Skip to content

Character Concepts

As someone who has never excelled at text games but still loves to play anything by IRE the roleplay is going to be my main priority and was wondering what concepts or styles you guys are considering playing.

I love the idea of, what I'm sure will be a stereotype, the grizzled human captain running black market shipping operations. Though a part of me wants to play a psychotically violent Rynari B.E.A.S.T.

Comments

• I'm going to try to be a Rebellious Whoor'n who is a bit of a black sheep, still not a fully fleshed out concept and open to be changed... my characters tend to take on there own personalities. 
  • I haven't been able to pick between a Krona scoundrel who's obnoxiously loud and likes to crash parties, a Ry'nari Engineer who sometimes destroys her own tech in moments of broody pique where she thinks they taunt her, or a Shen of some kind. Maybe a human, because humans are so easy, but Krona and Ry'nari are my favorite.
  • I am looking to become a titan of industry -- most likely an Elgin Engineer.
  • I am looking to become a titan of industry -- most likely an Elgin Engineer.
    The tiniest of titans.
  • We are gonna have so many BEASTs...
  • Malash said:
    We are gonna have so many BEASTs...
    I wonder how many of each class there will be at launch (which will be most and which will be least)!
  • Traveler said:
    Malash said:
    We are gonna have so many BEASTs...
    I wonder how many of each class there will be at launch (which will be most and which will be least)!
    Time for a new poll? Things have been fleshed out quite a bit since the last one was taken.
  • I'm going with a W'hoorn who grew up in Scrapston, in spite of not being a minority in the Ascendancy. Instead, she grew up dirt poor idolizing the Angel of Scrapston and is now taking her chances out in the world. She may have ideas of what to expect, but as is prone to happen, I'm expecting life experiences will mold and shape her into something she couldn't prepare for. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • The end goal is to be a rich industrialist human spending his fortune on exploring and hunting big game. 

We all start with nothing so that role is something the character will grow into. 

I haven't settled on how he will begin, but reaching that end goal is not something I'll be in a hurry to get to. 

• Lovable scourge of space, not in a murder-everything-that-stands-in-my-way kind of scourge but more of a 'hold my space-beer' kind of way.

That's what I wanna be.

That and to be the guy who smacks another ship with an asteroid, just to see if it works.
    > tow smallasteroid
    > perform 180
    > [smash bros homerun bat sound]
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • I’m going to be a Nath-el scoundrel: a low-down, treacherous, bottom-feeding waste of space who thinks of nothing or nobody but himself. Just a real cockroach of a creature.
  • I'll be playing the typical money-grubbing Elgan industrialist.
  • Lhundrup said:
    I'll be playing the typical money-grubbing Elgan industrialist.
    Partner or competitor of @WyldeKarde?
  • Malash said:
    Lhundrup said:
    I'll be playing the typical money-grubbing Elgan industrialist.
    Partner or competitor of @WyldeKarde?
    I'm sure he'll agree: Whichever is most profitable!
  • With as much interest in Elgan industrialization as there seems to be, I'm sure some of kind consortium will be in order!
  • I'm planning on making a human scoundrel! A young, barely adult woman who struggled after being born in poverty, seeing her mother manipulated and controlled by those with more power right up until her death. Grew up to be part of a small merc group, interested mostly in jobs that screw over those with ludicrous amounts of power who use it for their own gain. That and flirting with women who could almost certainly kick her butt 
    Maybe a slight focus in hacking? Depends on how difficult the system ends up ^-^ Really looking forward to this!
  • Sounds like you might need a crotchety-but-wise mercenary mentor figure, to surpass and eventually avenge.
  • I would honestly love that if it'd happen!
    I know she's super cliche but that's what I think'll be fun ^-^
  • So the concept I had earlier in the thread doesn't really work if I pick nanoseer or fury, and enjoying the class mechanics is at least as important as enjoying the role, so...

Fury
    Reasonably intelligent and wise to the world, but utterly without any personal ambition. Lives from moment to moment, paycheck to paycheck. Latches on to whoever is the nearest and strongest leader. Bit of a thug, doesn't care about others - at least on the outside. From time to time a conscience surfaces.

This is a redemption story to be played out over at least a year. Probably human, definitely starting Scatterhome, but ending whereever the redemption story takes him.

The endgame (i.e. after the redemption story, when he has discovered something to believe in and work for) - no idea, that's the point of mudding; we're making stories just by playing.

Nanoseer
    Nfi. But I need to think of something because I'm liking the class concept more and more, whereas initially I definitely did not. I could put a slightly different spin on the above idea for fury, but for some reason that just doesn't feel right.
  • I'm looking to play a Nath-El B.E.A.S.T mercenary. He'll be wherever the money is. I would love to start a mercenary company once he's an established name.
  • edited October 2018
    Over the years I've tended to play characters who chased coin, so I'm going for something much different.  Glad that Starmourn offers a completely new beginning and setting in which to do this!
    Loyalty and concern for the interests of my civilization will be foremost.  My character will have been impressed at an early age with the idea of "sticking together" and upholding martial virtues (even if not a formal military position).  Of course I'll be in the Song Dominion.  He'll also have a side of passion for exploration and knowledge sharing. 
    Interesting to read the different types of characters people have been sketching.  Can't wait to see it all become part of the great ongoing drama of Starmourn. 
  • edited October 2018
    Nanoseer

A borderline psychopath. Not in a 'pk anything that moves kind of way'. Nor in a 'Hannibal Lector' type of way either.

Instead, this character will be confused and intrigued by emotions and empathy in others, perhaps trying to emulate it out of curiosity, but never understanding.

This is a character that would be 'good' in everyone's eyes except his own, while his actual reasons are just a burning need to understand why people form social groups and act in ways that don't seem selfish.

This would be a mind that is psychopathic in the strictest definition of the word (remember that something like 1/100 people are psychopaths... most of them are not serial killers). Some event in his past (or possibly even in the present if I can think of how/what) has convinced him that social structure and empathy is really important - so he wants to understand and be part of it - but just cannot.

Edit: I really like this one, but I doubt I will end up rolling with it. I don't feel confident that I can actually pull it off.
  • I want my character to be, first and foremost, a cook. He will explore faraway and remote planets in search of the most exotic ingredients to create culinary masterpieces. Furies seem really fun, so I'll have to find a way to tie that together.

I had originally considered a mercenary of sorts, but like @UninsurablePilot said, it might be fun to balance them out with the other side of the business deal.