Skip to content

Why do mods have a MAX level?

Is there some technical reason? It would be nice if they only had a minimum as giving them a level range seems to make it so the trade terminal can't find find mods at a desired level.

Comments

• Because mods have been mostly ignored for the last two years and no one knows much about why they are how they are, other than that they could be better.

Trade terminal searching could use help also.
  • Indi said:
    Because mods have been mostly ignored for the last two years and no one knows much about why they are how they are, other than that they could be better.

Trade terminal searching could use help also.

To the first: No.

To the second: Trade terminals being able to search mods by level range would be great!

To bugbo: They have a maximum level because the lower-level mods are 'better', so as to give them worth; the lowest level of mod can go up to like +20 or something, while the highest level of mod can only go up to +10. This is because that number is literally a percent; a level 75 weapon doesn't need a 20% boost to its damage, but a level 25 weapon can without imbalancing the game.
  • edited March 2021
    Nykara said:
    To bugbo: They have a maximum level because the lower-level mods are 'better', so as to give them worth; the lowest level of mod can go up to like +20 or something, while the highest level of mod can only go up to +10. This is because that number is literally a percent; a level 75 weapon doesn't need a 20% boost to its damage, but a level 25 weapon can without imbalancing the game.
    Thanks for that explanation. Just the other day I got my second ever mod drop and now I'm trying to decide whether or not to invest the points to reverse engineer it.
  • I would think they have a max level because in IC terms I would think it would take a lot more power to add to whatever stat on a L75 item than a L10 one. Therefore mods have the same ranges as weapons and armor.

E.g. (please correct me if I'm wrong, people who minmax much better than me ha!) In very simplified hypothetical terms:

A L1-10 kithblade might do 80 thermal damage per burn. With a +10 thermal mod it will do 88 damage.

But a L75+ kithblade might do 800 damage per burn, which would turn into 880 damage, to the mod is doing 10 x more than the low level one.

It also means that lower level players can pick up mods relatively cheaply - or everyone would charge 20k per mod for everyone. Which would suck.