interested in Scatterhome -- convince me to play Song! I mean, being the Lord Commander sounds pretty fun because the other factions will totally not hate you, right?
  • I was most interested in Scatterhome -- convince me to play Song! I mean, being the Lord Commander sounds pretty fun because the other factions will totally not hate you, right?
    Well, you could always do what the other factions want. Then only your own people will hate you.
  • edited August 2018
    IDK any more, maybe Ascendancy. But Scatterhome might be interesting.

Right now, just not sure if I want to sign up for the disconnect between what I was expecting with Song and the newest info.

• Sairys said:
    Right now, just not sure if I want to sign up for the disconnect between what I was expecting with Song and the newest info.
    I was all for Song when it was a strong people who refused to give up their planet despite it being destroyed. I was going to RP a Decheeran that was convinced the planet could be saved.

Now? No idea.
  • edited August 2018
    @Sairys @bairloch @WyldeKarde - the thing with The Song Dominion is that you could play characters very much against the harsh dictatorship and/or slavery, who refuse to give up on it and who gain influence in order to change how things are done. Whether or not that's achievable is another thing, but it would be a fantastic story to play out.

Actually, @bairloch - that would fit a Decheeran well as they don't do formal governments. 
  • Syaja said:
    @Sairys @bairloch @WyldeKarde - the thing with The Song Dominion is that you could play characters very much against the harsh dictatorship and/or slavery, who refuse to give up on it and who gain influence in order to change how things are done. Whether or not that's achievable is another thing, but it would be a fantastic story to play out.

Actually, @bairloch - that would fit a Decheeran well as they don't do formal governments. 
    For me... I just don't have the energy for that.

It'd be a change to the core identity of the organisation, which also might be a reason someone wants to play there. The only reason I'd imagine it happening would be if the org tanked compared to the other two. 

The simpler story lines would be Song exiles, people from families that couldn't stomach what was happening. Ascendancy types might have given up on Song and might want to try saving Glisal II/settle on another planet that's nice. Scatterhome types could have become disillusioned with governments altogether.
  • I mentioned elsewhere, but don't get me wrong, there's so much in what we know about the Dominion that appeals to me. The loss of the world and the refusal to give up, instead rebuilding. Kinda reminds me of the Martians in the Expanse (only seen tv, books are on my list). 

The architectural notes and that it's where the Decheeran are featured are further selling points, i'd potentially have a lot of fun delving into that. 

But yeah :/
  • Sairys said:
    For me... I just don't have the energy for that.
    It's not just you. :)
  • super interested in the scatterhome dynamic!
  • None of the above. All of them. Whichever.

Musical orgs, a classic IRE-wide pastime. Might as well shoot for first champion (there should be an honors line for that: He was the first to be kicked out of every civilization).
  • Shamelessly bumping this now that there's been an influx of activity. 
  • In spite of the developers giving us some very evocative articles about them, I'm not yet strongly attracted to any of the civilizations.  There are two things I'd like to see before I commit to one or another:
    1. How the governance mechanics work out in practice. 
    2. What aspects of each civilization the players themselves choose to emphasize.
  • I've got two character concepts I'm considering at the moment. One is Scatterhome, the other is Celestine Ascendancy. I'm undecided for the moment.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• I think all of us are playing around with different character concepts (at least I know I am). For what I'm imagining right now, without any true in-game context, Scatterhome sounds like the most fun. But depending how the actual players develop the culture throughout the Celestine Ascendancy and definitely the Song Dominion (so many great opportunities in those ideas), that could change pretty quick.
  • Definitely Song Dominion. I love the whole comcept of living above a wasteland planet on a floating city.
  • The balance here is about what I'd expect to see in game.