Skip to content

Ship Insurance

So I was browsing the starmourn site, eagerly waiting for the game to launch so I can go to space (because space is justifiably awesome) and was reading the ship destruction and repair section. It said that each time your ship blows up the cost of the insurance increases, varying on the size of the ship. Will it always increase or are there ways we could decrease it, because I could see the price getting prohibitively high as the game goes on.

Comments

• It is my understanding that the intent of the insurance prices increasing is to encourage people to protect their ship and to take destruction of their ship seriously. By raising the price, I believe the developers hope that players will not sacrifice their ships repeatedly knowing it is likely to be destroyed in whatever endeavor the owner is undertaking. 

I would think that over time of "flying safe" and not losing your ship, the insurance price will go back down.
  • Bandus said:
    It is my understanding that the intent of the insurance prices increasing is to encourage people to protect their ship and to take destruction of their ship seriously. By raising the price, I believe the developers hope that players will not sacrifice their ships repeatedly knowing it is likely to be destroyed in whatever endeavor the owner is undertaking. 

I would think that over time of "flying safe" and not losing your ship, the insurance price will go back down.
    I hope so :)
  • I hope so too, because after a few rl years, no one would be flying a ship anymore except for those that are very wealthy and I already know that won't be me, i have never figured out how to make enough gold to do anything in any game i have played, other than WoW, that was easy, just make a bunch of bags and put them on auction for the highest bidder lol.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • I can't imagine it goes up infinitely else nobody would undock eventually.  Have a feeling the re-insure cost will go down over time and that time increases on each ship destruction, or have a cap, something of that nature.
  • Eventually it would just be cheaper to purchase a new ship yourself -- it would never go up infinitely. 

Like any insurance product, if they are 100% sure you are going to get blown-up within the first premium window then you are pretty much not insurable.  Therefore, it would make sense that if you are being blown-up several times a day that you would need to either fly more carefully or ensure that your risk/reward for being blown-up offsets the costs of purchasing new ships.  I can see this as a place for orgs to step-in and purchase replacement ships if there are wars, for example.  Being well-funded via shadow proxies will be fun!
  • @WyldeKarde Is correct!

We'll see how it plays out in practice.
  • edited August 2018
    I like the cost of insurance going up consistently. My suggestion would be to make it a bit rarer of an occurrence for a ship to actually be permanently destroyed though (idk if this is already the case). You would counterbalance this with a few things...for instance: 

- Forcing jettison of cargo if you're attacked. An NPC pirate would stop to get the cargo over destroying a ship for no reason. in a pvp situation the cargo jettison would maybe make your fleeting faster and the attacker might want to stop to retrieve the items. 
    - Massive damage to hull or modules that would either be permanently destroyed or repairable. 
    - Being stranded somewhere with no drives - maybe make this a very long fix vs you dying. Can always self destruct if it'll take too long.
    - If something/someone has you over a barrel you can always pay them to not finish you off?
    - Crash landings requiring NPC/PC retrievals for a price or out of the goodness of their heart.  This would also waste your time.

-Etc

I can't extort you if you're dead.