Skip to content

Updated Policies Regarding Harassment and OOC

edited April 2019 in The Commsphere
Starmourn is still a brand new game, and many of our systems remain in a 'fledgling' state compared to the other games in IRE's ecosystem.  This includes things like our customer service infrastructure, and the policies we have in place for properly monitoring and supporting players. To that end, we are working on building and reviewing a framework of behavior and rule enforcement that will serve the playerbase better in the future. Going forward, we hope to have a better understanding of how best to help out community thrive and grow.

Our HELP HARASSMENT and HELP OOC helpfiles have been updated to incorporate the following policies. Please review these helpfiles carefully, as our policies will be enforced.

- Players will be civil and respectful to each other out of character. In character, feel free to be a mean supervillain, so long as you are still capable of being kind to others OOC.

- OOC platforms are not avenues for roleplay. To be specific, they are not a place to pursue character development or interaction. Feel free to post logs and quotes if everyone agrees, and feel free to express appreciation for play you enjoyed, but in general, keep IC happenings IC. That means absolutely NO IC mudslinging or interaction on the forums or OOC chat channels.

- Justice for OOC grievances should be pursued through OOC means, and NOT through IC gameplay. If you are OOC upset or uncomfortable about something that happened IC, try to come to an OOC resolution with your roleplay partners, or use the IGNORE function. If you continue to experience problems, ISSUE. 

- No trolling the newbie channel or faction channels, or posting inflammatory things in on the Forums or in News simply to get an exciting reaction from others.

- When in doubt, ask yourself if someone could construe what you are about to say or post as hurtful. Don't be hurtful. Follow the golden rule.

Comments

• Thanks Eukelade, you are so right. I'm going to be the best super villain ever. Dominion Empress #2 coming right up! But on a serious note, you are right specifically because so many people don't realize that just because you are being mean IC doesn't mean you're being mean OOC, and a lot of people also try acting mean OOC just because they're being mean IC. Character and player separation is important for getting the most out of the roleplay experience. 

Conflict can lead to some of the best character development when done right. I'm really happy you went out of your way to clarify. Thanks for the hard work!
    Character: Vega
    Faction: Song Dominion
    Class: Engineer 

note: I am always up for RP, antagonistic or friendly. If she's being a bitch, it's because you're from Scatterhome or she's trying to meet a deadline and has nothing to do with whether I want to RP with you or not. Thanks in advance for the RP!

• I'm sure everybody who had to witness the drama 'bout a month ago will agree with me when I say:
    THANK YOU
    I wanted to put some swearing or wittiness in my response (it's what the cool kids do) but honestly I'm just relieved. I really hope not to see a repeat of that bullshit ever again.
  • Please read news announcement #44 in game for more on this.
  • Thank you very much for the steps taken by staff to address certain issues that had fallen to the wayside. I had departed Starmourn in disgust and was not thinking of coming back, but myself and a few others who left at around the same time, for the same reasons, have all expressed a great deal of appreciation for the sincerity this has been dealt with and countermeasures enacted, especially the new HELP GENDER. It gives me a renewed sense of hope for the game's trajectory in future, although I was dismayed it did not happen sooner and some of the damage was already done.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited April 2019
    I mean... The only people bringing social issues into Starmourn (and IRE) are people LIKE Kestrel, but okay.

Edit: Is it ironic that Vega is also one of the first people who should point at for conflating IC and OOC stuff?

Edit Edit: You're not barking up the wrong tree here, you're in the completely wrong forest. Get some self-awareness people.

Edit Edit Edit: This edit came a few hours after the last one... So far, we've seen pretty much no generalisations about girls/women. Personally, I don't recall IRE ever having these sorts of issues. If anything, we have people like Kestrel et al (who does she actually speak for anyway?) flinging the inane shit that gets tossed around on feminist current every other day. Even OOCly. 

And no, even the premise of the gender stuff is outright wrong.

Nath'el: 
    GovernmentWhile they are not telepaths, they share such a strong common understanding that there is no need to debate who should lead their people. It is simply known, and it is always a female, ruling as Queen. She wields absolute power over her territory.

As kindly as possible: Get a grip. Your position isn't a soapbox to do exactly what you're berating people for, bringing your personal politics and shoving them into people's faces, people who pretty much agree with you about everything but the rhetoric.
  • Wow.  You are shortsighted and also a complete jerk.

Kestrel brought these issues up in a way that could have been handled better than she handled it.

But also, she is not "the only people bringing social issues into Starmourn"

I was harassed three different ways by male players, and ZERO of them have had to leave their faction or basically stop playing their character over this.

People like you make this game unfun and unsafe.
  • Chi said:
    Wow.  You are shortsighted and also a complete jerk.

Kestrel brought these issues up in a way that could have been handled better than she handled it.

But also, she is not "the only people bringing social issues into Starmourn"

I was harassed three different ways by male players, and ZERO of them have had to leave their faction or basically stop playing their character over this.

People like you make this game unfun and unsafe.
    I agree, I'd be a much nicer person if I just let people get away with whatever they want unquestioned.

Kestrel wanted to cry and wail about something she had no idea about and two people wanted to play out their rape RP, which is pretty weird and should probably be kept in the bedroom if people are into that.

Sure, Chi. I've got no idea what you mean by harassed by male CHARACTERS and I'm certainly not going to blindly take your word for it considering your last paragraph.

People like you make this game unfun. I don't want to hear about you drag your IRL grievances with men into everything, and neither does anyone else, thanks for offering them though!

As for unsafe...? Grow the hell up.
This discussion has been closed.