Skip to content

Updates Post #311: Guard INRs

-- Updates - #311 --------------------------------------------------------------
Date:     12/29/2019 at 15:18
Author:   Ilyos, the Arbiter
Subject: Guard INRs.
Based on forum feedback, we now have a first iteration of guard INRs:
- Faction guards may now be fitted with an INR, allowing them to respawn every 2
hours
- This new upgrade is purchased just like any other upgrade via FACTION GUARD
UPGRADE and costs the same
- The INR upgrade has its own slot and will not lock you out from purchasing one
of the other regular upgrades
- The INR does not add to the guard's upkeep like other upgrades, but instead
costs the faction 5,000 marks per death. Failure to pay for this on death will
result in the guard's permadeath as usual
- FACTION GUARD INFO will display if a guard has an INR or not.
- Once bought, this upgrade is permanent.
- The guard will respawn in the room it is HIREd in or, in the room it is
STATIONed via the relevant commands.
- Guards respawn with their upgrades intact
- Don't be alarmed if their maintenance status shows up as 'bad' in FACTION
GUARD LIST while they're recloning.
We will monitor the costs, respawn times and other related mechanics based on
your feedback.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Posting here for comments since autoposter doesn't tag updates posts.

First of all, I like this mechanic and think it's a step in a good direction.

I would like some IC justification from @Ilyos or @Eukelade on the 25000 mark cost. My character/I have a lot of ongoing RP tied into the (exorbitant) cost of INRs. Is 25000 marks (the upgrade cost) supposed to be the canonical cost for INRs? Or is this some kind of modified HETE contract (since cloning costs 5k)?
  • While 25,000 marks really isn't cheap for your average Starmourn citizen, the INRs given out to factional guards by HETE are under a special contract unavailable to normal people. HETE realizes there is good business to be had by catering to factional governments and their military, as guards and soldiers are more likely to die than your average citizen.
  • Ilyos said:
    While 25,000 marks really isn't cheap for your average Starmourn citizen, the INRs given out to factional guards by HETE are under a special contract unavailable to normal people. HETE realizes there is good business to be had by catering to factional governments and their military, as guards and soldiers are more likely to die than your average citizen.
    How much does the average private INR go for? Or is that not common knowledge?
  • I'm not a dev (obviously) but I'm going to guess it's one of the questions they'd rather not answer, because it opens too many cans of worms regarding which NPC should or shouldn't be able to afford an INR, or if NPC INRs cost this many marks then why do player INRs cost that many.

A quest in the Dregs (CA's slums basically) involves one of the NPCs living there having an INR and it's not treated as something unusual. From that we can assume INRs are inexpensive enough that even slum residents and other people down on their luck can afford one, if probably a crappy model with low cloning priority and some unpleasant side effects (faster INR burnout or what have you).