Skip to content

Which Client?

Which client are you more than likely going to use to connect to Starmourn? I'm only listing four options here cause I'm guessing the first two are the big ones.
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• I'm just curious. I figure if there's enough Nexus users there will be decent Nexus scripting. Also Nexus is beautiful.
  • I loved Nexus in Achaea. Plus, I use Linux Mint and Mudlet (my second pick) has serious issues with the x32 version.
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • I will use mobile a lot too so I can check in while at work and when away from my computer. 
  • I will likely use Mudlet, as it's what I've been using and what I am used to customizing as far as scripting goes. That said, I'll try out Nexus to see what has changed in the... Years since I've used it, and if I like how it's turned out better than Mudlet.
  • edited June 2018
    To start off with I'll try the nexus client but I'll most likely end up moving to mudlet/Mush.
  • I always used Mudlet but I haven't scripted LUA in a long time (not that I was ever any good really..) and Nexus has come a long way. I'll start with Nexus, but may switch or do both. Given the emphasis that the dev team is using toward not needing automation or scripting as much, I feel better about using Nexus than I did in other IRE games.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I'll be using VipMud, as that's the only way for blind people like myself to play muds effectivly.
  • camaro76 said:
    I'll be using VipMud, as that's the only way for blind people like myself to play muds effectivly.
    I know a couple of people who use Mushclient with their screenreader with fairly decent efficacy, and I know the Mudlet team is working hard on adding screenreader support to that software as well! The future looks bright for screenreader users!
  • I love the aesthetics of Nexus, and like others  have mentioned, with healing being streamlined there is not as big of a pull towards Mudlet. I'm excited to play in the cool design of Nexus. 
  • I play Mudlet in Achaea, but with the improvements in Nexus that have been mentioned, plus the sexier GUI, I'm going to give Nexus a try first. I don't know which one I'll end up with, so I'm not voting. I'd vote for the two of them if I could.
  • Will be trying Nexus first and decide if I wanna use Mudlet after that.
  • I mainly use Nexus, but I also do mobile on occasion when getting to a computer is not viable. 
  • I'm excited to see all this Nexus love. It's come a long way, for one, but high usage means more development. And the work the team has done on making Nexus a completely valid alternative is amazing.
  • Nexus, but if that doesn't work out mudlet. Every time i check out nexus its improved so im looking forward to making it my go to this time around.
  • can I switch my vote?
  • I'm likely going to use Nexus at the start, but eventually I'm just gonna go back to mudlet just because I'm way better at lua and am familiar with mudlet and stuff.
  • Mudlet probably. Too used to it now to move to something else.
  • Nexus. Big reason I play IRE games over other MUDs is that I don't have to deal with extra software.
  • Agreed.  Having both allows each to specialize for its use case as well, so it appears to be a happy symbiosis.
  • Aurelius said:
    The tradeoffs between Nexus and Mudlet probably boil down to:

• Nexus is easier to use to do things like rearrange windows how you want them, point different output at different windows, etc.
    • Mudlet is more powerful, however, and while it's more work, you can do more with that kind of thing in Mudlet ultimately, if you put the work in and know what you're doing.
    • Nexus will provide a much better out-of-the-box experience for space than Mudlet, though we've already worked with the Mudlet chief maintainer to give us support for pushing font packages down to Mudlet. Seeing space with the font we use for it (Arame Mono) will be a much better experience. Beyond that, we automatically push space to a separate window for you in Nexus. Doable in Mudlet for sure, but it's out-of-the-box in Nexus.
    • Nexus is cross-platform, and your same system will work on mobile as does on PC. Mudlet isn't. 
    • Mudlet is a little faster. We're always working on that, but a native application is always going to have a slight advantage speed-wise over an app running in a browser.
    There are others too, but those are probably the main ones from my perspective.

One of my reasons for preferring Nexus is that it's really convenient if you use different computers regularly (which I do, including deep frozen ones).
    You can get something similar with mudlet but it's more effort than something that is built in.
  • I'll probably use the official client. I'm not exactly a MUD sommelier though I have played them before. My presumption is the official one will be more geared specifically to this game so wooh~!
  • I don't know java and the walkthroughs in nexus weren't great (any plan to improve those?).  I'm pretty good with LUA, though, so mudlet is the obvious choice.
  • I voted mudlet but am planning to try nexus out for this as well. I've done a few javascript tutorials and it doesn't seem too difficult... and the readymade GUI is tempting. 

• Nexus without question. If it wasn't for Nexus I never would have gotten into text games, as I wasn't computer savvy enough to understand how to configure a client (and having not played one, it seemed like a lot of work). They've greatly improved on it since I started playing on it twelve years ago, but even if they didn't I'd still feel a real sense of brand loyalty considering without it I likely would have missed out on this whole world of gaming.
  • I might try the Nexus client but it tends to run slow on my tablet and laptop; Mudlet is likely to be my go-to because I know how to make aliases in it already.
  • edited August 2018
    Garrick said:
    Nexus without question. If it wasn't for Nexus I never would have gotten into text games, as I wasn't computer savvy enough to understand how to configure a client (and having not played one, it seemed like a lot of work). They've greatly improved on it since I started playing on it twelve years ago, but even if they didn't I'd still feel a real sense of brand loyalty considering without it I likely would have missed out on this whole world of gaming.
    I can understand how you feel. Clients are usually a simply download, though, and then you just need the website address and port number. I haven't used others much, but Mudlet already comes preloaded with all of IRE's game websites and port numbers. I'm not trying to convince you to switch; just adding to your information. Nexus is what I'll most likely use.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I'm gonna play for the most part on my phone.
    Millenial confirmed! Lol
    I may play on my computer and use the nexus if it's too difficult but always being on the go, mobile is definitely my first choice, even if it is tough!