Skip to content

Family Ties

edited August 2017 in Questions and Answers
Out of curiosity how many of us are going to be creating royal bloodlines to conquer and subjugate the masses with? I know in Achaea, where I've been since early 00's, family means quite a bit to some players. It would be very cool to see something like "House Atreidies has the biggest fleet this side of the galaxy" or something.  

EDIT: I think this ended up in the wrong forum? 

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Well, just look at my profile picture, my friend.

Nothing quite says 'space royalty' like a snazzy uniform and a nice moustache.

In fact, I've uploaded the full picture to my profile page! For anyone who cares about the kind of character I plan to play.
  • Devina said:
    As someone who wants to play either a Ry'nari or Krona, I want a huge family. Not because I want to make an empire or anything... But because I like having that surround of people who want to RP. I've always been big on IC relationships, from Midkemia to Lusternia and everywhere inbetween.

But I don't think Krona make royals. Or Ry'nari. But horde with me please.
    I'll be making a Ry'nari. Let's horde it up. 
  • I greatly enjoyed the family RP that I had in Achaea years ago and also the MkO family RP I've had more recently. But thinking about family makes me wonder about more detail in procreation. I'm going to go back and re-read some of the race bios. In Midkemian lore, Eledhel usually had just one or two children in their entire life and often with large age gaps, iirc, so having a lot of siblings, for instance, made no roleplay sense.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • How -does- family work in game? Is it an in-character mechanic or do you have to decide on character gen that the character is part of a family and agree it with other players. This is the first Iron Realms game I am looking at playing.
  • Hailfire said:
    How -does- family work in game? Is it an in-character mechanic or do you have to decide on character gen that the character is part of a family and agree it with other players. This is the first Iron Realms game I am looking at playing.
    I believe it was stated in the general question threads that surnames are chosen at character generation from an approved list determined by race, but at launch there won't be family game mechanics. In Achaea, you could be bloodlined after two or three IC years and both parties would need to agree to the process.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Thanks for the explanation @Syaja
  • Decheerans don't do family. I'd like a good size Grove though. For company.
  • @Hailfire - the other thing they said was that the surnames would be like Smiths in the States. You're not gonna be related to all of them so it doesn't necessarily matter if you choose the same surname as other players by coincidence, you aren't forced into playing family.
  • Ry'nari goes tribing. For horde we need at least 14 Ry'nari
  • Can we at least, as players, make suggestions to the list of surnames? For example, if the list for humans had Smith, Carter and Miller, but didn't have Jones or Bloodskull... any chance of us asking to have Jones and Bloodskull added to the game?
  • Dodger said:
    Can we at least, as players, make suggestions to the list of surnames? For example, if the list for humans had Smith, Carter and Miller, but didn't have Jones or Bloodskull... any chance of us asking to have Jones and Bloodskull added to the game?

From the character page:

The reason for allowing only a preselected list of last names is to help create some racial identity. It's possible that down the road we'll institute a way for accomplished players to create a new last name that other players can, with the permission of the name 'owner', change to as well.

• edited August 2017
    Ah, I meant before the game begins, though. It's easy enough to create names for humans, at least, right?
  • Well, all humans are descended from 375 survivors, so the name pool is pretty small. Assuming they wanted to hold on to that history and kept their last names down the line, of course.
  • Oh, yeah. I keep forgetting how few humans there actually were.
  • I trust Jin will be well versed in bringing new family members into existence and helping them leave quite nicely..
    Ataniiq
  • One of the ways Achaea pulled me in, ages and ages ago, was the family RP so I would love to find some of that here, as well. It's always a good way to go, though we'll have to see how that is handled!
  • Dodger said:
    Oh, yeah. I keep forgetting how few humans there actually were.
    Luckily we're pretty good at solving that problem.
  • I'm definitely going to have a Tukkav tribe. I'll have to take advantage of every opportunity a Tukkav is made, probably.