Skip to content

Space Pirates

2»

Comments

• Archeage had a cool concept on piracy (the rest of the game was garbage and I highly recommend against playing it.) Players could spend money crafting tradepacks and carry them to far off points to trade for profit. Pirates, by ground or sea, could kill the traders and loot the packs off them, getting all the profit at none of the cost. Farther and more dangerous spots got you more money so the risk/reward balanced out. 

Something like that with cargo on ships being lootable could work easy for Starmourn. Trade between planets makes sense as a profitable venture. Piracy for profit gives a great reason for PK. It's even sort of opt-in to the PK system, as long as there's a way to tell a ship has cargo. If you don't want to take the risk of getting blown up (or at least minimize it) you just avoid hauling cargo in the first place.
  • I'd forgotten about that, but yes, very much yes.
    Your own items, etc. aren't lootable, but your "cargo" would be. The meaning was still there for the pirates as the cargoes could be quite valuable and the purpose was there for the trader to, well, trade.
    Work in something like Jumpgate had where the various sectors actually relied upon the players to move goods around or production ground to a halt and you've got an economy.
  • edited November 2017
    IRE does, historically, have a similar system. Imperian had caravans, I don't know if they still have the same system because I believed it changed, but when I played you could get a caravan from your city/friendly city and then travel to the various townes to gather raw materials and deliver them to your city. NPCs would attack you and other players could also steal the caravan from you and take the commodities to their city instead. The caravans moved slowly so it wasn't a quick process, there was normally a delay with some flavor text when attempting to move the caravan from one room to another.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• IRE does, historically, have a similar system. Imperian had caravans, I don't know if they still have the same system because I believed it changed, but when I played you could get a caravan from your city/friendly city and then travel to the various townes to gather raw materials and deliver them to your city. NPCs would attack you and other players could also steal the caravan from you and take the commodities to their city instead. The caravans moved slowly so it wasn't a quick process, there was normally a delay with some flavor text when attempting to move the caravan from one room to another.

MkO also had a caravan system of sorts, but it was quite different. It had to actively be moved room to room by a PCs. PvP would often happen along the route in many places, and the caravan could be moved in a different direction by opposing PCs. The system wasn't perfect, but it did spice up PvP some and move it into different locales.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Not specifically a pirate question, but not worthy of a thread either:

Will you get the name of the player who is piloting the ship who attacks you? Or just know the name of the ship? Relatedly, can ships be renamed easily?
  • Yeah, you'll definitely get the name of the player.

Haven't decided yet how easy it'll be to rename ships.
  • Satomi said:
    Should totally make the person look up the ship owner in the 'database'. If the person stole the ship, then it'd relay the real owner and make things all the juicier!!
    That would... actually be really neat. Would create a market for intelligence. "Paying to know who is current pilot of the Loljib"
  • Satomi said:
    Should totally make the person look up the ship owner in the 'database'. If the person stole the ship, then it'd relay the real owner and make things all the juicier!!
    You can't steal other peoples' ships!
  • Aurelius said:
    Satomi said:
    You can't steal other peoples' ships!
    No piracy?
  • Gasp! I still advocate for a database thing though. I know it just adds more steps, but it adds a bit more realism.

ie. Instead of looking out of your windows to see Joe's Ship, you look out, see a Ship, and identify it as Joe's Ship through the network.
  • "That looked an awful lot like Joe's ship before it exploded."