Skip to content

Why don't you craft?

So a while ago I made a thread called the Tradeskill Economy explaining why I have not taken up a craft and what would have to change for me to do so. What I regret doing is not making a poll 'cause I think that could be a useful way to gauge how the rest of the playerbase feels.

So if you haven't used up both of your tradeskill slots, why not? Why does the tradeskill economy suck? Vote/explain below. Or comment more on my ideas in that previous thread.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
— Margaret Atwood

Comments

• I honestly don't know enough about any of the non clothing/food options and I've been lazy in  learning. I remember when modding came out there were a lot of complaints and I don't know how that's changed. But it's entirely on me that I've not taken something up. Just haven't prioritized that or bothered to see what it's about.

TLDR: I'm a lazy bum.

Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • I craft for myself primarily, so take my vote with a shaker of salt. I prefer focusing on one trade skill at a time as it keeps me from getting overloaded. Especially with the limited pool for active designs. I would like to have two design skills and one mod skill but it's not a massive issue for me.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • Credit cost and it has little/no practical usage in game.
    I am rare in that I do not care whatsoever about RP.
  • I don't craft because they severely limited how many designs you can have, and then had the gall to charge you if you wanted to store more.

Incidentally, this is also why I don't play Starmourn.
  • I've a transed out tradeskill actually but I don't make any custom designs for the same reason I don't do custom emotes - I'm garbage at words and descriptions. It's not laziness because the body is willing, but my linguistics center in the brain must have taken a rusty nail or some other solid implement to it some time in the past.
  • I love crafting - but I do think the credit and lesson costs are too high to the point where it makes a portion of the game almost impossible without spending IRL money. I realise you rely on that to pay your staff and stuff - I don't expect it to be completely free (and I'm happy to buy stuff when I can afford it), but to some people it probably means they just can't do it. Considering it's a mainly RP boosting aspect of the game it seems weird to me that the costs are so high. 

Thd crafting costs themselves are also pretty high - especially when they get rejected because of one absent '+' or a tiny typo that could be easily amended. Maybe it just needs a clearer rejection/amends criteria, e.g. more than 3 typos or minor errors and it gets rejected, but less gets amended and sent back for approval? Paying another 5k marks and having to redo it entirely for a tiny, easily rectified error seems kinda painful and offputting.

Those are my gripes - not meaning to be whiney - I love the crafting system in general! 
  • I love crafting, but without incredibly generous donations from other players, I would never have been able to. Donations they spent real life money on, because I absolutely can not do that at my current time if I wish to continue to have a place to live.

I wish it were more accessible to people, cause I want people designing and crafting and making nice things. I try and make my designs public though for people who don't want to design their own so they can still pick up some tasty food to make.

The artifact that makes submission free feels...very necessary for me, given how hard it is for me to notice my own minor mistakes. Also the limit of 50 active designs is...painful.
  • I would love to craft, but without spaceship stations as an option for furniture, I'm just not sure how to even log in :(
  • Because space stations aren't furniture, unless you're a Cleax.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.