Skip to content

If you were a newbie again...

What would you focus on?

(Asking for a friend... that friend is me.)
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• When I was a newb I focused almost entirely on hunting with some occasional trips into space to gather materials to refine. Pretty much all of my RP was done over comms, rather than in person. Once I hit 75 I started working on hacking, casual exploration, more focused RP, things like that. I've got an alt now and I'm pretty much doing the same thing, except I really don't have any intention to put much (if any) effort into hacking/captaincy. That being said, this is all just my opinion and experience - if you prefer hacking/captaincy/RP then by all means, focus on that.
    I'm gone.
  • Bash to 75, think about the rest later. Perform every CD. That's about it.
  • Focusing on RP and IC activities that enhance that RP would be a decent way to go. That provides a decent feedback over time and if your story takes a different turn you can always hone yourself on other areas. No need to grind for something that you do not enjoy. 
  • Albion said:
    Bash to 75, think about the rest later. Perform every CD. That's about it.
    CD?
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • edited August 2019
    Zhulkarn said:
    Focusing on RP and IC activities that enhance that RP would be a decent way to go. That provides a decent feedback over time and if your story takes a different turn you can always hone yourself on other areas. No need to grind for something that you do not enjoy. 
    This. It takes a particular kind of personality to do the monotonous grind that Starmourn (or most MUDs for that matter) requires to reach level cap and NOT get burned out in the process. And those people are already going to grind so you don't have to tell them that.

What you should do is build your presence in game. Get involved in your faction's activities, get people to know who you are. Be recognizable - it opens an incredible number of opportunities to Do Stuff in the game. Should you ignore your level though? No - grind away, but do it only if and when you feel like it, not because there's nothing else to do ingame. If you have a presence ingame then you will rarely lack alternatives, something to do when you don't feel like mobbing for hours.
  • Exactly as I am doing, assuming I had all the same help still.

Get to level 20, get a trade, then sit my fat tree ass on an object and design weird cheesecakes and meringues.
  • - Bash a little to get comfortable with the game
    - Involve myself heavily into the RP of faction, or kickstart it again if I find it lacking
    I see this is what most people would do if they started over and it's what I'd do. (Yes, I used to play the game as well and I bashed to 75 before I involved myself too heavily in RP)
  • I’d grind for 75 in my “off” times. For example I have a bluetooth keypad, sit my laptop in the kitchen and while cooking, slowly move around clearing rooms. 

And in the “on” times when I can focus 100% I’d do whatever is fun. Maybe that way I wouldn’t have burned out and taken a few months off shortly after hitting 75
  • Burnout from max level grind is a true phenomenon that is present in all IRE MUDs. Take care of yourselves, nerds! :3
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Probably what I'm doing now. Run up the levels/marks when I'm not feeling social. Go be social when I'm feeling social.
  • Was going to say 'not be so contrarian' but uh... pretty sure that's just who i am.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.