Skip to content

Lore Questions

Comments

• I would think that most ranged weapons have some sort of neuralink, it just seems like something that would be a matter of fact given that we have the level of tech that exists in the setting. However, in my own headcanon, a neuralink sight would most likely automatically aim towards center mass, making sure you land the shot but not necessarily making sure that it's a fatal one. It's more important to the targeting reticule that you hit your mark rather than hit your mark right in the flakkin' corneas. If you're a good shot though, you can disable the link and aim manually - maybe you'll miss, but if you're any scoundrel worth your marks, you'll hit somebody where they aren't expecting.

For what it's worth re: PIECE, every bit of flavor text that I can find points towards it being a space revolver, so I'm not sure why we can't reload when it isn't empty. IMO, it would make sense if Quickload was the default boring reloading skill that only reloads, and is usable outside of combat, but the other reload combos can't be used because they're attacks and require a target.
  • If I remember correctly (not a Scoundrel any more) eject says something about PIECEs being designed to disallow non-empty reloading. Some kinda safety feature. 
    I'm gone.
  • saturnine said:
    If I remember correctly (not a Scoundrel any more) eject says something about PIECEs being designed to disallow non-empty reloading. Some kinda safety feature. 
    Yes, this. That's why I'm asking about it.the only reason I can think of for that safety feature, possibly because I'm horribly uncreative, is that the shells are at least mildly dangerous on their own outside the gun.
  • Drop your unspent mag from your PIECE, forcing you to reload immediately. This action is generally blocked by the protections on your gun, and forcing this will cause that subsystem to restart, meaning this action can only be done once every 60 seconds.

Yep, seems that way, although no mention on why that's a safety precaution.

• The styling makes you think they're space revolvers or hand cannons, but then there's all just nonsense about magazines and clips so I don't know what they are anymore.
  • It's a one piece magazine with integrated ammunition. The gun converts the material in the magazine to ammunition and fires it. The material is volatile or radioactive or something, so it can't be ejected without danger to the user. Once used up (all volatiles converted) the remaining waste material of the magazine is safe to eject.
    Just my internal concept, no idea about accuracy.
  • bairloch said:
    It's a one piece magazine with integrated ammunition. The gun converts the material in the magazine to ammunition and fires it. The material is volatile or radioactive or something, so it can't be ejected without danger to the user. Once used up (all volatiles converted) the remaining waste material of the magazine is safe to eject.
    Just my internal concept, no idea about accuracy.
    The problem with that theory is the shellspill ability,  which describes you tossing shell-casings. If the magazine had fully integrated ammunition, it would be completely impossible to toss the shells of spent rounds.  Specifically:

Ejecting the spent magazine from your weapon and sliding a new one into place, you send the steaming, half-molten shells scattering across the ground with a jingling, rattling percussion.

So the magazines are almost certainly  disposable, but I don't think they're one-piece (Otherwise there's no way you could remove the shells), and I also don't think they manufacture the ammunition inside themselves, at least not the propellant. It's possible that the gun itself produces the "Bullet"  part of the shells, or at least the tips of the bullets. For one thing, I'd assume that you wouldn't want to get horribly technical with something that's going to get really, REALLY hot (The magazines are described as spent, steaming hunks of metal when used with the magtoss ability), and then be discarded. Probably you'd want to keep costs down to a minimum.
  • hadn't used that one yet, hmm...

• Honestly, I was hoping for something like this, but all that talk about magazines and clips makes it painfully obvious it isn't a revolver.

And that makes me sad.
  • @Thessia you can flavor it to be what you want. Some revolvers use clips anyway ( a moon clip is a real thing ) and honestly, even if it uses a magazine of some kind, you can still imagine it with a revolver barrel just because that shit is cool. Form and function don't necessarily have to align here, we are in the future after all.
  • What is a 'revolver barrel'?
  • Direct corollary, no, you won't be popping out the cylinder and popping out the rounds, to replace one by one or with a speed loader.

In terms of "has a rotating cylindrical magazine", it has no ejection port and contains it's shells after firing (Shellspill) Has an external hammer that clearly advances the ammunition (Rapidfire describes you fanning the hammer, quickload and spin describe you cocking the hammer), and uses physical shells (Shellspill again). It may not be a perfect corollary to modern revolvers, but there's no reason it wouldn't be a Destiny style hand-cannon that uses a cylindrical internal magazine.

As a sidenote: in the era of black-powder revolvers, some people would carry extra cylinders and replace the whole damn cylinder of a revolver rather than go through the laborious process of reloading. As someone who used to OWN a black-powder revolver (The hand broke), I can tell you there's a very good reason you'd do this! It's a pain. Food for thought.
  • I suppose that does give me something to chew on. Thanks @Fyrel.
  • Human Female Scoundrel

Consult image.
  • If it's just the same to you, Wuff, I think I'd rather make my assumptions based on HOW THE THING WORKS than on one image wherein we can't even see the entire pistol, thanks.

Especially given the possibility that the concepts for it have changed since that picture was made before even the CLOSED beta.
  • Fyrel said:
    As a sidenote: in the era of black-powder revolvers, some people would carry extra cylinders and replace the whole damn cylinder of a revolver rather than go through the laborious process of reloading. As someone who used to OWN a black-powder revolver (The hand broke), I can tell you there's a very good reason you'd do this! It's a pain. Food for thought.
    This is what I had in mind with my concept above, though the shellspill thing ruined it. You'd just pop in a new cylinder and fire until it was used up.
    I know a few blackpowder hunters who still do this, btw. :) 
  • Thessia said:
    What is a 'revolver barrel'?
    Me making a typo sorry, s/revolver barrel/cylinder. RIP. 
  • Oh yeah, that's where I got my idea. It was "stealing" from the Hammerverse as created by David Drake. I was thinking of their powerguns.

Powerguns

In the Hammer universe, a powergun is a weapon which projects high energy copper plasma toward its target. This plasma is created by inducing an electrical field in a precisely aligned group of copper atoms; the atoms' alignment causes a resonance which greatly amplifies the field energy and ionizes the atoms. The resulting plasma is directed by a firing chamber and barrel made of refractory metal, such as iridium; the chamber and barrel are cooled between shots by injected gas (typically nitrogen). The copper atoms are stored as individual charges, with the atoms held in the correct alignment by a plastic matrix which is mostly consumed by the firing. All the parts of a powergun require extremely precise machining and advanced materials, which makes powerguns very expensive; only the most successful mercenary units (or technologically advanced planets) can afford large numbers of powerguns. Powerguns are easily identified by the extremely bright cyan color of their plasma bolts; the electrical field also generates a broadband radio frequency discharge which can be picked up by the appropriate equipment. A powergun's recoil is far lower than a projectile weapon of equivalent size or firepower, as the copper atoms have low rest mass; the primary limit for powergun rate of fire is its ability to dissipate heat. Many smaller rapid fire powerguns use a multibarrel configuration, either a rotary gatling or a multi chamber mitrailleuse (the latter called a "calliope" in Slammers military slang.)[4]

• Having not seen this image of the Scoundrel before, I am prepared to reroll my character into a Scoundrel.
    vote ∘ Explore Nexus mods for Starmourn & Achaeandb for Nexus

• Look at the weapon in the image.
    Look at your abilities.
    Look at your weapon ingame.
  • Wuff said:
    Look at the weapon in the image.
    Look at your abilities.
    Look at your weapon ingame.
    What do you think people have been doing here? Like what? 
  • I'm not sure but not that, clearly.
  • I'm just going to ignore Wuff further than I have been, and ask if BEAST suits are extremely heavy, such that they could only be moved with the help of the suit itself or if the suits are made of some super-futuristic lightweight material that enables them to be extremely tough but also weigh less than 300 lbs.
  • Well, the description does say enhanced strength.

These are shock troops that seek to overwhelm their opponents with a panoply of weapons and the enhanced strength granted to them by their suits.
    But are you asking if it's so heavy it needs the enhanced strength to move plus as a bonus of wearing the armor? Or just the strength bonus?

Hey, wait. I know they said classes don't have stat bonuses, but this says right here enhanced strength. I'm confused...
  • edited January 2019
    Fyrel said:
    I'm just going to ignore Wuff further than I have been, and ask if BEAST suits are extremely heavy, such that they could only be moved with the help of the suit itself or if the suits are made of some super-futuristic lightweight material that enables them to be extremely tough but also weigh less than 300 lbs.
    And this is exactly why you're wrong!

Thanks, bye!

@bairloch Races don't have stat bonuses. I don't think anyone has ever said classes don't, but they don't.

The suit is an exoskeleton, it's all tech. Think like a tank. The person inside the tank doesn't open a flap in the bottom and carry it using their legs. Edit: Poorly phrased. The person isn't stronger, the suit just gives them more power and heft.

The technician (aka greasy nerd inside the suit) is controlling the suit.

Power rangers style.
  • Hey Wuff, I know that. You're very much getting into the "know-it-all" mode and that's why the other guy is making fun of you. Back it down.
    I was commenting on the fact that the description says it has a strength boost but the stats don't reflect it, class or race is unimportant.
    I know what an exoskeleton is. I've been reading scifi for 35 years. Get over yourself.
  • edited January 2019
    bairloch said:
    Hey Wuff, I know that. You're very much getting into the "know-it-all" mode and that's why the other guy is making fun of you. Back it down.
    I was commenting on the fact that the description says it has a strength boost but the stats don't reflect it, class or race is unimportant.
    I know what an exoskeleton is. I've been reading scifi for 35 years. Get over yourself.
    Eesh... It's fine, you're thick and unobservant, we can accept that and work with it, there's no need to be defensive or call someone a know-it-all because they're answering questions on a question thread.

Someone does need to get over themselves and it's not me here, 35-years-of-sci-fi-reading-expertise-friend!

You're... What... 46 (based on how slow you come across as) and you're actually getting into petty shit like this? Sounds like you really do have a lot more to get over than just yourself!

• @fyrel like for many other questions like that, my answer would be both. It's whatever you want it to be. The concept art for the first one looks like Iron Man's Mark1, where there's no way somebody could move that by themselves. You need the suit's strength to move the suit.

But if you look at the Rynari concept art, it's more like small armor plates that don't fully lock you inside a suit. That one is probably like your second example, strong but lightweight materials that anybody can just put on.
  • What makes you think that Ry'Nari is a BEAST? He's "gun-toting", not integrated. Looks like just a soldier to me.
    The rest of your post I agree with, however.
  • I don't see why it matters if they're heavy or not.  You can make them however you want.  If I want to have a huge bulky suit then I can, and if the person next to me wants to have theirs made out of synthweave then so be it.  It makes no difference.