Skip to content

Children

So, I've been wandering around and reading what's been said so far, and happened to notice the discussion in Q+A Madness regarding family and bloodlines, some of the issues involved, and that system not being in yet (at least at that time). Had some thoughts regarding it, and they basically center around two things: cloning and paperwork.

Seems to me that if the Atarsids had a genetic record of everyone in the sector, they'd certainly maintain records regarding bloodlines, and would most likely be universally recognized as the authority on them. For a relatively small fee, they could provide documentation of a blood relation between individuals, which could be necessary for any number of clerical needs (such as proving claim to the throne of Gzwerkzy 5, or child support). But it could go far beyond that: with their pro-clone stance, they could provide (again, for a small fee) couples lacking in either ability or desire to reproduce naturally the option of a child grown from their combined genetic profiles, with a bit of randomization thrown in for flavor. They could even, in the case of interracial couples, provide from their library of samples traits mapped to one parent, in a child of the other's race: for example, a blond-haired, blue eyed human and a red-feathered, red-eyed Nusriza could obtain from the Atarsids a human child with red hair and eyes, or a Nusrizan child with blond feathers and blue eyes, or even a Krona child with blue eyes and red hair. Genetic traits could be preserved through family, even if race and direct blood ties are not.

Again, just my two cents on the matter, but it seems to me that something like this would eliminate or at least reduce some immersion-breaking issues that have cropped up elsewhere; when parents who for whatever reason CANNOT produce the child that is being presented, we can't just say a wizard did it here: we CAN say SCIENCE did it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I think this idea is brilliant. It deftly avoids some of the bigger immersion-breaking problems with lineages that seem bizarre, like offspring of different races. Since the game already seems to have certain customization options like specific hair colors locked, this solution makes good use of the systems already in place. 
  • I'm not really following here. What or who is the offspring? Is it an NPC in your view, or another player? 
  • edited March 2018
    Aurelius said:
    I'm not really following here. What or who is the offspring? Is it an NPC in your view, or another player? 
    Was meaning it in reference to players. If the other IRE games I've played are any indication, there's going to be no shortage of players wanting other players as their parents/children/siblings/etc, whether it makes logical sense or not.
  • As I understand it, another player. Basically it's an explanation for a Krona PC and a Shen PC registering a human PC as their child. It provides an in-lore explanation for why that's an entirely possible situation. 
  • Malash said:
    Aurelius said:
    I'm not really following here. What or who is the offspring? Is it an NPC in your view, or another player? 
    Was meaning it in reference to players. If the other IRE games I've played are any indication, there's going to be no shortage of players wanting other players as their parents/children/siblings/etc, whether it makes logical sense or not.
    For sure. The passing on of characteristics just won't work with players, as those get chosen at creation time.
  • Ah, that's a shame. Oh well, could always just RP it as 'we thought that eye color would look cool, so we paid genetweakers to make it happen' or something along those lines.
  • Malash said:
    Ah, that's a shame. Oh well, could always just RP it as 'we thought that eye color would look cool, so we paid genetweakers to make it happen' or something along those lines.
    And if the parents don't like it, well then you clearly had it changed afterwards.
  • Well, plus, the nature of genetics dictates that just because you have blue eyes doesn't mean either of your parents had them.