Skip to content

Q+A Madness - Jan/Feb 2019

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Is it possible to have some naming conventions for different races/planets/factions? 

And are there plans of changing the way fashion is applied? It seems a bit odd to have so many different ribbon places, instead of being able to WEAR RIBBON NECK or WEAR RIBBON ANKLE so having to buy the same looking ribbon just to put it different places feels odd. It probably doesn't bother a lot of people, but it just really stood out to me when I ended up being able to craft 5 different types of ribbons at 500 lessons spent but not a single type of shoe. 

Most of my questions about the Engineer Class I'll just leave until after the changes. 

Are there any intentions to make it possible for Clans to be attached to factions so the ownership can be transferred easier? If someone was angry they could essentially just delete all the clans they are head of when they lose city leadership, and that seems like a loophole. While I do see how it is allowing people to roleplay out their demise, I would find that really annoying on an ooc level to deal with. 

Finally, for questions and clarifications on conflicting information between things in game and on the wiki lore wise, what should be done about it? Does that fall under a typo or issue?

Thank you for taking the time out to answer questions.
    Character: Vega
    Faction: Song Dominion
    Class: Engineer 

note: I am always up for RP, antagonistic or friendly. If she's being a bitch, it's because you're from Scatterhome or she's trying to meet a deadline and has nothing to do with whether I want to RP with you or not. Thanks in advance for the RP!

• edited January 2019
    How do we avoid heat death?

I guess I am a little worried about, as mentioned, players segregating into dynasties & FT becoming quiet-like.
    vote ∘ Explore Nexus mods for Starmourn & Achaeandb for Nexus

• I've asked this previously but there are a bunch of skills that are redundant due to both class and skirmishing/exploration having the same effect. I.E Slink/Conceal, Dash Skirmishing, and Dash guile, or Bloodburn/bloodsinge. Seems highly redundant and the class versions are also higher down the skill trees compared to their counterparts, if possible can we have these skills changed into something else or buffed?

Also is there any plans to make cover more useful in PvE? Or will this strictly be a PvP thing?

Last but not least and of the utmost importance! Drugs! What are your plans for the drug trade skill? How will it work and when do we get our dirty little hands on these things!?
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Do you like things up your ass? Is your record clean? Are you looking for a job in the near future but not right now? Smuggle drugs for Solus and get stuffed across the galaxy."

• edited January 2019
    I made this an IDEA IG, but was wondering if there is any thought into it happening or not? The idea is like a view screen at the arena staging area that those sparing can turn on so others can watch them spar. Anyone WATCH ARENA (or something like that) can see the commands and movement of the people inside the arena. I played a MUD that let you do this and it was a good way to train others in combat.

Edit: Need more arena's like faction arenas.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • Tecton said:
    Thessia said:
    Mod drops are painfully low. Is that intended at the moment, with players supplying all our mod needs once we get things going? How are low level modders supposed to get started? I'm at 3 mods after 15k kills here.
    Yeah, the modding system hasn't worked out as well as we'd envisioned, so we're adding some new mechanics in the near future to help modders get started and advance their research without relying strictly on drops.
    1. Another mod question! Will you keep mods having level restrictions in the future? Because, it appears to me that people would be less inclined to buy such things at lower levels and save their marks for the future when they are more stat-competent. Also it feels like armormodders would be more inclined to buy them off from the hands of low level players if all mods had no level restriction.

2. Removal of level cap was mentioned. Will the additional levels be devoid of significant advantages (i.e item lvls, extra stats, more health)? Some people might prefer to reach an optimal level and concentrate on PvP. In the case that incentives are still noticeably providing an edge, it can be tiresome after awhile. What is your stance on this?
  • edited January 2019
    Rkansas said:
    I made this an IDEA IG, but was wondering if there is any thought into it happening or not? The idea is like a view screen at the arena staging area that those sparing can turn on so others can watch them spar. Anyone WATCH ARENA (or something like that) can see the commands and movement of the people inside the arena. I played a MUD that let you do this and it was a good way to train others in combat.

This. Arenas are implemented so well in other IRE games, compared to that pvp in Starmourn feels so basic and unsupported.
    No SPARWHO, no ARENA WATCH, no support for team games*, technically there's support for free for alls* but did anyone see a single FFA game since Starmourn launched? I sure didn't. All of that is already implemented in existing IRE titles so you'd think you can copy existing code with minimal changes.
    Maybe there are huge backend problems involved and I'm just being ignorant, dunno. So my question is: are we going to have anything done about this any time soon?
    * - the default omni arena is too small for anything bigger than 1v1 anyway, so we'd need to enlarge it first.
  • Do you plan on bringing over any sort of housing system? 
    "Tell me of your home world, Usul."
  • I hated housing's role in the other IRE games, though obviously there appeal.
    vote ∘ Explore Nexus mods for Starmourn & Achaeandb for Nexus

• Oh, two more things I am curious about. 

1: Is there any chance we'll get the ability to describe our weapons, whether as a part of a tradeskill or artefact or any such?

2: Someone told me the ability to directly look at what someone is wearing is already implemented, but I can never get to make it work myself. Is it really in? And if not, any plans to make it so?
  • Vega said:
    Is it possible to have some naming conventions for different races/planets/factions? 

And are there plans of changing the way fashion is applied? It seems a bit odd to have so many different ribbon places, instead of being able to WEAR RIBBON NECK or WEAR RIBBON ANKLE so having to buy the same looking ribbon just to put it different places feels odd. It probably doesn't bother a lot of people, but it just really stood out to me when I ended up being able to craft 5 different types of ribbons at 500 lessons spent but not a single type of shoe. 

Most of my questions about the Engineer Class I'll just leave until after the changes. 

Are there any intentions to make it possible for Clans to be attached to factions so the ownership can be transferred easier? If someone was angry they could essentially just delete all the clans they are head of when they lose city leadership, and that seems like a loophole. While I do see how it is allowing people to roleplay out their demise, I would find that really annoying on an ooc level to deal with. 

Finally, for questions and clarifications on conflicting information between things in game and on the wiki lore wise, what should be done about it? Does that fall under a typo or issue?

Thank you for taking the time out to answer questions.
    1) Racial name examples are listed in HELP NAMES, Naming conventions for planets are (unless specifically named) are zonename-suffix (RA-3051-Kerrind for example).

2) That's a shortcoming of our clothing slot system, with stuff only being able to be in one clothing slot - something I'd like to rework when time permits.

3) Yeah, faction-owned clans is possible, we added that to Achaea, and it worked pretty well.

4) Probably a forums thread would be the best option here, once things are a bit more established, we'll open up editing on the wiki for established players (like we do on Achaea and a couple of the other games).
  • tysandr said:
    How do we avoid heat death?

I guess I am a little worried about, as mentioned, players segregating into dynasties & FT becoming quiet-like.
    1) I'd say our players are just too cool for that - get it? Cool = not hot? You know... Ok, I'll see myself out.
    2) Definitely, that's why we're not putting houses/guild equivalents in. Dynasties are great, but most of our conflict and admin-led roleplay will be aimed at factions, not dynasties. They're our core "collective" as it were.
  • Tecton said:

2) Yep, there's a lot of further changes involving hacking coming up in the future.

Awesome! I was really into hacking for a while but was disappointed that the only purpose most of the time was just to explore. After I explored everything behind them, well...
    wandering star punk

• Solus said:
    I've asked this previously but there are a bunch of skills that are redundant due to both class and skirmishing/exploration having the same effect. I.E Slink/Conceal, Dash Skirmishing, and Dash guile, or Bloodburn/bloodsinge. Seems highly redundant and the class versions are also higher down the skill trees compared to their counterparts, if possible can we have these skills changed into something else or buffed?

Also is there any plans to make cover more useful in PvE? Or will this strictly be a PvP thing?

Last but not least and of the utmost importance! Drugs! What are your plans for the drug trade skill? How will it work and when do we get our dirty little hands on these things!?
    1) Definitely, reworking some of the duplication here and some other consistency changes are on the cards for the future.
    2) No immediate plans, but something I do want to look into! Like other things, it's a delicate balance, don't really want it trivialize PVE content.
    3) We've got some designs in play, nothing completely finalised yet though. As to when, not for a while yet - getting the current systems all working great is the current goal. Once that's done, we'll start adding new systems.
  • Cubey said:
    Rkansas said:

This. Arenas are implemented so well in other IRE games, compared to that pvp in Starmourn feels so basic and unsupported.
    No SPARWHO, no ARENA WATCH, no support for team games*, technically there's support for free for alls* but did anyone see a single FFA game since Starmourn launched? I sure didn't. All of that is already implemented in existing IRE titles so you'd think you can copy existing code with minimal changes.
    Maybe there are huge backend problems involved and I'm just being ignorant, dunno. So my question is: are we going to have anything done about this any time soon?
    * - the default omni arena is too small for anything bigger than 1v1 anyway, so we'd need to enlarge it first.
    Double-quoting since these are related.

Yep, all of this stuff will come in time. You have to remember that the other IRE games have had 15+ years of development and we've only been open for 6 weeks :) Adding them is not overly problematic, just not a priority until the existing launch systems are where we want to see them in terms of fun/balance.

• Zhulkarn said:
    Tecton said:
    Thessia said:
    Mod drops are painfully low. Is that intended at the moment, with players supplying all our mod needs once we get things going? How are low level modders supposed to get started? I'm at 3 mods after 15k kills here.
    Yeah, the modding system hasn't worked out as well as we'd envisioned, so we're adding some new mechanics in the near future to help modders get started and advance their research without relying strictly on drops.
    1. Another mod question! Will you keep mods having level restrictions in the future? Because, it appears to me that people would be less inclined to buy such things at lower levels and save their marks for the future when they are more stat-competent. Also it feels like armormodders would be more inclined to buy them off from the hands of low level players if all mods had no level restriction.

2. Removal of level cap was mentioned. Will the additional levels be devoid of significant advantages (i.e item lvls, extra stats, more health)? Some people might prefer to reach an optimal level and concentrate on PvP. In the case that incentives are still noticeably providing an edge, it can be tiresome after awhile. What is your stance on this?
    1) Hard to say if we will - one advantage with mods having level restrictions is that it lets us hide some rare/ultra rare drops in the lower levels as well, giving you a bit of a boost in those levels, while not creating massive imbalances down the line.

2) Level-up rewards past a certain predefined threshold will scale back/disappear, yes. Don't have any final information here yet, since nothing is set in stone.
  • Arsentar said:
    Oh, two more things I am curious about. 

1: Is there any chance we'll get the ability to describe our weapons, whether as a part of a tradeskill or artefact or any such?

2: Someone told me the ability to directly look at what someone is wearing is already implemented, but I can never get to make it work myself. Is it really in? And if not, any plans to make it so?
    1) Item customization will come after beta, yep.

2) Not something currently implemented, no.
  • Any chance of moving pve balancing/updates for classes that need it up some? I imagine most of the population mostly bashes at this point. 

Some classes, BEASTs as least, feel thematically terrible to be hunting with. It's like you're using a different class than you signed up for.

Please let me use my weapon library instead of pimpslap into shiv as clearly the best and thus only option 
  • I had a couple Engineer based questions mostly, those being -

1.  Just what in the heck does Bot Harass do? Does it actually incur a balance timer? If so, how long? Why can't we know these basic things?

2. For the love of the ancients, could Gadgets Pull be used for bashing/pve to attempt to control or deal with aggro mobs?  That's what I thought it was at first and was 
    delighted at the possibilities. Then I found out it was pvp only. Boo.

And as far as checking ship builds and templates and such in the Shipforge, could we pleaaase have some way to make full builds and such BEFORE having to buy a 
    bloody superstructure??  Thanks for the great game so far, been having fun the last week or so!
  • Any plans for more collectibles like the snow globes? Like figurines, stamps, creature cards, etc.

Also, are there more snow globes incoming?
  • edited January 2019
    Rylek said:
    Any chance of moving pve balancing/updates for classes that need it up some? I imagine most of the population mostly bashes at this point. 

Some classes, BEASTs as least, feel thematically terrible to be hunting with. It's like you're using a different class than you signed up for.

Please let me use my weapon library instead of pimpslap into shiv as clearly the best and thus only option 
    More weapon options is our #1 prio BEAST update at the moment!
  • Hylebos said:
    I had a couple Engineer based questions mostly, those being -

1.  Just what in the heck does Bot Harass do? Does it actually incur a balance timer? If so, how long? Why can't we know these basic things?

2. For the love of the ancients, could Gadgets Pull be used for bashing/pve to attempt to control or deal with aggro mobs?  That's what I thought it was at first and was 
    delighted at the possibilities. Then I found out it was pvp only. Boo.

And as far as checking ship builds and templates and such in the Shipforge, could we pleaaase have some way to make full builds and such BEFORE having to buy a 
    bloody superstructure??  Thanks for the great game so far, been having fun the last week or so!
    1) Knocks your target off-balance, if they're already off balance, knocks them further off balance. Currently 2 seconds.
    2) Should work for most mobs, just wont work for certain enemies, like faction and cosmpiercer guards.
    3) Yep, we've got a major refit of the shipforge coming tonight or tomorrow, including this functionality.

• Lhundrup said:
    Any plans for more collectibles like the snow globes? Like figurines, stamps, creature cards, etc.

Also, are there more snow globes incoming?
    Yep, and yep!
  • Are there more general skills planned? Both those like Captaincy/Hacking and like Skirmishing.

I don't know if this can be said without spoilers on your part, but is there anything that you're looking forward to as a developer? 
  • Sorry for the additional question, will it be possible to allow complete reversion to the natural index when deleting custom indices in the future?
    Character: Vega
    Faction: Song Dominion
    Class: Engineer 

note: I am always up for RP, antagonistic or friendly. If she's being a bitch, it's because you're from Scatterhome or she's trying to meet a deadline and has nothing to do with whether I want to RP with you or not. Thanks in advance for the RP!

• edited January 2019
    Annesani said:
    Are there more general skills planned? Both those like Captaincy/Hacking and like Skirmishing.

I don't know if this can be said without spoilers on your part, but is there anything that you're looking forward to as a developer? 
    In the future, without a doubt! Nothing immediately planned though.

I think the biggest thing I was looking forward to was opening day, being able to finally show you guys what we'd been working on for the previous 2 years. Post-launch, I'm really looking forward to how players will take the tools we've given them and shape the world!

• Vega said:
    Sorry for the additional question, will it be possible to allow complete reversion to the natural index when deleting custom indices in the future?
    You mean for orghelp files? Yeah, having things go back to the original index should happen - we'll get it fixed up if it's not.
  • is there a possibility for clothing/food/jewelery creators to be able to list their clothing/food/jewelery in a public place for people to sift through and possibly even buy? Even if it were just a list and they still had to contact the player to have it made would be cool.
  • Tecton said:
    Ephemera said:
    Do you plan on bringing over any sort of housing system? 
    You have housing on your ship! But yes, there's plans for a colonization system in the future.

I completely forgot the ship...

D'oh!
    "Tell me of your home world, Usul."
  • Any plans to have modding provide interim rewards rather than the current >1 YR RL waiting period before anyone can make any mods?
This discussion has been closed.