Skip to content

What other MUDS have you played?

Comments

• Bandus said:
    TextWench said:
    I started playing a MUD-type game in the early 90s via local BBS. I have no idea what iit was called, but it was a space MUD with planet/resource development and space combat. 

Trade Wars, perhaps?
    Entirely possible. That sounds familiar. At the best of times, my memory most resembles a spastic butterfly. 

• My first MUD was AvalonRPG maybe 15 years ago, that lead to Achaea and IRE. I've played all the IRE games but became the most heavily invested, both with resources and attention, in MKO. I tried a few other MUDs, Armageddon and a WoT Mud where I played a Gleeman who couldn't sing. All the other suck though, in my opinion, like others I've become spoiled by the layout and cleanness of IRE's MUDs
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• First MUD was Gemstone III in the late 90's. Then, a start up MUD called (I think) Talanor: The Lands of Light and Darkness, which now that I think of it had similarities to both GS3 and an IRE game. Followed by all the other Simutronics games. A few other MUDs sprinkled in. Eventually, I found Achaea somewhere around 2005, then Imperian, then up the chain until MKO. Since MKO's closing I've been passing time in GS4 and popping into Lusternia for a bit until Starmourn's release.
  • I always thought MKO sounded interesting but having never read the books I never gave it a try.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Pretty much only Achaea. I have tried out others for a few days each (Aardwolf, Aetolia, Gemstone), but never got into them like I did Achaea.
  • Lusternia and Armageddon mostly. I prefer heavy RP wherever possible but I like a more rigid system than mushes usually provide. I come from MMO's but decided to try my hand at where the whole genre came from and found it very enjoyable for what I tend to enjoy most in these multiplayer interactions. Let's see if Starmourne can replace the EVE shaped hole in my life?
  • I've played pretty much IRE muds, with Achaea and MKO being the ones I was most involved with. 
  • Lusternia
  • edited September 2017
    I've probably tried all of the IRE MUDs, with varying degrees of success. Midkemia was the only one I stuck at. I think I lasted about twenty minutes in Achaea, it just seemed a bit too intense. Due to it being as old as it is there always seemed to be way too much going on for a player who is relatively new to MUDs to grasp it. Didn't fancy becoming a text-lawyer simply for the purposes of PvPing either.
  • My first MUD was a LP or Diku. I would go with a friend of mine from NoVa up to Univ of Maryland's computer center which had the best computers around at the time (late 89 early 90). My friend Dane was a really good with computers and was a God in this Mud. It was a lot of fun playing then and was nice when you hit death traps that your friend could get all your stuff back for you (heh).

After that I eventually went to Realms of Despair (which doesn't seem to be the same place anymore the map is completely different and you cannot triclass)

I stopped for a while then in late 2004 or 2005 started playing Lusternia which was a whole new world to me. Cures/herbs/applications/balances I was like OMG this is insane and great. It felt like a veil was lifted off the whole Mud experience to me and I stuck around. Poked around Imperian a while but always went back to Lusternia

I really would like to thank Matt and all the others at IRE who helped make all their games. They thought outside the box of the typical Smaug/CircleLP's/Diku's etc and created something that made Mud's much more engaging!
  • I've personally gone down quite a list of MUDs over the past 17 years since I first found TopMudSites.com from Ask Jeeves and chose one of the top 3 based on the little icon it had next to the name (which was Threshold RPG at the time). That was my go-to through my teens, but I loved the genre so much I branched out often. After giving such high-ranking names like Armageddon, Gemstone, and New Worlds a try, I found myself, as a player, gravitating towards the Iron Realms flag.

IRE-wise Achaea has been my consistent home base, despite trying the others, but then I adored Midkemia when it was in full swing. 

I have been eagerly awaiting a space opera RP MUD like Starmourn for a decade, and though I've tried a few others in the sci-fi category, nothing came close to the sensation I got when playing Achaea. I can imagine that those of us who cut our teeth on LP and Diku codebases for roleplaying were blown away by the Rapture engine for IRE (I know my jaw dropped), so I can't wait to see an even more modern take with Starmourn.
  • edited September 2017
    I've been playing text games since the late 90s; mostly MUSHes, actually. MKO was my last MUD/text game.
  • Only played Lusternia so far.
  • Played all the IRE muds but only one that held my interest was MKO . 

• TextWench said:
    I started playing a MUD-type game in the early 90s via local BBS. I have no idea what iit was called, but it was a space MUD with planet/resource development and space combat. The first game I remember the -name- of was Materia Magica. From there to Threshold Wandered in Imperian during the Harker heyday but it didn't stick. Came back a year or so later and it stuck. I've tried every IRE game, spent more time in Aetolia than any of the others. Played Lithmeria and wish the producer didn't drive that into a ditch. Played Sindome briefly. Love the concept but it takes entirely too much effort to get established for an adult with a family, a full-time job, and volunteer work to make it what I want out of it. 

I've dabbled in a bunch of other MUD/MUSH/MUX games in an effort to recapture the RP I miss from the early days of playing Imperian, but so far haven't found a home. 

Sci-fi is DEFINITELY my jam and I asked for one in the very first town hall Avasyu/Jeremy held in Imperian I attended. I've been waiting a decade for this game.

I am excite. 

Especially since so much effort is being made towards developing the lore. 
    TEOS or Trade Wars or Outpost <some number, I think it was>? Those were very common space BBS games. I looooved TEOS (The Exploration of Outer Space).

There was also LORD (Legend of the Red Dragon) that was pretty good for fantasy. I miss the BBS days before and after school.
  • Draos said:
    TextWench said:
    I started playing a MUD-type game in the early 90s via local BBS. I have no idea what iit was called, but it was a space MUD with planet/resource development and space combat. The first game I remember the -name- of was Materia Magica. From there to Threshold Wandered in Imperian during the Harker heyday but it didn't stick. Came back a year or so later and it stuck. I've tried every IRE game, spent more time in Aetolia than any of the others. Played Lithmeria and wish the producer didn't drive that into a ditch. Played Sindome briefly. Love the concept but it takes entirely too much effort to get established for an adult with a family, a full-time job, and volunteer work to make it what I want out of it. 

I've dabbled in a bunch of other MUD/MUSH/MUX games in an effort to recapture the RP I miss from the early days of playing Imperian, but so far haven't found a home. 

Sci-fi is DEFINITELY my jam and I asked for one in the very first town hall Avasyu/Jeremy held in Imperian I attended. I've been waiting a decade for this game.

I am excite. 

TEOS or Trade Wars or Outpost <some number, I think it was>? Those were very common space BBS games. I looooved TEOS (The Exploration of Outer Space).

There was also LORD (Legend of the Red Dragon) that was pretty good for fantasy. I miss the BBS days before and after school.
    LORD had a sequel... also overkill and mutants for bbs. We are dating ourselves, lol.

Any AOL'ers from back in the day? Legends of Tetris and Darkness Falls? The latter is what spawned my aeto obsession.

Had the KING black dragon in 6dragons before they went down.
  • edited September 2017
    TNA said:

LORD had a sequel... also overkill and mutants for bbs. We are dating ourselves, lol.

Any AOL'ers from back in the day? Legends of Tetris and Darkness Falls? The latter is what spawned my aeto obsession.

Haha, yes we are.

And I was more into the chat room/script kiddie scene. I completely forget what they were called, but I think it was "progs". They were used to knock people offline, spam rooms/chats, and other nefarious things. Man, those were the days.
  • Oh man, I forgot about progs and punters, etc. LOL.
  • TNA said:
    Oh man, I forgot about progs and punters, etc. LOL.

:hi5:
  • for me, Federation was one of my first I ever played, and I miss it. Then there was Gemstone, Dragon's Gate then a Dragonlance mud where I was a builder, and played the god Hiddukel. Then there was Core mud and all the IRE muds.
  • TNA said:
    Draos said:
    TextWench said:

I am excite. 

Haha, yes we are.

And I was more into the chat room/script kiddie scene with AOL. I completely forget what they were called, but making and using those apps that exploited AOL software to kick people, spam them, etc. Man, those were the days.
  • I played Avalon for over two years, it's somewhat similar to Achaea in its combat and player cities stuff, though I personally think it is better. But the experience was spoilt by loads of bugs and horrible staff. Achaea has more polish (less bugs), more events, more staff, more players and is basically the better game in most aspects. I've tried hundreds of other MUDs but the main few were Materia Magica, Discworld, BatMUD, Aardwolf and Geas. 
  • I've essentially tried all iron realm MUDs, and that aardwolf mud, but my favorite and first has always been Achaea. I was a deathknight, and impaling was my favorite thing to do lmao >:)
  • Started on Aetolia RPing a vampire was the only hold...until I found the heavy RP based farming of the planes of Lusternia. I played Midkemia once or twice but it reminded me of Imperian so I kinda fell out of it. Sci-fi wise the only one I could ever get a hold of was a Star Wars MUD that died out a couple of years ago.
    Still gotta say IRE is definitely top tier for MUD entertainment!
  • I started on Imperian in I think its first year. Never was much of one for alting, suicided and remade a main a few times before I found one to stick with. Got my toes wet in Aetolia and Achaea, but spent most of my time vivisexing in Imperian. No other MUD/MUSH experience, but play(ed) MMOs and single player RPGs and shooters. ArmA and DayZ and Rust and Dragon Age and Shadow of War, that kinda stuff.

I am so mixed with skepticism and excitement to see how this new pk, balance with no eq, and curing works out. Should be fun learning and trying all the shiny new toys on one another, gl hf.
  • Probably played Dragonrealms the most. Went back and it's not just grindy, it's really nothing but a grind. Everyone just bots and grinds up numbers and doesn't really play.

Also played Achaea quite a bit way way back before there were Houses. Tried returning a time or two more recently and the mix of IC/OOC and general culture was a little jarring. I don't think the culture was terribly different than I remember it, but I'd changed and I definitely didn't belong to any of the cliques anymore. The idea of coding up a system to play and dropping dollars to compete was a turn off as well.

Real excited about starting from scratch with everyone else in Starmourn. Love the worlds IRE creates (For the most part. The gods focus of Achaea wasn't my cup of tea but it was definitely well done) Sounds like the new curing system will make the coding part a lot easier on me as well. Glad IRE takes into consideration that people are going to automate gameplay and work around it.
  • ZilZil
    edited November 2017
    Achaea was my introduction to MUDs. Having always loved puzzling through text adventures like Zork with my sister, it blew my mind to discover I could play one online with strangers all at the same time. I was fifteen.

But my true MUD-love was MkO (RIP) and I'm still all cut up that it's gone. I'm hoping that Starmourn will serve to fill the void I've been nursing since the death of my primary creative outlet.
  • I for one am actually most worried about the role the 'admins' play, because they can add a lot to the world by *being* gods and such - which are a big focus in LUsternia-  so I can only hope the possession of normal mobs will be common, and other such 'events' to help add immersion and neat stuff.
  • Mostly Ateraan, although I did play Inquisition from time to time. I played Midkemia on and off before it closed down hence how I know IRE.
  • I've played a little bit of most the IRE games. But never very far on most of them. Lusternia I've played a lot of, though, and I've been playing a bit of Aetolia of late, just for something different.

For non-IRE games, few that are actual MUDs. I was one of the ones who played Lithmeria, and I've played some MUCKs or MUSHs. Not entirely sure on the difference there. But I've played ones based on tabletop games, where you create a character with stats and all, and after that it's more free-form, and you gain XP to level that character. Shadowrun: Denver, Shadows over Reno, and Dark Spires being the main ones of those.