Skip to content

Announcements post #65: July is Exploration and Xenozoology.

<pre>From: Ilyos, the Arbiter
Subject: July is Exploration and Xenozoology.

Greetings, Starmourners!

<<<This announcement is sponsored by RoamTek, your one-stop corporation for all exploration needs!>>>

Ahem...so this month's theme is, obviously, exploration! With Planetary Exploration looming on the horizon, we thought we'd team up with our friends at RoamTek and bring you a month full of adventuring wonder. This is going to be a long one, so let's get at it.

First up, what is our monthly promotion? Well, we have these lovely chests full of awesome goodie---oh, I hear someone is saying we just had chests a couple of months ago. Alright, well these work a bit differently, as in they have some extra shiny added to them:
- All chests generate faction credits equal to the amount of chests bought (this is about double value than what buying credits would generate for your faction)
- Every 25 chests that are open in-game, a daily xenozoology bounty will trigger for everyone! Fulfill the bounty and you will be rewarded with an explorer-themed piece of loot. The bounty can only be claimed once per day, but if, say, 50 chests are open in a day, then the following day will also have a bounty and so on and so forth. But what is this XENOZOOLOGY you speak of? We'll get to that later!

As you might know, each chest gives three rewards, a BIG one, a Medium one and a small one.
Big rewards include:

Vehicles:
- a rugged RoamTek rover
- a four-wheeled ATV
- an earth-hued OutVentures rover
- a pale-sided Safari Elite rover

Artifacts:
- Personal Hacking Proxy
- Equipment Augmentation Kit
- Bioscanner Stabilizer - This makes your XENOZOOLOGY SCAN action uninterruptible (Again with the xenozoology and no explanations?!)

Awesome items:
- a RoamTek Trophymaker - turn this on via XENOZOOLOGY TROPHY and the next creature you slay will automatically be preserved into a life-like trophy (1 hr cooldown)
- a RoamTek warpbag - the safest in travel gear, you can attune this bag to a room on your ship and any item you put in your warpbag will automatically be transported to that room.
- personal augmentation casket - we've kept the Bushraki customizations a while longer by popular request

Others:
- 20-50 credit prizes
- 350 lessons

Medium rewards include:
- a mildly interesting thing - This is something you found on your travels...probably...allows you to CUSTOMIZE REQUEST NEW JUNK and send in your very own junk item that we'll add to our permanent junk list
- a bubbling fish tank
- a thorny hinka vine
- lots of fish for your fish tank!
- mods
- loot drops
- chips

Moving along now to FISH! Yes, we've had those lovely bubbling fish tanks for a while now and yet, we had no fish. Fear not, each of the major capital cities now has fish for sale that you can put in your fish tanks. You might find fish for sale in other curious locations as well as drops in our promo chests. Just remember to feed your wish with the feed from the shops! There's over two dozen types of fish currently available.

And now let's talk about XENOZOOLOGY. This is a new mechanic that everyone can enjoy and it will allow you to learn more about the rich, vibrant world of Starmourn. Everyone can go around the world and XENOZOOLOGY SCAN <creature>. Successfully scanning the creature will create an entry about it in your XENOZOOLOGY DATABANK, which you can consult at any time. The more distinct people scan the same creature, the more data is revealed about that particular creature. So bring your friends and get to scanning! Oh, you will probably need friends anyway to scan some of the more dangerous creatures since they don't really appreciate it.
We have almost one hundred creatures in the world of Starmourn at this moment, so let's see who amongst you is the best at cataloguing the sector!

And before I forget, certain shops in each of the major capitals now sell cans of paint remover. They're one time use and may be used to SCRUB <prop with graffiti> to eliminate troubling messages.

There's a few more things in the works, but we'll talk about those in the following days!
</pre>

Comments

• Begun the Paint Wars have...
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • The more distinct people scan the same creature, the more data is revealed about that particular creature. So bring your friends and get to scanning!

It's not clear right away, but I'm assuming this means people that scan at the same time? I can't go scan the same job someone scanned 3 hours ago for "more people credit"?
  • The "mildly interesting thing" amuses me. Show people your neat trinket from that random planet you visited! It was nicer if you were also there. A slideshow projector with worn out photos!
  • Deltrion said:
    The more distinct people scan the same creature, the more data is revealed about that particular creature. So bring your friends and get to scanning!

It's not clear right away, but I'm assuming this means people that scan at the same time? I can't go scan the same job someone scanned 3 hours ago for "more people credit"?
    This means global scans at any point, it's not time related. So whenever 10 distinct people scan, say, the Eskama, its diet will be revealed, 20 and you get the nifty blurb.
  • SELASSIANS, YOUR DOWNFALL IS NIGH
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Gotta catch 'em all!

Is this a prelude for Starmourn Pokemon League!?
  • edited July 2019
    I like how the scanning gives lessons, that's very helpful for me since I can't buy lessons. I also like how once I've scanned it, if other people scan it, my databanks update.

Basically this is a very good future cookbook forming. Look at all these delicious animals!

I'm sorry Clover.

I do plan on making a lot of plant based foods! More concerning gelatins, but without meat. Or just concerning things in general! Maybe we can have some kind of plant based hunting thing, but not scanning. Scrapbooking? Scrap...datasharding? Find hidden plants in rooms and add them to a collection, heh.
  • Ikchor said:
    Begun the Paint Wars have...
    Well, Time to paint harder. Turn it into a REAL marks sink.
    Oh no, It's Kass.