Skip to content

Announcements post #52: Ship Customizations and May Promotion!

<pre>From: Ilyos, the Arbiter
Subject: Ship Customizations and May Promotion!

Greetings, Starmourners!

The beginning of May brings a new content release for Starmourn, as well as a new promotion in the form of shipping crates. This month in Starmourn, we are all ships, all the time!

We invite players to explore the options they have for ship customization (by using SHIP DESIGN on your ships), a brand new feature that brings your ship off the Overhead Map and into the space station, where it can be looked at by yourself and, more importantly, by others.

Like your character's appearance, you can describe your ship with a paragraph of text, as well as pimp your ship's look with dozens of options available in station chop shops across the galaxy. Kit it out with snazzy paint colors and finishes, exciting wing and hull shapes, and thematic decals that you can combine to make your ship unique - and uniquely yours.

You will also notice that docking areas in stations have just gotten a little more lively, allowing you to see just how many ships are currently docked. We've also updated the STATION SHIPS ALL command with a snazzy new look, allowing you to peruse the ships docked at the station. If any ship catches your fancy, you can inspect it via SHIP DISPLAY <ship id>.

In addition to the station options available to everyone, ship customization datashards can be found in this month's promotional chests. These are filled with colors, finishes, decals, and more - collect them all to be the envy of the stars!

Other notable items available in this month's promotional chests:

NeuroPremonition Sensors - This experimental piece of ship technology is essentialy a hostile personnel radar, available as an aftermarket installation on your vessel. This unique detection device will alert you to the presence of enemies nearby - if someone you are at odds with enters the same star system as you, this item will make sure you always have the upper hand. (This artifact must be linked to your ship)

An Y'saari Voidgate Permit - It is not often that the mighty Y'saari will condescend to barter with the lesser races, but for a few valued individuals, they have consented to make a deal. Someone holding their permit will be allowed their ships to pass through voidgates free of charge. (This artifact must be linked to your ship)

A destroyer's broadcaster - This item can be installed on your ship to transmit an altered signal proclaiming your deeds throughout the sector whenever you successfully destroy another ship. To use it, simply hold the item, and use the 'SHIP DESIGN DEATHSIGHT' option when standing in a ship docked at a chopshop.

A food preservation unit - Tired of all your food spoiling? This appliance is built using the same technology medical corporations use to keep people in cold storage. If it works for sentient beings, you better believe it will work to keep your vegan sashtar or your bloody zhubeast steak as fresh as the day you made it.

Also available are toy spaceships that your pets will love to play with, air fresheners, and bobblehead dolls, all of them perfect for enhancing the bridge of your vessel with a little personality.

Don't miss out on the chance to grab an experience buff, a random weapon or armor mod, credits, marks, and more!
And because we wanted our chests to be extra juicy, each of them contains THREE prizes instead the usual one. So you might win a Voidgate permit alongside a captaincy xp buff and a couple of credits to go with it. Or you might find yourself the owner a new experimental sensor unit, some toys for your ship and some marks to treat yourself to a nice dinner, all in the same chest.</pre>

Comments

• A couple of observations and suggestions

1) Can there please be a trade-in option for promotion items.

2) Experience buffs are effective immediately. instead can they please be triggered effects to be used when convenient

• Fuck yeah, time to make everyone realize how silly my ships look like.
  • edited May 2019
    Kirin said:
    A couple of observations and suggestions

2) Experience buffs are effective immediately. instead can they please be triggered effects to be used when convenient

These are both good suggestions. We've implemented number 2), I'm going to need a bit of time to make number 1) work though, most promo items aren't exactly regular artifacts.
  • Sensors are approaching that line of 'promo-only mechanical benefits' that worry me.

The voidgate one is pretty nuts for getting to incursions and CPs without breaking your bank, but since it's basically cash for marks it's whatever.

100% here for ship deathsight and general customization as promo stuff.
  • I think the promotion could do without NeuroPremonition Sensors and Y'saari Voidgate Permit.

NeuroPremonition Sensors would make the job of bounty hunters harder and as pointed out it is currently a promo-only mechanical benefit.

Especially I am not a fan of Y'saari Voidgate Permit which is way too powerful and that removes a major mark sink if someone gets their hands on it. Moving any ship without a high cost provides immense mobility for both incursions and cosmpiercers.

It would be better if it was just a some % discount. But that is my thought.
  • Ilyos said:
    Kirin said:
    A couple of observations and suggestions

These are both good suggestions. We've implemented number 2), I'm going to need a bit of time to make number 1) work though, most promo items aren't exactly regular artifacts.
    I agree most are just vanity stuff. in which case, can they be made transferable to other players? Right now, we cannot do that even except for the first batch of pets
  • My biggest concern with these loot box promotions is that I haven't felt like I've been getting my moneys worth. Sure I understand it's a form of gambling, but last month I spent 10 dollars on a token just to get a pet bed. I could buy a pet bed in real life for 10 dollars. It left me with a real bad taste in my mouth. Getting a chance for 3 separate things in the crates is nice touch though. It'd be nice if the promotions had some sort of event attached to them. Also could we please not have another loot box promo for June?