Skip to content

An idea to add hauling to the economy

We've just recently been told that a big overhaul to the economy is coming. and while I have my concerns over the MIL requires of prospecting I still think it all sounds great. Something I found disappointing though is no mention of adding a means to make hauling orders like you can other market orders. 
It's an idea whose time I really think is coming especially since it sounds like the devs really want to spread the economy around the sector. I am in favour of that but it does mean that there is a hassle for miners and especially manufacturers in moving the various goods around the sector as needed for manufacturing. Travel distance and time in this game can be lengthy and is not enjoyed by everyone. There are people currently in the game who really wants to do this job but with no order system for it there is no insurance to make sure no one runs off with marks or resources and it requires a lot of direct coordination between people who want to haul goods around and the people who need stuff moved from place to place.

I think you could fit this into the current market order system too just using a from too and the number of goods moved with the escrow system would take care of all the insurance and coordination problems allowing people do what they really enjoy in the game as opposed to the chore of flying around from station to station hundreds or thousands of distances apart from eachother.

Comments

• Hauling can be kinda jury rigged using existing market orders:
    Let's say I want 10 astromechs moved from station A to B and will pay 200 marks for each. I can simply put them for sale on A for 1300 marks, and make a market order for 1500 marks on B. The hauler can buy them at the former, sell at the latter, and make a profit.

The problem here is that this system can be messed with by other people, especially if the price at A is too low or at B too high.
  • Yeah, I've been using market orders to accomplish hauling contracts so far.

Consider the following "nice to haves":

MARKET CONTRACT <#> <cargo> AT <station> TO <person> FOR <price> - to form a contract of goods to a single person.
    MARKET CONTRACT LIST
    MARKET CONTRACT ACCEPT <id>
    MARKET CONTRACT CANCEL <id>
    MARKET HAULCONTRACT <#> <cargo> AT <station> TO <station> FOR <fee> <collateral>
     - Just one problem being that knowledge of hauling contracts could allow targeted pirating, even by the hauling contract issuer.
    Hi, I'm Ata. Oh and maybe some other people, too. o:) Check out my various packages for Nexus: Vuu combat system, Global Pathfinder, Slicer Tools, Ship compass, JS from command line, Vitals Tracker, and Equipment Manager.
  • Cubey said:
    Hauling can be kinda jury rigged using existing market orders:
    Let's say I want 10 astromechs moved from station A to B and will pay 200 marks for each. I can simply put them for sale on A for 1300 marks, and make a market order for 1500 marks on B. The hauler can buy them at the former, sell at the latter, and make a profit.

The problem here is that this system can be messed with by other people, especially if the price at A is too low or at B too high.
    the messing with is the problem, consider if you want 200 hdsastrium moved from where you produced it to where you are going to use it. you bought the resources to make that astrium but someone else fills the order on the other side with their own hdsastrium your stage one manufactured goods did not get moved and you paid for someone elses. this is not what i call a good system.
  • RocketCat said:
    Yeah, I've been using market orders to accomplish hauling contracts so far.

Consider the following "nice to haves":

MARKET CONTRACT <#> <cargo> AT <station> TO <person> FOR <price> - to form a contract of goods to a single person.
    MARKET CONTRACT LIST
    MARKET CONTRACT ACCEPT <id>
    MARKET CONTRACT CANCEL <id>
    MARKET HAULCONTRACT <#> <cargo> AT <station> TO <station> FOR <fee> <collateral>
     - Just one problem being that knowledge of hauling contracts could allow targeted pirating, even by the hauling contract issuer.
    I consider the pirate problem actually just part of the game. it does go bad if the person issuing the contracts does the pirating. but otherwise, I see that as a feature, not a bug.
  • Don't you just take the market order and state you'll fulfill all of it so nobody should be able to snipe your business away? I'm all for improving the content though, more stuff in space is the dream.
  • Don't you just take the market order and state you'll fulfill all of it so nobody should be able to snipe your business away? I'm all for improving the content though, more stuff in space is the dream.
    that requires direct coordination between the hauler and the person who needs stuff hauling. you really do not want to put these orders up in advance or someone else will just come along and take them. either running off with the goods you need hauled or fulfilling the destination order leaving you with more expenses then you really want or may even be able to afford since you payed for your original stockpile which you want moved.
  • Another command that would be useful: CARGO TRANSFER <number> <cargo> <person>. Transfers cargo from your storage on the station to someone else's storage on the same station.
  • edited June 2019
    Grek said:
    Another command that would be useful: CARGO TRANSFER <number> <cargo> <person>. Transfers cargo from your storage on the station to someone else's storage on the same station.
    This would be great in general, not just for hauling. I can think of at least 5 different scenarios where you'd want to transfer cargo to someone else (without them being around) and that's just off the top of my head.
  • Ok, so basically what people here are saying is that you'd like some sort of order type that just has you carry one person's stuff from one storage point to another storage point. Unless I am misreading something.
    So, say Garryn has 100 titanium stored at Omni and he wants it moved to his storage/factory at TD.
  • With some kind of punishment if the one who took the job somehow failed to fulfill his end of the bargain. All of the proposed idea are basically possible with the current MARKET ORDER system, but nothing really stops anyone from just running away and take away your precious cargo.
    I'm Vianou, by the way.
  • I guess the only current way to do this would be to put a ridiculous price via market offer on the products needing transported and a corresponding order price at the final destination. Someone would be deterred from stealing them, because they'd pay a huge amount up front the transport the produces. However, that also does not prevent someone logging in, scanning the market order list, and going "oh, hey, I can fill that awesome market order!" before the products can be transported.
  • if someone fails to deliver, then they are known pirates and will struggle to find safe places to dock...