Skip to content

Combat and Wetwiring

I've just added a new page to Starmourn.com with details of how combat and wetwiring work! I know this has been a hotly anticipated topic, so feel free to ask your questions below, and I'll get them answered!

Comments

• Very cool! Also first
  • This seems like a more engaging system than my past experiences trying to cure what seemed like a thousand afflictions simultaneously.  
    Yeah definitely more involved. Rather than just sitting there hoping that the automatic system cures X thing you have to consider the consequences of your healing.
  • This looks neat! Will we be able to see the state of our own systems freely? Will there be skills for scoping out our opponents'?
  • DIAGNOSE will show you the state of your own systems, yep, along with the afflictions you may have. 

• Or if you've taken some damage...

Nevermind the placeholder affliction blurbs.
  • So there's two types of afflictions: ones from enemies and one from internal system damage, correct?

Also, with the "ww mend blah" command take balance, use it's own balance, or just require balance to use but not consume it?
  • Groot said:
    So there's two types of afflictions: ones from enemies and one from internal system damage, correct?

Also, with the "ww mend blah" command take balance, use it's own balance, or just require balance to use but not consume it?
    Yeah, 2 different types.

WW MEND needs and uses balance, as well as having its own cooldown. So you need to strategically pick when you mend, since you'll be off-balance when you do!
  • Someone just asked this on Discord, so I'm posting it up here for everybody to see:

Well, my impression is that the internal systems are kind of all like their own "health bar" with various affects that will become progressively worth as the meters deplete. My instinct tells me that different classes will likely specialize at attacking a specific internal system.

If that's the case, I worry that there will be a "meta" internal system to attack that applies the "worst" affect. I'm eager to see how you all balance it.
    We've tried to balance the system damage effects/afflictions to be relatively equal, but many classes can exploit a damaged system for their own advantage. This does mean that they can use abilities that will directly target that system, or they can be sneaky and try to get the other systems feeding back into their target system as well!
  • Also from Discord:
    Is wetwiring a piece of equipment you can upgrade or is it standardized
    Example: gear drop, my system is way better at healing muscular but weaker nervous
    Wetwiring and its capabilities is standardised across all players and NPCs, at this point in time. If we feel that the system needs some more dynamics, having different wetwiring systems with bonuses/maluses is one area that we've pondered.
  • @Tecton Does using diagnose take up any balance?
  • taserface said:
    @Tecton Does using diagnose take up any balance?
    Not currently, no.
  • edited August 2018
    Any concerns that the diagnose display might be too lengthy for use in live combat? Speaking of combat, will it be fast-paced (read: wall of blur) or manual-friendly? Will afflictions and damage be conveyed in GMCP as well?
  • Can attacking one of the systems (Mind, Wetwiring or Sensory seem likely candidates) cause the diagnostics to fail or report erroneous information?
  • zacc said:
    Any concerns that the diagnose display might be too lengthy for use in live combat? Speaking of combat, will it be fast-paced (read: wall of blur) or manual-friendly? Will afflictions and damage be conveyed in GMCP as well?
    Combat is a bit slower in Starmourn (Attacks are 3 sec balance +/-), and generally less spammy, so hasn't been an issue with diagnose in our internal playtesting so far. As far as GMCP is concerned, we'll put in as much as we need to convey information to the players.
  • Malash said:
    Can attacking one of the systems (Mind, Wetwiring or Sensory seem likely candidates) cause the diagnostics to fail or report erroneous information?
    Not currently, no.
  • I'm really excited to see how the combat will play out. I'm generally not a combatant, because I struggle to gain much information mid-combat to really be useful outside of groups, but this seems very user-friendly, like Midkemia's combat was Once Upon A Time.

A++ to the awesomeness, gaiz.
  • I loved the pace of Midkemia's combat. It gave me time to think through my moves strategically. If this is building off of that concept (which it sure sounds like it did) that's amazing.
  • ok now i'm excite

• Yeah I like combat being a bit slower too. I played the other games, and it is basically impossible to even read what is happening in any sort of pvp. You can kind of read if it is against basic monsters, but pvp it is just a blur.
  • So a basic setup for manually operating wetwiring would be:

• toggle between healing health vs afflictions (1 x alias / macro / button)
    • and 5 aliases (or equivalent) for mend ie. one for each system

The toggle being something to occasionally change, affecting the behaviour of an automatic system.

Mend doesn't need to be run every time it is off cooldown, nor within milliseconds of whenever it needs to be done.

A really basic balance queue script would still be a huge benefit (eg. if I enter my alias to WW MEND SENSORY and I don't have balance yet, the script would wait until balance is regained before sending the command), but that's an easy, generic script to share, so wouldn't create a divide.

(Will there be an in-game balance queue?)

Sounds interesting. I'm sure some people will automate it still, but it does sound like it will be viable to not automate, so I'm pretty excited.
  • How long does it take for your systems to recover and increase in efficacy again?
    Will I, the attacker, know when and which wetwiring mending operation was applied?
    This seems all relevant to momentum based classes, are some classes going to have prep, too? 
    Regarding prep if it is available, how is that managed compared to other IRE games, where you have a window to perform the right cure or be killed?

Thanks for the review, inventive and cool! Excited to try it out.
  • Archer said:
    How long does it take for your systems to recover and increase in efficacy again?
    Will I, the attacker, know when and which wetwiring mending operation was applied?
    This seems all relevant to momentum based classes, are some classes going to have prep, too? 
    Regarding prep if it is available, how is that managed compared to other IRE games, where you have a window to perform the right cure or be killed?

Thanks for the review, inventive and cool! Excited to try it out.
    1) Currently 45 seconds for the resistance to reduce.
    2) You will see a mending operation, you won't see what system.
    3) Yes, most classes have a prep and momentum option.
    4) Varies somewhat based on your class. 
  • Tecton said:
    zacc said:
    Combat is a bit slower in Starmourn (Attacks are 3 sec balance +/-), and generally less spammy, so hasn't been an issue with diagnose in our internal playtesting so far. As far as GMCP is concerned, we'll put in as much as we need to convey information to the players.
    Are we going to have combat by mail in the next IRE game?

"Damn!" "What, another bill?" "No, he dodged my attack. It took me 6 months to set that up"
  • In Starmourn, you'll need to write down (or equivalent) your attack, place it in an appropriate container, and toss it out a hatch (or beam it into space, or whatever). If they never find it, it's safe to assume that your attack missed.
  • Download your attack onto a flash drive, mail it to them irl
  • Don't be ridiculous.

That's how Hacking works, not combat.
  • Hello,
    Ok heres a question how will combat work for blind players will it be alot of spam  for us Using screen readers because one of the problems I rang in to in the other games and this was when I was fighting in groups and their was so much going on all at once and by that   time my turn came and something my screen reader was still catching up and by  that time, I would be really badly hert or killed even though I did have the auto curing system enabled to try and cure stuff. So how would some of the combat messages look like for blind players, and also what would some of the wetwireing messages look like just wondering.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts