I love what the Admin have done thus far in delivering a great platform to launch things from.
However, I believe that it is time to tie-in a lot of the great game mechanics into tangible goals and objectives on an ongoing basis.
What might help is a conflict system that ties in multiple things outside of outright attacking a cosmpiercer. It also likely helps with colonization in a certain sense.
Below is a vision
- Every interactable station/ planet in occupied territories (including faction planets) have a certain population
- Population needs several things to be sustained, else they will revolt
- The dimensions of their needs could be as follows
1) Materials - deliver certain number of materials (Commerce)
2) Entertainment - performances and casinos used in their surface (Culture)
3) Protection - from raiders and external threats (Military)
4) Hacking terminals for digital security (Intelligence)
- Each faction can interact with planets along these four axes. Some will have natural affinity towards the home faction, others more neutral
- Based on year-end scores, systems could generate aggregate taxes to fill up the coffers
This would tie-in all aspects of the holistically into a ever-shifting and changing balance of scales between the factions as opposed to being disjointed activity with no over-arching goal.