Skip to content

Character Concept Breakdown

I'm heavily into fantasy, and while I enjoy Sci-Fi, I don't usually get as excited about is as I do for fantasy games. However, I'm very excited that IRE is doing this game, and I look forward to playing it! With that said, I'll share my character creation process and maybe you can help me get an idea of who/what I want to play. For my Starmourn character I want to draw inspiration from the setting itself, rather than from other Sci-fi settings, b/c I'm either not super-familiar, or I don't think they'll mesh well. The name "Song Dominion" immediately jumped out at me as interesting but this has little to do with sci-fi. I just like to play bards. The concept of beauty and dignity persevering through hardship and tragedy is particularly appealing, and I'd like to play a character that embodies these themes. I find that I'm not overly-fond of any of the song Dominion Races. The Decheerans are the ones I'm most interested in but there's something about them that's rubbing me the wrong way and I'm not 100% sure what it is. So that begs the question - if I'm a part of the Song Dominion and not one of their founding races, what bought me to Song City? Outside of the Song, the race I am most interested in playing is Shen. I have some interest in Jin, and Human, but a Shen is my clear favorite. Then there's class. I generally go for spellcasting (or in this case SPAAAACE MAAAAGIC) classes, and that pretty much means the Nanoseer at this point in time. However, a half-drunken Shen outcast also sounds appealing and more fitting to the theme I mentioned earlier, so that might be what I go with. So it looks like based on my reading and research, I'll want to play a Shen Scoundrel in the Song Dominion. I really wouldn't mind keeping him in the Celestine Ascendancy either, but I'd play a Nanoseer who's a historian there.

Comments

• Very great post. 
    From what I can glean, when you mentioned a Shen Nanoseer Historian in the Celestine Ascendancy, it seemed to jive with the person behind Ranuth, with your writing style, and just the overall objective of your post.  I would love to visit you in your digibrary of history and listen to the stories of the sector over some warm beverages. 
  • We inadvertently have the same character...
    Mine is a Shen nanoseer in the Ascendancy. She's also a history nut
  • Cuuuuutteeee. 
    Mine is the Tukkav BEAST mining leader and smuggler. Politician.
  • Nath-el mycologist-turned-dusthead-turned-businessbug.  Politics? Why not - a toe in every pot!  Kith user (holding out on that 5th class to be saaweet!)
  • edited September 2017
    I forgot to mention, totally doesn't run a pirate gang. My character would -never- be in league with pirates. Ever.
  • Elgan B.E.A.S.T. who operates his suit like it's a mech from titanfall, only 8 feet tall. Has that crazy-inventor like personality. Loves explosions and art. Especially art made with explosions.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Also an Elgan B.E.A.S.T. but I don't really have any specific plan for him. I wish I could make plans ahead like you guys heh. He'll probably be a wisecracking jack-of-all-trades, although I'd like him to focus a bit on combat and maybe politics, I'm just waiting to know more about the combat system to be sure.
  • edited September 2017
    Mildly obsessed Decheeran engineer searching the sector for the tech or kith that can help restore the planet.
  • The nerdy & quirky Elgan engineer who knows far too much about practically anything involving spaceships and can confuse you to death with a single lecture.
  • A chain smoking, binge drinking convicted murderer ex con ex smuggler human BEAST mercenary bodyguard chick with attitude problems, a past she doesn't want to talk about, and a strong desire for love and peace.

So a walking stereotype, come at me!
  • Zion's gonna hire you.

Kill my enemies.
  • @Zion
    I thought you were hiring me :cry:
  • I can hire you both. 

And then you make you fight to see who is hired forever.  >:)

• I'm heavily influenced by used future / gritty sci-fi; some of my favorites being BSG, Firefly, and Mass Effect (specifically the Omega arc in 2). I also just finished the absolutely excellent Leviathan Wakes and am looking forward to reading the rest of the Expanse.

Thus, it is no surprise that an Elgan Scoundrel from Scatterhome speaks to me on a visceral level.

I imagine all he'll care about is clawing his way from the tunnels and out into the black, making as much money as he can and trying to write his name across the galaxy as a trade king before he flames out.

Also, first post, love Starmourn, gimme please, etc. etc. how can I possibly be addicted to a game that's not even out yet aaaarrrrggghhh.
  • Welcome to the club.