Skip to content

To Alt or Not to Alt. That is the Question.

edited January 2018 in The Commsphere
How many characters are you thinking about playing in Starmourn
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• Basically the one thing I know for certain is I don't wanna change classes a hundred times again. ;)
  • I chose 4-5, but when it comes down to it, I rarely do much beyond the basics on more than one or two characters. It’s too much work if nothing else..
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I have a couple in Achaea, and that is the reason I am limiting myself to one, ultimately, in Starmourn. Already got my plate full. However, I'm undecided about a few details of my starting character, particularly the civilizations, so I'm rolling three characters to start and will stick with the one I like best.
  • edited January 2018
    I plan on rolling an creating 2 or 3 accounts to see how some classes work. Also it'll be hard to role out 4 or more alts since having more than one in a org is not really a good idea.
  • Rolsand said:
    I plan on rolling an creating 2 or 3 accounts to see how some classes work. Also it'll be hard to role out 4 or more alts since having more than one in a org is not really a good idea.
    Fair enough. I've only seen it done well a couple of times in over a decade. That being said, mine will be throwaways, I'm sure. Not gonna be all gung ho introducing myself only to disappear repeatedly. ;)
  • I'm gonna have a hard enough time playing this and Achaea.
    Aint nobody got time for an alt.
  • There's one character concept that jumps out cleary to me above all the others. I'll just go with a Scatterhome Human Fury. The only reason I'd switch out of the character would be if mechanically I hate the Fury playstyle (which would make me quite sad). 
  • Squeakums said:
    There's one character concept that jumps out cleary to me above all the others. I'll just go with a Scatterhome Human Fury. The only reason I'd switch out of the character would be if mechanically I hate the Fury playstyle (which would make me quite sad). 
    FWIW, our goal with Fury, mechanically, was to make it the most challenging class to play. It's not more powerful than other classes, but, like with a game like Overwatch, we hope it's a little more satisfying to play than the simpler classes, even if it's not 'better'. 

Only you guys will be able to tell us if we got partway or all the way to that goal on this first iteration though!
  • I wouldn't be able to keep characters separate, so one is more than enough for me. In addition, I find the evolution of a character, whether it goes as planned or not, as the entire purpose of playing a multiplayer RPG. Otherwise, it's a glorified chatroom.
  • I'll sometimes alt just to try out different things or see what other orgs are like, but eventually, they all just die off cause it's time I could be spending on my main.

Also, would reiterate that having more than one character in an org is a bad idea. Some people really aren't as good at keeping things separate as they think.

• In IRE especially, I tend to burn through at least 10-20 very short-lived characters before one just... lasts somehow. From then on, I have just the one.
  • I'm the opposite, I invest in one and then it can be painful feeling like you're starting over fresh. (Possibly why I also really like FFXIV)

Multiclassing also encourages it (I know we won't have it at launch) cause I can pick up the classes that I'm interested in without starting over.
  • Depending on the game, I average 2 characters once I know what the hell I am doing. 

Some games, I only end up doing 1, and some I've done 3+ but 2 seems to be just about right. One is usually a good guy and one is a bad guy.
  • If I can't multiclass into everything I want, I end up spending a day researching all the skills to death, and how they combine with racial skills, general skills, mini skills. Then I built a favorite-to-least-favorite list. Then I spend a couple hours grumping to close friends about how I wish I could have  them all. Then I roll the class I ended up picking that had the least overlap of skills with other skills + looked cool and fun and was my favorite thematically. Then I plot how I'll multiclass and what classes I'd pick next based off of character motivations and interests and skills and overlap.

It's really... really.. fun? :P
  • edited February 2018
    One, Ive never gone die hard for a single character before so since i'll be able to start with the game i want my character to evolve with the game for once.
  • I've always wanted to play more characters on IRE games because I love variety but the investment is too much. I'd like to dabble on various classes initially and then settle on a single character for the rest of my Starmourn experience. On other games, I always play everything because I can't settle for long on just one, but IRE games I can enjoy a single character despite my desire to play others.
  • With the way credits and seconds work (see https://www.achaea.com/game-help/?what=second-characters-also-known-as-alts) I'll review every class and all of their skills first and just stick with one.
  • Archer said:
    With the way credits and seconds work (see https://www.achaea.com/game-help/?what=second-characters-also-known-as-alts) I'll review every class and all of their skills first and just stick with one. Until multiclassing comes out.
    Hey, @Archer, I fixed your post for you.
  • Oh multiclassing, if done well, is like one thing that really gets me. (I'm pretty close to having every skill that the classes in my org will let me get)
  • I'll test classes out with the no brainer lesson packages, assuming starmourn follows the  same pricing scheme as the other ire games. One thing I've found is not to trust first impressions, classes need time. Although I imagine they will also change a lot in the first few months.

And ditto on multiclassing. I've too many unused classes on my main char in Aetolia. I just can't help myself - I collect them and then only use 1-2.
  • It's official. Admins should just post the entire skill list for every class. Yep. Sorry guys, has to be done. *crosses fingers and hopes*