Skip to content

Question on how will space flight work for blind players

Hello, I just signed up for these forums,
I was wondering how will space flight work for blind players. This means people who play with a screen reader how will they be able to see the   space map and such sense it is in asky characters will they be a screenreader mode, in place to filter out these kind of characters or would we    have to apply a filter in our clients our selvs to filter them out so we can get to the needed information that we need like stuff for space combat and sector scans and such. I being a blind player myself would love to know  and I have played some of the Ironrelms games in the past. I lookforward to the beta when that will be and I hope soon.
Thanks
Kevin Roberts

Comments

• Hello, I just signed up for these forums,
    I was wondering how will space flight work for blind players. This means people who play with a screen reader how will they be able to see the   space map and such sense it is in asky characters will they be a screenreader mode, in place to filter out these kind of characters or would we    have to apply a filter in our clients our selvs to filter them out so we can get to the needed information that we need like stuff for space combat and sector scans and such. I being a blind player myself would love to know  and I have played some of the Ironrelms games in the past. I lookforward to the beta when that will be and I hope soon.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
    Hello, Kevin! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to say welcome to the community! :)
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Yeah, you'll be able to just filter out the ascii stuff. It's definitely going to be harder to be a blind player in space though. No getting around that insofar as spacial representation is better done graphically vs. text. 

Everybody can execute a command that'll show them all entities (planets, ships, etc) in space, what rough direction and roughly how many rooms they are away, and their exact coordinates as well. It's thus definitely possible for a blind person to fly around in space, but as a sighted person it's unclear to me how much more difficult that will be. We have blind ship captains in Achaea, but Achaea's ships move a lot more slowly.
  • Hello,
    ok here is another question then I have played other space muds before and what I have found is theirs a command to where you can get the numbered coords of a object, such as a planit or space station. Does starmorn have something like that for navigation cause we as blind players, can kind of figgure how far a object is  by the coords of it and figgure how far away it is from your ship.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
  • Hello,
    ok here is another question then I have played other space muds before and what I have found is theirs a command to where you can get the numbered coords of a object, such as a planit or space station. Does starmorn have something like that for navigation cause we as blind players, can kind of figgure how far a object is  by the coords of it and figgure how far away it is from your ship.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
    Hi Kevin,

Yep, there's a command ship captains can enter to see what's in their current zone, with X/Y Coords, direction, and distance. You can then attempt to fly there manually or you can enter a command to have the system plot a course and fly there, avoiding planets and the like.
  • Hello, that is great news I know their won't be a soundpack on release for blind players but I do have to ask if you know when is the pre launch beta stage before full launch anyways? I hope its going to be sometime this summer I hope. I will be sure to give lots of feedback as far as how stuff works for blind players during that beta stage. I will keep a ear out for more stuff to come.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
  • As soon as possible! We're working hard each and every day to get it open!
  • Hello,
    well good thing am already subscribed to the newsletter so will see when beta sign-ups will be opened
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts