Skip to content

New Dev Blog Post: Customisation

First in a multi-post series on your character and roleplay customisation options is up on Starmourn.com

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Awesome dev blog! I specifically like how titles and additional customization unlocks will work. Being able to display what has been accomplished by your character in multiple ways is great. 

It sounds like if a person doesn't want to use titles, they can use the feature customization's to show accomplishments instead. In my opinion, this versatility is great.
  • Thank you for writing that up. Inquiring minds wanted to know. :D Excited all over again!
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Bring that asterisk here, boy. 

1. Will a player be able to toggle titles on/off, or switch to older ones they gained, in case they like it better?
    2. Will the character traits be set during the character creation that Nexus/Mudlet has, during the tutorial, or gradually through tasks?
    3. Will you be able to alter traits in the future, at random? Or will they only be able to be altered after gaining an unlockable?
    4. Height has a play in the game, will weight have one as well, or are you guys going to leave this for later/never?
    5. How will the traits be viewed by other players? Like a 'quick-look' type option, through some profile, or what?
    6. Will the ability for other players to look at your traits be able to be toggled on/off? 
    7. For traits, are there simple colors and adjectives, just like a list you click through to select?
    8. Will there be any way to submit ideas for new traits, such as hairstyles and facial hair styles? 
  • Zion said:
    Bring that asterisk here, boy. 

1. Will a player be able to toggle titles on/off, or switch to older ones they gained, in case they like it better?
    2. Will the character traits be set during the character creation that Nexus/Mudlet has, during the tutorial, or gradually through tasks?
    3. Will you be able to alter traits in the future, at random? Or will they only be able to be altered after gaining an unlockable?
    4. Height has a play in the game, will weight have one as well, or are you guys going to leave this for later/never?
    5. How will the traits be viewed by other players? Like a 'quick-look' type option, through some profile, or what?
    6. Will the ability for other players to look at your traits be able to be toggled on/off? 
    7. For traits, are there simple colors and adjectives, just like a list you click through to select?
    8. Will there be any way to submit ideas for new traits, such as hairstyles and facial hair styles? 
    1. Yes, they'll be able to switch out their titles easily!
    2. Currently, you're presented with an option to further customise your character before you start the intro, but we'll likely integrate it into Nexus graphically (and optionally).
    3. You can, yes, there will be NPC locations where you can go to change your customisable options.
    4. Height and weight are somewhat linked, stay tuned for further info on that!
    5. LOOK AT <person> will show the traits along side the other information.
    6. No plans to hide them at this stage.
    7. Various options, some are ranges of values, some are lists of options
    8. Yep, the system is easy enough to add new options in the future.
  • I'm a bit confused on the descriptions.  Some of the traits and 'unlockables' sound like the kinds of things that would normally appear in free-form descriptions. So, how do those things overlap, or do they?

Can I describe my character as having white hair in a free-form description prior to having unlocked white hair as a trait? 

Are traits obviously different from free-form descriptions, and how-so?  (I assume they are intended to work together as a complement to each other, so how would that look if I were LOOKing at someone, are those features going to manifest seperately?)
    Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

• Wilmer said:
    I'm a bit confused on the descriptions.  Some of the traits and 'unlockables' sound like the kinds of things that would normally appear in free-form descriptions. So, how do those things overlap, or do they?

Can I describe my character as having white hair in a free-form description prior to having unlocked white hair as a trait? 

Are traits obviously different from free-form descriptions, and how-so?  (I assume they are intended to work together as a complement to each other, so how would that look if I were LOOKing at someone, are those features going to manifest seperately?)
    They don't overlap, really. I mean, yes, you could post that you have white hair, the traits would show that you don't :)

So, for example, Looking at Bob, you'd see something like this:

-- Bob ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Race:         Amaian                            Gender:       Male
    Affiliation:  Scatterhome                       Status:       Healthy

Appearance:   Youthful                          Height:       Towering (198cm)    
    Build:        Lithe                             Eyes:         Azure
    Fins:         Cobalt, stubby                    Skin:         Navy

Description:  Freeform description goes here.

Attire:       Clothing goes here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Speaking of cobalt, will there be some colorful hair options, for dyeing and stuff? Or is that just in the freeform. 
  • Yep, they vary from race to race.
  • Tecton said:
    Wilmer said:
    I'm a bit confused on the descriptions.  Some of the traits and 'unlockables' sound like the kinds of things that would normally appear in free-form descriptions. So, how do those things overlap, or do they?

They don't overlap, really. I mean, yes, you could post that you have white hair, the traits would show that you don't :)

So, for example, Looking at Bob, you'd see something like this:
    -- Bob ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Race:         Amaian                            Gender:       Male
    Affiliation:  Scatterhome                       Status:       Healthy

Appearance:   Youthful                          Height:       Towering (198cm)    
    Build:        Lithe                             Eyes:         Azure
    Fins:         Cobalt, stubby                    Skin:         Navy

Description:  Freeform description goes here.

Attire:       Clothing goes here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of the unlockables, will it be clear that a player might potentially be introducing a conflicting appearance? I mean, it sounds like no one can have white hair unless they can get it unlocked in the event. I realize that is probably just a hypothetical example, but are there any potential real traits as simple as that? Or does it even matter?

In other words, will someone walk up to me and say, "You couldn't possibly have white hair, NEWB, because you weren't part of the K’si event. DO YOU EVEN MUD?" or would there be a help file list somewhere of things to avoid? Or am I just overthinking this?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Sounds kind of silly I'll have to unlock white hair if I'm deciding to start as , like, 110 years old.
  • 110? You're just a child (says the Decheeran).
  • bairloch said:
    110? You're just a child (says the Decheeran).
    Decheerans don't even have hair!
  • This is amazing. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Aurelius said:
    bairloch said:
    Does moss count? I'm planning to grow a lovely head of moss.
    (not really just thought it was funny)
    So if we don't have hair, what do we get? I demand parity! Do we unlock leaf colors? Moss shades? Parity!
  • bairloch said:
    Aurelius said:
    bairloch said:
    Does moss count? I'm planning to grow a lovely head of moss.
    (not really just thought it was funny)
    So if we don't have hair, what do we get? I demand parity! Do we unlock leaf colors? Moss shades? Parity!
    What happens when you get wood-lice?
  • Well, then you squishy folk get the regular kind of lice.
    Parity!
  • bairloch said:
    Well, then you squishy folk get the regular kind of lice.
    Parity!
    Regular folk don't get termites, though.
    Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

• Wilmer said:
    bairloch said:
    Well, then you squishy folk get the regular kind of lice.
    Parity!
    Regular folk don't get termites, though.
    Regular foke can have flesh eating space maggots then heh