Skip to content

Engineer healing/support turret barrel

During the recent Monthly Discussion (the subject of which was Classes), one of the topics was support and healing. Although we could wait a while for a new class to fill the healer/support role (assuming something like that does, in fact, materialize), I decided to think about what could be done in the meantime to get some healing/support into the game. It seems a lot of people are drawn to engineer for its support capabilities, so that's where I looked first.

I'll keep the idea brief. I propose that the engineer turret barrel REPAIRARM be reworked to become a healing/support turret barrel. The way this would work is pretty simple: TURRET FOCUS would allow the engineer to spend 3s of balance to get the turret to target an ally, and then the turret would proceed to do its thing on its own. Here's some more notes about it:
  • A support barrel makes good use of several mods,
  • subversion during combat may be a pvp consideration,
  • fortify and pantilt may both be useful with a support barrel, and
  • there's some potential for jerry rigging autotargeting without FOCUS by messing with the enemy list, so there may need to be some additional behaviors set for the barrel or turrets generally.
Healing health is the first thing that comes to mind for its effect. Perhaps it could be set to restore health or some particular subsystem.

If you've got an idea for how it may help an ally without healing, please fire away in the comments.

Comments

• Could have a barrel that when focused on yourself, or an ally projects a shield that blocks x damage every x seconds.
  • Soza said:
    Could have a barrel that when focused on yourself, or an ally projects a shield that blocks x damage every x seconds.

Shield projector barrel. Yeah, I like that -- better than healing.
  • Main reason I suggested shield vs healing is that
    1.) it can still have an effect at max hp.
    2.) its not a actual heal so separating the engineer from the bot should make the shield lost immediately which provides some counter-play for non engineers(as engineer matchup already has subvert).