Skip to content

P2W/P2P

Like Achaea, will there be options to purchase an advantage using real money? 
Because PVP isn't fun if your opponent paid $$$ and has all the good stuff.

Comments

• As mentioned in the recent interview, there will be options to purchase credits to help advance your skills and some general purpose artefacts will be available at launch. We're not going to release any major combat-influencing artefacts at launch.
  • Additionally, one of my goals is to reward skill more than artefact level, so if you're a better combatant, you'll generally beat a lesser-skilled opponent who may have supported the game through purchasing credits.

This won't always be the case, naturally, especially in the case of ability unlocks in skills, you're not going to beat someone with your basic bottom-tier attack ability if they have all of their skills unlocked and the full toolkit at their disposal.
  • Tons of arties in Achaea don't feel like they gave such an incomparable advantage against better skilled opponents.  I will agree that when both combatants are highly skilled the arties provide a much larger margin of error, unless that particular player was also very low level in which case they just get munched by damage.

It's worth noting for those not familiar with IRE or Achaea, credits can be purchased with in game currency.  So it's more like P2W-Faster than true P2W.  Some will argue that the in game currency cost is so high that it's not feasible, but know that the in game currency cost is fluid and driven by players in the form of an open credit market.  Learn to make mad cash in game and you'll be artied out in no time. :D
  • IRE in general balances the difference between p2p and p2w quite evenly, I know in lusternia and Midkemia I was able to defeat people who had lots of artifacts because I always came in with a strategy and understood the combat system and also you can buy credits through in game currency and events that your organization runs so it's a lot more inviting for all players 
  • I'm fine with not getting combat artifacts right off the bat(Or possibly ever), personally. While I enjoy combat in IRE games, I always felt... Practically obligated to buy combat oriented artifacts before I got the ones I actually wanted, which tended to be utility or the like. You know, a custom pet, and various other customization stuff for looking fancy, the cameo of the changling, and stuff to get all the racial emotes, and just other stuff that is fun, but doesn't really have a combat application.

The things like that are why I'm a bit disappointed that we, from my understanding, can't make use of retirement credits right at launch. I would gladly spend my retirement credits on a cusom cyborgpuppy, and all sorts of more RP-oriented artifacts.
  • kay said:
    I'm fine with not getting combat artifacts right off the bat(Or possibly ever), personally. While I enjoy combat in IRE games, I always felt... Practically obligated to buy combat oriented artifacts before I got the ones I actually wanted, which tended to be utility or the like. You know, a custom pet, and various other customization stuff for looking fancy, the cameo of the changling, and stuff to get all the racial emotes, and just other stuff that is fun, but doesn't really have a combat application.

The things like that are why I'm a bit disappointed that we, from my understanding, can't make use of retirement credits right at launch. I would gladly spend my retirement credits on a cusom cyborgpuppy, and all sorts of more RP-oriented artifacts.
    Just remember you have a city full of people always ready to have your back if something happens. I know if you're in celestine ascendecy and you come under attack i'll come help !

• edited March 2018
    kay said:
    I'm fine with not getting combat artifacts right off the bat(Or possibly ever), personally. While I enjoy combat in IRE games, I always felt... Practically obligated to buy combat oriented artifacts before I got the ones I actually wanted, which tended to be utility or the like. You know, a custom pet, and various other customization stuff for looking fancy, the cameo of the changling, and stuff to get all the racial emotes, and just other stuff that is fun, but doesn't really have a combat application.

I 100% agree with both of your points.  Buying weapon artefacts in previous IRE games for combat felt (to me, damn my OCD) like a requirement because you would want to hit the speed cap, or open up another, albeit subtle, line of victory.

It would be WAY cooler if the combat arties added something unique.  Maybe 3-5 different artefacts that add a skill you could only get with that artie, and you could only use one at a time (add a cooldown to prevent abuse).  Up the price a little bit, so instead of 350/800/1600cr just make them all 1000cr.  I don't want IRE to lose out, but I have a feeling giving creative options for players to choose from would net even more credits than a 5/10/15% bump like it has been historically.  The way they were structured reminded me of the original veil, you got one so other's couldn't see you, but all that meant is that other people had to buy one to be able to see you.  Just becomes a game of who's willing to match and not.

I can -somewhat- understand the leadership points on holding off on retirement credits.  I think we're going to have a slew of fresh mud-blood (teehee) and if they're coming in to the game where a bunch of people have every artie they can imagine it could come off as intimidating.  This is a silly reason IMO because lots of arties doesn't make me a jerk.  This is all speculation from me anyway, maybe it's a technical limitation or effort oriented.
  • Archer said:

I can -somewhat- understand the leadership points on holding off on retirement credits.  I think we're going to have a slew of fresh mud-blood (teehee) and if they're coming in to the game where a bunch of people have every artie they can imagine it could come off as intimidating.  This is a silly reason IMO because lots of arties doesn't make me a jerk.  This is all speculation from me anyway, maybe it's a technical limitation or effort oriented.
    I can't really agree with this statement, at least. Mostly because I'm probably going to spend money on Starmourn at launch. I'm probably going to spend a lot of money on Starmourn at launch. So I'm still going to end up having more artifacts and such than your standard new player. All that allowing me my retirement credits would be is a matter of degrees. I'd have more with them than I would without. But it doesn't mean that without I'd be completely artifact-less.
  • Well, even if you max out all your skills  (artifacts aren't combat base at the launch) you won't be that much better because you still have to learn the la of the land so to speak