Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q+A Madness - October 2017

2»

Comments

  • AkaiAkai Posts: 6Member
    Having played lusternia and been profoundly frustrated by communication limitations, how will comms range work for Starmourn?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 7Member
    Since this game is set in a universe where there is (or was) an Earth, real life history and the game lore are bound to mingle. This is unprecedented in IRE games which have thus far been fantasy settings. Since we are currently living what would be in game history have thought about policing what should and shouldn't be considered insanity/OOC, or as a role play encouraged game, will you delegate that decision to the community?
  • TectonTecton Posts: 254Administrator Starmourn staff
    Akai said:
    Having played lusternia and been profoundly frustrated by communication limitations, how will comms range work for Starmourn?
    No plans to limit communication at this point in time, while it conveys a sense of scale in theory, it is just immensely frustrating in reality
    SyajaArcherHarrow
  • TectonTecton Posts: 254Administrator Starmourn staff
    edited October 2017
    Andrew said:
    Since this game is set in a universe where there is (or was) an Earth, real life history and the game lore are bound to mingle. This is unprecedented in IRE games which have thus far been fantasy settings. Since we are currently living what would be in game history have thought about policing what should and shouldn't be considered insanity/OOC, or as a role play encouraged game, will you delegate that decision to the community?
    Earth disappeared 921 years before the game opens, and the only humans are descendants from the 900 humans that the Free fleet rescued from prison, there's not really going to be much, if any, relevant knowledge of RL current events. They didn't bring books, didn't archive the internet, and were generally the lowest common denominator of human society. As such, we'll generally view OOC chatter similar to our other games.
    AndrewHarrowReeloc
  • VillanoxVillanox Posts: 80Member ✭✭✭
    So, a bit open ended but what could we do with our nanite swarms as a Nanoseer? Trying to get a scope of how bad ass and flawless I will be at combat.
    Qitorien
  • AkaiAkai Posts: 6Member
    Of the remnants, I expect there may be some semblance of earth religion, if any of the 900 prisoners were religious or saw fit to maintain knowledge. How, if at all, will staff handle characters attempting to follow human religions?
    AndrewRiado
  • SatomiSatomi Posts: 72Member ✭✭✭
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    Akai said:
    Of the remnants, I expect there may be some semblance of earth religion, if any of the 900 prisoners were religious or saw fit to maintain knowledge. How, if at all, will staff handle characters attempting to follow human religions?
    http://wiki.starmourn.com/Terran_History_Project

    Not let them? If it doesn't fit the info left behind?

    Just speculating.
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Satomi said:
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
    It sounds as if they are addressing these issues. No curing systems required. Skills and afflictions work on both pc and npcs. So macros could simply replace scripting at the lowest tier. It's IRE gonna have to script to be a top dog, but mostly offensively it appears.

    They haven't outright said so, but they have said race will have no impact. So speculating, but I think races will work in the statpack manner. It sounds like jin get "deathsight" while whoorn get "hover", etc.
  • QitorienQitorien Posts: 190Member ✭✭✭
    TNA said:
    Satomi said:
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
    It sounds as if they are addressing these issues. No curing systems required. Skills and afflictions work on both pc and npcs. So macros could simply replace scripting at the lowest tier. It's IRE gonna have to script to be a top dog, but mostly offensively it appears.

    They haven't outright said so, but they have said race will have no impact. So speculating, but I think races will work in the statpack manner. It sounds like jin get "deathsight" while whoorn get "hover", etc.
    Hope this helps! http://forums.starmourn.com/discussion/comment/393#Comment_393
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
    TNA
  • TectonTecton Posts: 254Administrator Starmourn staff
    Villanox said:
    So, a bit open ended but what could we do with our nanite swarms as a Nanoseer? Trying to get a scope of how bad ass and flawless I will be at combat.
    Ranges from repairing/rebuilding a room prop that you're taking cover behind, through to attacking your target's wetwiring system, through to attacking their electronic weapons and devices.
    TNAVillanox
  • TectonTecton Posts: 254Administrator Starmourn staff
    Satomi said:
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
    We're coding things up to minimise the need for scripting as much as possible. Most of our skills are designed and timed in such a way that you're not trying to compute and type commands so fast that you need to script it.

    As someone mentioned above, no mechanical perks at launch for races, we will likely expand that depth some more post-launch.
    QitorienTNAZil
  • ZionZion Posts: 50Member ✭✭
    Will prosthetic limbs be allowed, RP-wise? Bionic arm or something. 
    TNA
  • RilkorRilkor Posts: 21Member
    Tecton said:
    Satomi said:
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
    We're coding things up to minimise the need for scripting as much as possible. Most of our skills are designed and timed in such a way that you're not trying to compute and type commands so fast that you need to script it.

    This is pretty nice to hear. How are afflictions cured? I assume it's some form of fancy new-age space medicine?
  • QitorienQitorien Posts: 190Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Rilkor said:
    Tecton said:
    Satomi said:
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
    We're coding things up to minimise the need for scripting as much as possible. Most of our skills are designed and timed in such a way that you're not trying to compute and type commands so fast that you need to script it.

    This is pretty nice to hear. How are afflictions cured? I assume it's some form of fancy new-age space medicine?
    The lore calls it wet wiring. They’ve written up some great backstory on it. If you have a few moments, you can read it here: http://www.starmourn.com/npc-races/
    the section you want is on the Bushraki.

    or a much shorter pithier blurb is http://wiki.starmourn.com/Wetwiring
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
    RilkorTNA
  • RilkorRilkor Posts: 21Member
    Qitorien said:
    Rilkor said:
    Tecton said:
    Satomi said:
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
    We're coding things up to minimise the need for scripting as much as possible. Most of our skills are designed and timed in such a way that you're not trying to compute and type commands so fast that you need to script it.

    This is pretty nice to hear. How are afflictions cured? I assume it's some form of fancy new-age space medicine?
    The lore calls it wet wiring. They’ve written up some great backstory on it. If you have a few moments, you can read it here: http://www.starmourn.com/npc-races/
    the section you want is on the Bushraki.

    or a much shorter pithier blurb is http://wiki.starmourn.com/Wetwiring
    Pretty cool stuff, thanks!
    QitorienTNA
  • ZionZion Posts: 50Member ✭✭
    My previous question that wasn't answered, "Will prosthetic limbs be allowed, RP-wise? Bionic arm or something."

    And some new ones -

    Will there be any way to trace ships that start to skip? Like a signature or the portal remaining open for a few seconds, so that you can chase after enemies that try to run from a battle? Will the skip drive allow players to run from battles in any capacity (maneuvering correctly and setting up so you don't blow yourself up or something), or will it be kind of like Achaean ships, where you can't enter without a certain amount of health?

    Will ships be able to follow friendly ships with something like a follow command? 

    How large will ships be? Will they be multiple rooms wide? How much customization will ships be allowed? Will we be able to hire an NPC ship or purchase a separate ship to follow us to hold extra stuff to even the weights of the ship and not get super slowed down (since gas and weight of the ship will matter)?

    How expensive will gas be, generally speaking? Will players be able to produce their own, maybe even sell it?

    Will players be able to upgrade their current ships (kinda like pimping out a car), or will there be no upgrades past buying newer, better ships? Will players be able to keep a fleet? Can we gift ships to one another?

    I doubt it'll be at launch, but has there ever been any plans to allow players to create their own ships from scratch? 

    Will there be a piloting Skill, or will everyone have the ability to use every part of the ship in every capacity from the jump, and the only thing that matters is your own personal ability? 
    TNA
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    @Zion There are some references to "shipsims" in the lore and wiki.

    http://wiki.starmourn.com/index.php?search=Shipsim&title=Special:Search&go=Go

    It sounds as if anyone with a shipsim can pilot any ship. Like one guy could pilot a capital ship or an assault fighter. So I assume an independent skill, like hacking.

    Just speculating, though.
    Zion
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    Qitorien said:
    Rilkor said:
    Tecton said:
    Satomi said:
    I have two questions (been working all day, so I hope it's okay that it's the 2nd now)

    Will combat devolve into 'I can code best, therefore I win' style of combat? (basically, is it going to be so fast that the only way to cope is by writing scripts)

    Will there be racial benefits/skills/perks that are mechanical?
    We're coding things up to minimise the need for scripting as much as possible. Most of our skills are designed and timed in such a way that you're not trying to compute and type commands so fast that you need to script it.

    This is pretty nice to hear. How are afflictions cured? I assume it's some form of fancy new-age space medicine?
    The lore calls it wet wiring. They’ve written up some great backstory on it. If you have a few moments, you can read it here: http://www.starmourn.com/npc-races/
    the section you want is on the Bushraki.

    or a much shorter pithier blurb is http://wiki.starmourn.com/Wetwiring

    Check out the defensive STAT Mindsim.

    http://wiki.starmourn.com/Character_Stats

  • DemarcusDemarcus Posts: 13Member
    Are there going to be space manatees? 
  • TectonTecton Posts: 254Administrator Starmourn staff
    edited October 2017
    Zion said:
    My previous question that wasn't answered, "Will prosthetic limbs be allowed, RP-wise? Bionic arm or something."

    And some new ones -

    Will there be any way to trace ships that start to skip? Like a signature or the portal remaining open for a few seconds, so that you can chase after enemies that try to run from a battle? Will the skip drive allow players to run from battles in any capacity (maneuvering correctly and setting up so you don't blow yourself up or something), or will it be kind of like Achaean ships, where you can't enter without a certain amount of health?

    Will ships be able to follow friendly ships with something like a follow command? 

    How large will ships be? Will they be multiple rooms wide? How much customization will ships be allowed? Will we be able to hire an NPC ship or purchase a separate ship to follow us to hold extra stuff to even the weights of the ship and not get super slowed down (since gas and weight of the ship will matter)?

    How expensive will gas be, generally speaking? Will players be able to produce their own, maybe even sell it?

    Will players be able to upgrade their current ships (kinda like pimping out a car), or will there be no upgrades past buying newer, better ships? Will players be able to keep a fleet? Can we gift ships to one another?

    I doubt it'll be at launch, but has there ever been any plans to allow players to create their own ships from scratch? 

    Will there be a piloting Skill, or will everyone have the ability to use every part of the ship in every capacity from the jump, and the only thing that matters is your own personal ability? 
    Will preface this that a lot of the ship systems are still in a fluid state, so answers here may or may be accurate at launch!

    Prosthetics: That's a thin line, I'm not 100% sure which side of the line we'll fall on there. 

    Tracing skipdrives: They won't be a get out of jail free card in combat, so no need to worry there.

    Ship following: Nothing in the game yet, and due to the way that different ships/ship mods will impact how ships handle/accelerate, I'm not sure it will be feasible it will be, maybe we'll put in a convoy system that reduces everyone to the lowest capacity of a ship in the convoy.

    Size on the map: Currently just a single tile.

    Hiring: Nothing decided here yet.

    "gas": Since spaceflight is a big part of the game, it won't be expensive at all to use.

    Upgrades: Yep, ships are modular and can be upgraded. Multiple ships, potentially.

    Ship creation: No plans.

    Skill: There will be a captaincy skill, yes. While it won't gate what you can do on your ship, it will unlock bigger/better ships and increased efficiency as you advance in it.

  • TectonTecton Posts: 254Administrator Starmourn staff
    Demarcus said:
    Are there going to be space manatees? 
    Nope, only space narwhals.
    bairlochQitorienDemarcusMalash
  • TectonTecton Posts: 254Administrator Starmourn staff
    And while I kept this open longer than intended, it was just a temporary thread to answer a flurry of questions at once! Thanks to everyone for your great questions, and if you have more, please feel free to open a new thread with your question in the Q+A section!
    AndrewCoenzyme
This discussion has been closed.