Skip to content

tractor beams

I've got my tractor beam loaded onto my ship and I can fire it at targets during incursions, but I have yet to see it do anything. Can it be applied elsewhere, like asteroids or cargo, and if so, how?

Comments

• Only works on asteroids currently
  • Primary use for tractor beams seems to be to make asteroids less onerus, since you can fire the beam at the asteroids to get them to stop moving, letting you tether them more easily. The SF INSPECT file suggests they deal damage, but frankly with their power draw and cycle usage it isn't the best idea, unless you don't mind being a sitting duck and or can fort up. And that's assuming that a) the file is correct, b) tractor damage is the same as cannon damage, c) that's an intended behavior and is just bugged.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • So far, there's no evidence of the tractor beam doing anything against ships in either pulling (or your ship being pulled to you) or in damage. 
  • Do you target asteroids like ships? I'm having trouble targetting them
  • Asteroids don't seem to move anymore like they used to. If they do, it's a lot less frequently. I'm guessing tractor beams are going to be updated somehow, because they seem a bit obsolete for the current situation with asteroids.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Tractor beam isn't supposed to do damage to other ships it's supposed to hold them from moving. It will be calculated on the mass of the person using it against the target. It can then be used to tow yourself behind a bigger ship or tow a smaller ship. Will be fun for rescues when it's fully working as intended
  • maybe we could use the tractor beam as a reuseable tether?
  • I would like to see the tractor beam pull things towards you (Maybe force acceleration of the object towards the origin point? Less pulling and more making the object fly towards you).

This would be great for both asteroids or cargo. Handy for getting things trapped behind CP guns.