Skip to content

Player character demographics

Before the game launched we had threads going about player choice speculation - race, class, faction, all that rot. For the lazy here's some links:
Today we're gonna validate those speculations by comparing with what people actually play. The test sample: top 200 player characters xp-wise. Why top 200? Because high level peeps are more likely to stick around than some level 5 Joe who plays the game for a few hours and gets bored. Also classes aren't visible on honors so none of that here, I'm not asking 200 folks one by one what their class is.
RESULTS
Race:
Human 49<br>Jin 44<br>Ry'nari 17<br>W'hoorn 17<br>Elgan 17<br>Decheeran 15<br>Amaian 11<br>Nusriza 9<br>Shen 8<br>Krona 7<br>Tukkav 4<br>Nath-el 2
Any surprises here? Mostly how sharp the dropoff is. Holy shit, look at that, it's like half the game is human or Jin (edgy human). On the other hand Krona are pretty popular, which is to say there's more of them than the apes and bugs as opposed to being rock bottom. Nusriza and Amaians are slightly more popular than I expected too, probably due to racial association with a somewhat popular org. Speaking of orgs.
Faction:
Scatterhome 87<br>Song 76<br>Celestine 42<br>None 3
Any surprises here? NOPE. I know Scatterhome has a lot of people but they're mostly lower level so didn't make it to the list.
And as an extra, gender:
Male 133<br>Female 43<br>Genderless 15<br>Non-binary 9
Talk about one sided eh.

Comments

• Oh my god, it's the 90s all over again.

There are no women on the internet! It was true all along! :scream:

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Surprised at the dropoff from Song to Celestine! And as a non-binary tukkav, I am a double-minority.  :)
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Any chance for a breakdown of each faction? Mostly, I'm curious to see if the gender imbalance is consistent across factions.
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • There's no girls in space. I blame George Lucas.
  • edited January 2019
    Kax said:
    Any chance for a breakdown of each faction? Mostly, I'm curious to see if the gender imbalance is consistent across factions.
    No concrete numbers, I didn't take any - only what I remember off the top of my head:
    Scatterhome has the largest gender imbalance, it also has the largest percentile of Male Human and Male Jin, aka Mr Generic characters (they're probably all Scoundrels too). Song and especially Celestine have more female/genderless (tree)/nonbinary characters, but still a majority of guys.
    In short, space is a sausagefest.
  • Hey now, my human male is a fury, not a scoundrel!
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • Human female Nanoseer and, yea, most recent census had males at 58.2% of population.
    I'm gone.
  • saturnine said:
    Human female Nanoseer and, yea, most recent census had males at 58.2% of population.
    Lower than Cubey's stats, which would put them at anywhere between 66-75% (depending on whether you want to compare them within the binary split or wider gender pool).

But then I suppose their methods of data collection are worth taking into account: top 200 players. I'm a cis female (allegedly!) playing a cis female but I'm not in the top 200 XP wise, so I wouldn't be counted. I don't want to get too bogged down in speculative pop science, but just for casual funsies: arguably men do represent a more sizable audience within Starmourn, but are also overrepresented among those driven to the hard grind? This would be consistent with stats on male vs. female gaming habits.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited January 2019
    We all knew Scatterhome was Reddit/4Chan personified. Nothing new has been revealed today.

Level 75
    -------------------------------
    #1 Sintor Supergalactic Starmourner   Male   Krona   (Song)
    #2 Sythiorn Supergalactic Starmourner   Genderless   Decheeran   (Song)
    #3 Nhudri Supergalactic Starmourner   Male   Jin   (Scatterhome)
    #4 Mika Supergalactic Starmourner   Male   Human   (Factionless)
    #5 Perfect Supergalactic Starmourner   Female   Human   (Scatterhome)
    #6 Arlixa Supergalactic Starmourner   Female   Jin   (Scatterhome)
    #7 Cyrn Supergalactic Starmourner   Male   Jin   (Song)

Below Level 75
    -------------------------------
    #8 Tzur Superstellar Starmourner   Male   Ry'nari   (Song)
    #9 Diligence Interstellar Starmourner    Non-Binary   Jin   (Scatterhome)
    #10 Zile Cosmic vanguard   Male   Jin   (Song)

Bear in mind, female players may not be playing female characters, and vice versa.

Non-binary players may be playing binary characters and vice versa. 

Humans may not be playing humans. Vice versa...?

The only Decheeran on the top 10 list seems to largely present as masculine OOCly and ICly. 

Our first/top player is a Krona. 
  • Oh no, no. We are not Reddit/4chan. I am soooo far from the stereotype of that demographic. Just imagining I'm surrounded by them makes me uncomfortable.
    I'm gone.
  • There would probably be less humans if we could reincarnate. I just picked human when I started because I hadn't read any lore on launch day.
  • edited January 2019
    I went with human because in the past I almost never have.

Re: 20+ I really like how even the class spread is.
    I'm gone.
  • Crag said:
    There would probably be less humans if we could reincarnate. I just picked human when I started because I hadn't read any lore on launch day.
    I wonder how much this applies to faction, as well.

I read through the stuff on Celestine and Song pre-launch and while there's plenty of flavor and history stuff, it didn't really leave a huge impression like "this is the military civilization" and "this is the plutocracy civilization". I only started to get a feel for the former when I played Song the first few days, and Celestine is still kind of a fuzzy question mark in my head. 

Scatterhome, on the other hand, seems pretty clearly identified as The Wild West...in Spaaaaaace.
  • I actually started as a Krona, and really liked the character's visuals and aesthetic. But somehow I couldn't get into the role--I felt like too much of a special snowflake. Not a commentary on Krona players, just in how my own RP felt. Couldn't connect with the character at all. Felt like one of those D&D joke characters like Sir Bearington, the way I was playing it.

I play a generic human now. I'm so much more comfortable, and I think it feels more natural and enjoyable for me and for those interacting with me too. 
  • Probably wrong, but it feels like Scatterhome will fluctuate wildly for a bit until we figure things out.
  • The idea that Human+Scoundrel = Generic Character is silly. There's a lot more to a character than class and race. Class doesnt even have to be the central theme of your roleplay, and human roleplay can practically go anywhere. If anything, I find the other races to be more prone to producing generic chars as people shoehorn themselves into the few things mentioned in the lore about their chosen race.
  • edited January 2019
    Only 9 of us NB folks up there? Huh.
  • edited January 2019
    I initially joined Song when Starmourn opened, but I switched to Celestine Ascendancy a week ago when I saw the faction population broken down elsewhere. Just doing my part to help balance population numbers.

If you want class info, just pull it from the json. Example https://www.starmourn.com//api//characters//vielar.json
  • Aebrua said:
    Only 9 of us NB folks up there? Huh.
    FWIW: I myself (and I imagine several other players) am/are nonbinary, but my character is not. If I imported one of two of my Lusternia characters they'd be NB, but this character just wasn't. My next one might be, if I alt. I figured it would be easier to play a character who conforms to one gender until I got a handle on how Starmourn's society functions in general.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • If we could reincarnate I'd probably go Nusriza. Kind of sad I picked Human.
  • They might provide a single free reincarnate later, cause you know.. cosmetic mods are a thing it seems.
  • I don't know that 30 is the "likely to stick around" cutoff right now, or even a week from now. 13-15 seems to be where the first xp falloff happens, and given that space is mindbogglingly big and gives flakk-all in terms of ground XP, someone could theoretically be in the top 10 captaincy ranks and still be under your cutoff.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • edited January 2019
    Getting to 30 isn't hard. Also the people who only do space stuff, and no bashing of any sort etc, are pretty few and far between. Even Mereas has started hunting more and more, despite being high-ranked captaincy. As did Mrithun before he disappeared.
    Outliers exist everywhere. There's no such thing as a perfect chart, when it comes to this kind of data, because of said outliers. Having high accuracy but missing a few people, is a lot better than the inflated alternative. It's also why I do 2-3 different lists, for clarity.
  • Engineer has been my saving grace re: land bashing :3
    Mereas Eyrlock
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Likely to be my last one for a while, now that the game has relatively stabilised in terms of concurrent / daily players.
    Level 10 and above (likely to be skewed)

Level 20 and above (a bit more realistic in terms of count)

Level 30 and above (imo the most likely to be staying long term, there's obviously outliers as I stated above)

This last one was purely because I could. This is everyone level 65 and above. Quite a massive dropoff of Engineers.

• I did 30-75 in Engineer (great bashing), then switched back to Nanoseer. :D
    Mereas Eyrlock
    - Ilyos (August 2019)