Skip to content

To Catch a Criminal (OOC)

Hello, everyone, I have come up with something that I hope you will like and want to take part in.

I've come up with a story - fairly short, I think - for a campaign. Now, I've never GM’d before, or even participated in tabletop roleplay, so if anyone wants to take the reins and be the GM, or just work alongside me, feel free to PM me. The story is pretty simple, though, and focusing on RP rather than rules, so it will not be difficult. Basically I'm taking the RP forums idea and adding a simple plot to it. See rules below. The story is also adaptable, if the players go a different direction than expected.

The premise of this story is that there is a criminal to catch. The chase will include moving to a few different locations. The cast is as follows:

For 4-6 players

1. The leader, a W’hoorn detective, also in the military

2. A starship pilot

3. A hacker

4. Muscle

Optional:

*Medic

*Diplomat

*Mechanic

*Scientist (Biologist, Anthropologist…)

*your choice

- You can choose the gender, name, and (except for the W'hoorn) race of your character. And, of course, their personality and motivations will be fashioned by you.

- Your character CAN die - but will of course resurrect in a cloning facility. So they will be out of the story, but not forever dead, so no worries if you're using your most favorite character.

- The GM handles ALL events and NPCs. You control only your character’s actions (and any pets/personal NPCs that belong to your character). And as was stated in the other list of rules, you may only state that you try to hit someone in the head, you don't get to say if the blow connects or not.

- The actions are decided not by dice rolls, but by whatever makes sense or makes a good story.

- When you are taking a turn, sign off with your name, and the name of the person that you think should logically come next, like this: Joe > Bob or Joe > Captain Thel (NPC). If another player thinks that they urgently need to react to the situation, they may steal, signing as follows: Joe > (Bob) > Captain Thel, Bob being the person who stole. Play fair, and don't hog the limelight.

- Respond within 2 days or someone else will take over your character. Exceptions can be made if you PM the group a heads up that you will be away for a bit. 

- You may also be booted at the group's discretion if you don't play nicely. For example - not following the storyline, going against the other players or the GM, or otherwise being dumb or a jerk.

Please comment below if you're interested in playing, and comment or PM if you want to help me behind the scenes. 

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I'd be interested in playing! My preference would be the hacker character.
  • edited April 2018
    I'm interested as well! I am, however, a beginner. I've played all of one D&D scenario online with some friends...I may be out of my depth.
    If I play, I'd like to try the Muscle character.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Well, as I said, I haven't done it before either. That's why I'm making it be simple. All you need is to be a decent RP-er, such as we've had on the forums already. Newcomers welcome!
  • edited April 2018
    I'd be interested to give this a try as well. Haven't played dnd in forever but what the hell. Would have picked the muscle but got beaten to it, so I'll go with the mechanic.

EDIT: Whoops, got things mixed up. Thought the mechanic was a mandatory character. I'll take the pilot instead.
  • We only need one more person, and then we can get started. :)
  • Also, I should say that my character will be a male Krona. Name's Djay-Rom (I have zero inspiration, sue me).
  • @Traveler This is awesome, I’m in! Does one of us play the W’hoorn? If so I could take that role. If not, I’ll be a medic!
  • Yessss! No one has taken the W'hoorn, and that fills the four main roles, so we can begin! 

(If anyone else wants to jump in, you still can, or if it is too late, perhaps you can help with the NPCs. :) Just ask. )
  • @Traveler
    Do we have to choose from the PC races or are you okay with NPC races (within reason)?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • I've just had a thought. Is anyone interested in actually... playing the villain? I have certain plot points in mind, but it's totally flexible. Of course, I mean someone besides those already playing.
  • For anyone reading, one of our group is on an extended trip. We're discussing how to handle it. Posts should resume sometime soon in the main RP thread: To Catch a Criminal. :)
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Synsia said:
    Readin' for funsies and have to say I'm appreciating Byflugur's sass. Don't let no one call you cupcake!

Haha, thanks for the feedback. I've had a lot of fun with the experience. We've got a great group.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • @Traveler @Jerom @Malash
    Surprise! Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment but I think it’s worth trying to nose-dive this sucker to the finish line...

@Qitorien you’re up!