Skip to content

Q+A Madness - Jan/Feb 2019

Hey everyone!

While things are still crazy, I find myself with a couple of spare minutes in my day to open up a new Q+A thread to answer your burning questions about all things Starmourn. Ask away and I'll answer them as soon as possible!

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Datashards??????

EDIT: First!
  • When are ships going to get a look at, talking skipdrives, missles and shipsim cycles, etc, etc.
  • Reon said:
    When are ships going to get a look at, talking skipdrives, missles and shipsim cycles, etc, etc.
    The next ship numbers passes and tweaks run is scheduled after the upcoming Cosmpiercer updates, and the bounty hunting system! You'll likely start seeing the first changes next week sometime.
  • Who built Krell, specifically Biloxan?
  • Any intention of adding honors quests?
  • Can we expect any kind of game-wide events during Beta?
  • Heya Tecton! Any word on crafting updates? More pressingly, increasing design limit from 50? Our marks are burning a hole in our pockets!

p.s.: you all rock
  • What's the mystery with the Urbanity of Hox? I want to explore it, but not even the story let me into it...
    wandering star punk

• edited January 2019
    How do Skipdrives work, from an IC perspective?

Edit: Like I know they make wormholes, but is there some technobabble please?
  • What was the developer vision with Nanotech Affinity?

What are the numbers for Oblivion Jolt? 

Is it correct that each successive freeze stack makes your next freez deal 8% more of Freeze's base damage?

Is Nanotech Recall not having an option for individual options intended or an oversight?

What exactly is EM supposed to do to people?

Does Drain have a super-niche use or is there some secret OP way to use it?
  • Any intention of creating orgs similar in functions to guilds/houses?
  • Are there things that you expected players to have found already that no one seems to be engaging with that you wish someone in beta would test out?
    Character: Edon
    Race: Elgan
    Class: Engineer
  • What is the official position on 50-75 hunting areas?  Do you believe them to be in good shape?
    Any additional hunting areas to be added in the near term?
    Any new classes in the foreseeable future?
    What is the planned permanent level cap?  Any planned increase?
  • Who built Krell, specifically Biloxan?
    It was started by a volunteer builder, and finished/polished/bugfixed by @Oryx
  • Any intention of adding honors quests?
    Yep! You'll probably see those in future areas
  • Can we expect any kind of game-wide events during Beta?
    Now that the initial rush of craziness is starting to settle down, yes, you'll start seeing some RP events. We'll also be opening up a volunteer call in the near future to get some more hands on deck for running small and large scale admin-driven RP events.
  • What kind of changes are on the table for modding skills in the future? 
  • Are you going to retroactively give an achievement for level75 so I can feel cool? I was 8th to 75 btw when you do!
  • Tecton said:
    Can we expect any kind of game-wide events during Beta?
    Now that the initial rush of craziness is starting to settle down, yes, you'll start seeing some RP events. We'll also be opening up a volunteer call in the near future to get some more hands on deck for running small and large scale admin-driven RP events.
    Will this call involve giving up your player character similar to how other IREs run?

Or can I finally fulfill my dream of running RP events without having to give up my precious gaming?
  • Desmond said:
    Heya Tecton! Any word on crafting updates? More pressingly, increasing design limit from 50? Our marks are burning a hole in our pockets!

p.s.: you all rock
    Definitely on the cards, especially things like designs designated to other orgs freeing up slots. I don't have a definitive timeline for this yet, but it's on the books!
  • Zack said:
    What's the mystery with the Urbanity of Hox? I want to explore it, but not even the story let me into it...
    That's something that will be revealed in the future!
  • Zhulkarn said:
    What kind of changes are on the table for modding skills in the future? 
    Better research options to help craftspeople flesh out their stable of items a little better.

Another idea I'd pondered was moving proprietary parts from a per-mod to a per-manufacturer basis, so that when mastered, there's a bit more availability of parts for creating new mods.
  • How do Skipdrives work, from an IC perspective?

Edit: Like I know they make wormholes, but is there some technobabble please?
    https://www.starmourn.com/starships/ covers a bunch of this.

• What do all the faction rank names mean? Is there a glossary incoming?
  • Wuff said:
    What was the developer vision with Nanotech Affinity?

Is Nanotech Recall not having an option for individual options intended or an oversight?

What exactly is EM supposed to do to people?

I'm not going to give out numbers or strategies, so paring this down to the ones I will answer!

Affinity: It syncs with zap, and synergises well with other classes. Whether it's really worthy of being the capstone ability in the skill, that's a different story.

Recall: Intended, but we don't have any major objections to tweaking it to allow individual options.

EM damage is special, we designed it as a somewhat different damage system that has additional symptoms (the higher your EM buildup, the higher chance you have of your weapons failing to operate). One failing of EM is that it wasn't rebalanced when we made some other changes, so it's a little bit underwhelming and hard to stack at the moment. We'll get it fixed up so it's working better in the very near future.
  • Selador said:
    Are there things that you expected players to have found already that no one seems to be engaging with that you wish someone in beta would test out?
    Hmm.. most things have been discovered/tested, so we've been happy with that element.
  • Secos said:
    What is the official position on 50-75 hunting areas?  Do you believe them to be in good shape?
    Any additional hunting areas to be added in the near term?
    Any new classes in the foreseeable future?
    What is the planned permanent level cap?  Any planned increase?
    1) They're in pretty good shape now, there's still some balancing to do.
    2) Yep!
    3) Yeah, we've got a couple of class ideas sketched out. They won't be out for a while though!
    4) Eventually we'll likely not have a cap, so if people want to keep grinding through mobs like an blendtec blending an iphone, they can.
  • Zile said:
    Are you going to retroactively give an achievement for level75 so I can feel cool? I was 8th to 75 btw when you do!
    Hrrm, yeah, there's one in the system, but I guess it's not firing. We'll get it fixed up and retroactively applied.
This discussion has been closed.