Skip to content

New player messages

edited December 2019 in Feedback
Currently faction logs show whenever a new character is created - "This and that has arrived at Dawning". Can we change or add to that so the logs instead show when the player finishes their newbie tutorial? Consider this:

I log in and see an unfamiliar name over on FWHO. I check HISTORY FT - no one greeted them, no surprise, CA is a very small faction and often has 0 players around, especially during off hours. I check faction logs: the player created their character some time ago alright, could be 2 hours ago, could be 8, or yesterday.

Now the thing is, is the player still taking their time with the tutorial and I should leave them be? Or are they currently trying to grasp the game and may need some guidance or, at the very least, an in-character greeting to keep them engaged? We can't tell right now. It'd be different if someone was around when the player finished the tutorial (assuming they finished it) but once again, that can often not be the case, what with the game being small and off hours being a thing.

Moreover, I'd like to ask for the tutorial to instruct the players to check FWHO and that they can talk to other faction people using FT - just something to say at the very end, after the wetwiring bit, where the player isn't being bombarded by any other information. It's very useful information that isn't currently told anywhere. In similar vein new players should be suggested to read FHELP files - maybe not the whole FHELP INDEX as that feels overwhelming, just direct them to FHELP WELCOME. That way even when players log in when there's no one around to guide them, they will be able to get at least some assistance.

Comments

• As someone who often contacts new players ASAP, I wonder the same things every time and wish both HISTORY FT and READLOG <FACTION> would more accurately reflect when the characters are done with the tutorial.
  • Currently, the logs (and announcement) only pop up after the player finishes the tutorial and is dumped at their factional station and told to reach level 5.
    But yeah, I'm all for including a few more tips about FT/FWHO/FHELP
  • Ilyos said:
    Currently, the logs (and announcement) only pop up after the player finishes the tutorial and is dumped at their factional station and told to reach level 5.
    But yeah, I'm all for including a few more tips about FT/FWHO/FHELP
    Are you sure about that? I created two test characters, one yesterday, the other just now - and on one hand yes, the FT announcement does appear when the player finishes their tutorial (but it doesn't appear in HISTORY FT so it's only for players who are also online when it happens), but on the other hand the log entry only refers to the time when the character was created and that's it. Finishing the tutorial doesn't make anything else appear in the logs - I literally just checked.
  • You are very right, @Cubey! Thanks for pointing that out, the log note will be moved to when a person finishes the tutorial.