Skip to content

Food

I'm not especially fond of the game's dynamic build setup and think it could use some tweaks. My character, far as I can tell, is eating enough to depopulate whole species of prey from the ecosystem while still wasting away enough to make me think my clones come with a serving of complementary tapeworms. I like the idea of the system in that it encourages actually getting food/drink more often than you might otherwise (and thereby interact with the players who've picked up cusine), but the numbers and the infrequency with which your build updates has a detrimental effect IMO. I'm not inclined to pick up player-made food from the trade network, getting the IDs individually and taking them out of separate boxes, when I'm going to be eating 5-10 items on a daily basis.

I think the system could be improved in a couple ways:
1) Move build into a customize option, either just flat-out or setting a 'target' build you'll weight to more heavily.
2) Offer some information in terms of how calorie-dense individual food items are, your average usage on a month-to-month basis according to your activity, and possibly lower the baseline metabolism a teeny bit.
3) Have build processing occur a little more frequently than once a week.

All of this is just my own experience, though, so I'm interested in seeing how other people have found the system. Is it fine? Is it a nuisance? Have you noticed it at all?

Comments

• Yes! Please! I would like to be extremely hefty, but the current setup of the mechanics makes it seem not worth the trouble. Right now my build is Gaunt :(:(:(
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Asian metabolism should be a thing.

oh wait, we are in space. Never mind 
  • I'll always agree with things that makes food worthwhile! I'd really like the third option, knowing how many calories are in certain items so I can design a spread of both calorie dense and light food. If I'm wishing, I'd love for that to be a variable I can set as a designer, within reason of course. Like hypersquares can be between x and y calories, meals are between c and b variables, etc etc.
  • All of my characters calories these days comes from booze these days. He's still set at 'average'. Please fix!
  • I dunno if there's a caloric difference in game between liquor and beer but Slander went something like 7 years only drinking liquor and ate maybe three food items total in that time and made it to 'thin.' I dunno how other people have achieved 'gaunt.'
    I'm gone.
  • I've been at 'average' this whole time. Balanced meals* and balanced bash efforts, yo.

*noodles 4 life
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • Slander said:
    I dunno if there's a caloric difference in game between liquor and beer but Slander went something like 7 years only drinking liquor and ate maybe three food items total in that time and made it to 'thin.' I dunno how other people have achieved 'gaunt.'
    Lots of bashing (ie, balance-taking actions).
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)